R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Track condititions (especially traction) were phenominal! Perhaps one of the Toledo club members will elaborate but, the traction compound used was alcahol, castor oil, & mountain dew syrup. I con't know the ratios, but it is the best! Rain did not wash it off either.

I may have a different opinion, as you can see my car rolls alot in the videos. Sometimes I think we're getting a little carried away with additive surface treatment. Castor oil is really the secret sauce. In nitro racing, it builds up naturally from the cars. Along with the rubber laid down by the cars, This forms the grove to stay in... and bite comes up overtime. Which makes me wonder why we actually need to pretreat the surface with it. At the worlds... no pretreatment is allowed. Pretreatment is necessary in parkinglot races where there was no grove formed before, and you may need to get one going quickly, However in permanent tracks The grove is always there, and from time to time all that really may be necessary is to sweep or blow off the dust. Thats my 2 cents..
Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #32
Tech Rookie

nice videos, thanks.
sort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Tom, my car rolled a time or two when I put taller tires on it. No problem with smaller tires. Personally, I don't think you can have too much traction on the track surface. The racer can allways choose to run harder compound tires or other set-up changes to reduce traction. Tire wear was so low that one did not need to put larger tires on for the main. I did, but the wear was so slight that I regret that decision.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #34
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Have to agree with Duneland never to much traction. Car set-up is the key.
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Ron....I have shotgun calling pit area next to you and Nick......
We have only 1 race since Chicago MWS...........we are SO SCREW that we have zero chance to run our 1/8th at all..............I can use any help from you at Cinnci....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Howard, you will have to find Nick. I won't get there until Sat. eve. I have to attend my daughters confirmation Sat. morning. I will have to make do with one qualifier and main.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbob
Have to agree with Duneland never to much traction. Car set-up is the key.
Like an idiot I bought 20 sets of tires before the season started, and didn't get an 37's... Oh well... gotta make do with some stiffer setup...
Old 09-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Tom, I will have to look at your car in Cincy. 35's have worked for me all year. Smaller 71mm tires are used on high traction tracks and Larger 76mm rears are used for lower traction.

Traction roll issues can be taken care of with a wider front end or putting the spacers on the outside of the front hub bearings.
Thammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Howard, you will have to find Nick. I won't get there until Sat. eve. I have to attend my daughters confirmation Sat. morning. I will have to make do with one qualifier and main.
Ron....got it, Nick already PM me...thanks...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Default traction

the club resealed the asphalt this week. i think a newly sealed track will be a bit slicker than what we had before. those 35's may not be a bad idea. i know that the guys with ntc3's ran 45 front and 40 rear. that might be a bit too hard for the new surface. I run 35 front and 25 rear on my avance(235mm). the good part about the reseal is tires should last longer. Earlier in the year, the 25's would only last one half hour main. we have a club race this weekend and should get a bit of a groove down. I can't race this weekend so i won't know until monday what the track is like.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanaddict
the club resealed the asphalt this week. i think a newly sealed track will be a bit slicker than what we had before. those 35's may not be a bad idea. i know that the guys with ntc3's ran 45 front and 40 rear. that might be a bit too hard for the new surface. I run 35 front and 25 rear on my avance(235mm). the good part about the reseal is tires should last longer. Earlier in the year, the 25's would only last one half hour main. we have a club race this weekend and should get a bit of a groove down. I can't race this weekend so i won't know until monday what the track is like.
Thanks for the info..........if that is true, then my tires are pretty much there (30s-35s)....and I do a have set of 25s (for my 835) just in case.....I thought I will never use the 25s, last time I used the 25s with like 3 years racing a 2.4 hour endurnace race with the track temperature around 45s...
Old 10-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Default tires

tires are a funny thing. i know another guy with an avance who runs 35's on the rear and doesn't have traction problems.i think driving style has something to do with it. i tend to carry too much speed into the turns and the 25's fit me a little better. they fixed my oversteer problem.
we painted the track yesterday. i hope you guys like lime green. it is a little brighter than the green we had before!
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hope to see everyone in Cincinnati for the MWS this weekend
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice

rc, will be down to scream the monkey one more time this year in Cincy. Understand you guys also repainted the track and freshened things up a bit also. Sounds great!

Please tell me you guys are not going to use that skirt wearing VHT stuff for traction. Never much fun when that happens. If you use the VHT, please spray the corners a little wider than 4 ft. It should make for better racing and happier racers.

Cann't wait to see the place. This maybe even a Saturday, Sunday visit.
Thammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:13 AM   #45
Tech Addict

ted you need to post your concerns on the tri-state rc autoracers site.

http://www.tsrcar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

They actually have a poll going wether or not to use VHT.