Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Synthetic Oil or Castrol Oil??? >

Synthetic Oil or Castrol Oil???

Synthetic Oil or Castrol Oil???

Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Synthetic Oil or Castrol Oil???

What oil is better to run in nitro cars?????
Old 09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TC3 SS
What oil is better to run in nitro cars?????
It's best to have both in your fuel
Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Is there a good pre-mixed fuel that has both???
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC3 SS
Is there a good pre-mixed fuel that has both???
Virtually all of the car specific fuels have both castor and sythentic oils pre-mixed. Odonnell is good fuel.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

use both, but if you only had to use 1 oil, then synthetic is the more imprtant/better oil to use....
Old 09-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been mixing my fuel for yrs and have learned that the castor is not good and will rob engines of power. I would suggest looking for synthetic oils w/o any castor content.

These riggers use a mix of 16% oil and the Twin uses 40% Nitro and the 67 Rigger uses 16% oil with 60% Nitro The twin runs in excess of 90 mph and the 67 runs high 80's thats in heat race mode......

James
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Riggers.bmp (78.6 KB, 183 views)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 22dasher
I've been mixing my fuel for yrs and have learned that the castor is not good and will rob engines of power. I would suggest looking for synthetic oils w/o any castor content.

These riggers use a mix of 16% oil and the Twin uses 40% Nitro and the 67 Rigger uses 16% oil with 60% Nitro The twin runs in excess of 90 mph and the 67 runs high 80's thats in heat race mode......

James

.....and they are most likely water coolded! Different ballgame all together.

Team Drivers at world championships use 3% oil and throw the engine away after the race. They don't pay for them though.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Castrol oil ?

Castor oil.

Castor Oil burns only at very high temp so presumably lubricates better. I think it is things of the past.

Synthetic burn cleaner ( less smoke ) and it also lubricates better due to high tech synthetic ingredients. Something like Klotz synthetic oils.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by asw7576
Castrol oil ?

Castor oil.
I know.... I realized after I posted...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Castor does not stick to your parts like synthetic does. This is both good and bad. Ever opened your motor and seen a blueish tinge to the parts? This is residual oil residue inside, which means it's bonded to your parts and continuing to protect them. That's the synthetic.

I had some very high end drivers (team drivers mostly) tell me to use fuels like Tornado, which has 9% oil, pure castor oil. I ran it in my old OS CV, and it ran so hot I couldn't run the fuel. However, they swore up and down that this fuel will make the most power and make your engine run cooler than most. It is very expensive due to the castor content, so they said, since castor is expensive, supposedly, and synthetic is cheaper which they told me is why so many fuels use it.

I don't know what to think anymore. I ran sidewinder during the last race, and when I switched back to blue thunder (my old reliable), suddenly my engine ran a whole ton better, even though that gallon of fuel is over 6 years old.

Bottom line? Everyone has a different opinion on fuel and the lubricants in it. All you can do is try it and see what happens.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Aphinity,

Tornado is a synthetic/castor blend. I use it for 1/8 onroad and get consistently lower temps than other brands...

You cant even compare it to blue thunder. BUT you must re-tune the motor completely when switching brands.

John
Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aphinity
Castor does not stick to your parts like synthetic does. This is both good and bad. Ever opened your motor and seen a blueish tinge to the parts? This is residual oil residue inside, which means it's bonded to your parts and continuing to protect them. That's the synthetic.

I had some very high end drivers (team drivers mostly) tell me to use fuels like Tornado, which has 9% oil, pure castor oil. I ran it in my old OS CV, and it ran so hot I couldn't run the fuel. However, they swore up and down that this fuel will make the most power and make your engine run cooler than most. It is very expensive due to the castor content, so they said, since castor is expensive, supposedly, and synthetic is cheaper which they told me is why so many fuels use it.

I don't know what to think anymore. I ran sidewinder during the last race, and when I switched back to blue thunder (my old reliable), suddenly my engine ran a whole ton better, even though that gallon of fuel is over 6 years old.

Bottom line? Everyone has a different opinion on fuel and the lubricants in it. All you can do is try it and see what happens.
Sorry, but somebody told you BS. Tornado, which I'm running since I'm back in Europe has only 2% castor and 7% synth. They tried a blend w/o any castor last year and had some BAD results, so now they are back to castor.

Imho, the 9% overall oil content is way to low, the wear on my engines is horrable.

I'm now switching to custom blend fuel with 8% synth and 4% castor, like I ran in the US.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

stefan,

1st you are lucky...the quality of fuel in europe is much higher than here. But you have noticed alot more wear with Tornado? Compared to what fuel? I am interested in this as I run Tornado.

John

P.S. I have been VERY happy so far with Tornado?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Why you have to add more oil if you already use good brand of fuels ? Tornado, O'donnel, Byron, those are good fuel. Adding more oil also means less power and more pollution, am I right ?

I'm using O'donnel 25% and Tornado 25%. Tornado runs cooler, but O'donnel runs cleaner. I switch between the two, see no problem whatsoever.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

hi guys, 1 side question.

how do u guys know the percentage of oil in your fuel?

i`m running blue thunder 25% and it doesn`t state anywhere on the bottle about the percentage of oil content.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.