R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
Tech Regular
 
Niklas Edlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dasher
I've been mixing my fuel for yrs and have learned that the castor is not good and will rob engines of power. I would suggest looking for synthetic oils w/o any castor content.

These riggers use a mix of 16% oil and the Twin uses 40% Nitro and the 67 Rigger uses 16% oil with 60% Nitro The twin runs in excess of 90 mph and the 67 runs high 80's thats in heat race mode......



James
The reason we use mostly synthetics in boat fuel is that over 40% nitro the recin mixes badly with the other ingredients... In 3.5 cc heatracing outriggers & summertime (+15 deg C or warmer) we use about 60% nitro with anything from like 14 % oil to 20%. I use 16% oil that is a mix of synthetic and recin (Super Techniplate) works great, even at 60 nitro. Others use all recin oil in their 40% fuel and no noticable issues at all - depends on what tollerances are in your engines also etc. But when using 60% nitro we never, ever lean it out. We use very high compression and burn a lot of fuel so its rich all the time giving more power without needing to lean it out. A completely different ball game as mentioned.

Its very, very few car fuels on the market today that is all synthetic - I dont know any. Most brands use at least a few % of recin/castor oil for extra security. The built-up oil film is so much higher with that - giving a little bit more safety when leaning it out too much as most car guys do from time to time.

My rigger with an Sirio "Marine" engine in it:
Attached Thumbnails
Synthetic Oil or Castrol Oil???-sirio4.jpg  
Niklas Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 467
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Another good reason we don't run castor in out boat fuel is it won't mix with anything over 40% nitro content.



James
22dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
Platinum_Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rowley MA
Posts: 1,844
Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing
Default

Castor oil and synthetic oil both have there advantages and disadvantages. Castor oil will break down with heat and friction, forming a barrier between the piston and sleeve. Synthetic oil will tend to burn off and leave hardly any residue behind. It's this combination of synthetic and castor oil that makes up Blue Thunder's ZX-7 additive in Sport formulas. The Synthetic oil is less prone to wear by friction, but when tempuratures rise it will burn with the fuel instead of break down into a layer of "gum" between the piston and sleeve.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

My rc friend is using Trinity fuels 20% ( like grapefruit juice ). He chose Trinity fuels after his LHS guy showed him some fuels demonstration.

A spoon of each Tornado, O'donnel, Trinity fuels are dropp on glass table. The LHS guy burned the fuel and let it burned completely. The LHS guy then asked my friend to feel the oil residue on the glass. Tornado and O'donnel residue are slightly slippery while Trinity's residue is the most slippery.

What do you think ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Niklas Edlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Uppsala
Posts: 306
Default

Interesting, Trinity is mixed by Wildcat and they only use Klotz oils in their fuel...
Niklas Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:15 AM   #21
Tech Regular
 
Hesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Blighty
Posts: 387
Default

yup and they mention the oil content to
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice
 
Aphinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N Vancouver, BC
Posts: 81
Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity
Default

I'm not surprised I was pointed in the wrong direction with Tornado. The people I was speaking to were extremely biased towards it.

I still do not believe it to be better than the Blue Thunder I run, which I am 100% convinced is because my motor is a piece of $h1t. I know that. It needs the extra lubricant, whatever is different, in order to run right.

Tuned to the same level with the same overall feeling for power, the Tornado ran about 20 or 30 degrees hotter in the same motor over blue thunder in my old old OS CV engine.

It's interesting how the theory that synthetic is always better, in the case of 4 stroke full-size engines, does not carry through on these motors. I'd love to have the $ and time to spend to figure out exactly which lubricant is better.

Maybe I'll try mixing my own fuel.... put some amsoil 2 cycle synthetic in it
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charleston,SC
Posts: 970
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I started mixing my own fuel a few months back. I use an oil mixture of 8% Klotz Synthetic and 2% Klotz Castor,for a total of 10% oil, with oustanding results. I've put 3 gallons of my home brew through my OS 18TM,and it has treated me every bit as good as the O'Donnell 30% I used to use. Several people at my local track have started using my fuel and I get compliments all of the time.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #24
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I started mixing my own fuel a few months back. I use an oil mixture of 8% Klotz Synthetic and 2% Klotz Castor,for a total of 10% oil, with oustanding results. I've put 3 gallons of my home brew through my OS 18TM,and it has treated me every bit as good as the O'Donnell 30% I used to use. Several people at my local track have started using my fuel and I get compliments all of the time.
Hugh, that's exactly the mixture I made when I was living in the States (greenville, SC) and it works awesome

Seems to be the good ol' boys recipe
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #25
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,337
Default Fuel.......

Ok......Chemically
There is alot of good argument to support the use of a very low % of good quality
castor oil, mixed with synthetic, this enables a more chemically balanced mix for combustion purposes.
But !!
With such variation in temperatures (weather that is), Biometric pressures and air density,
I would say between 8 and 12% of ALL synthetic oil (Of high quality such as Klotz) would be the best to run for most conditions, if it's to be produced for the "masses". But even here, in some conditions, this will not run as well as a similar but slightly different recipy running in the motor alongside you.
I'm afraid it comes down to nature and the weather man....lol

Unless your going to have a different fuel for each weather condition, there's no such thing as perfect fuel.
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Tech Regular
 
Hesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Blighty
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Hugh, that's exactly the mixture I made when I was living in the States (greenville, SC) and it works awesome

Seems to be the good ol' boys recipe
hey guys did you use the klotz super techniplate 80/20 oil blend? I guess the R/C modellube techniplate is pure synthetic oil and you need to add castor to your fuel blend.
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:53 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
hey guys did you use the klotz super techniplate 80/20 oil blend? I guess the R/C modellube techniplate is pure synthetic oil and you need to add castor to your fuel blend.
Nope, I used original Techniplate and Benol
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RARE!! Tamiya Honda Castrol Civic VTi - Kit #: 58127 NIB needrcspeed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 06-20-2007 07:53 AM
Synthetic Rubber Cement steponit! Malaysian R/C Racers 2 12-12-2006 05:18 AM
Tamiya Castrol Civic calvin3 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-19-2005 06:46 PM
Synthetic vs Castor jamiekulhanek Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 1 01-04-2005 01:28 PM
Castrol Toms Supra 2000 -devil Electric On-Road 3 01-30-2003 05:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net