R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Brand new HPI RS4 3 Evo+ won't start (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/833710-brand-new-hpi-rs4-3-evo-wont-start.html)

buggym 08-31-2014 07:48 AM

Brand new HPI RS4 3 Evo+ won't start

Hi!

Yesterday, I bought brand new HPI Nitro RS4 in local store. Unfortunately, something is wrong with that car.

Tank is filled with HPI Powerfuel 16%, plug & starter are working, but I can't start my engine.

I was pulling pull starter for about 5 mins... without success. There wasn't too much fuel in the cylinder.

What can be a problem?

PS: Sorry for my horrible language, i'm Polish.

Evo 13 08-31-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by buggym (Post 13503657)
Hi!

Yesterday, I bought brand new HPI Nitro RS4 in local store. Unfortunately, something is wrong with that car.

Tank is filled with HPI Powerfuel 16%, plug & starter are working, but I can't start my engine.

I was pulling pull starter for about 5 mins... without success. There wasn't too much fuel in the cylinder.

What can be a problem?

PS: Sorry for my horrible language, i'm Polish.

Don't feel bad, those cars are notoriously known for being difficult to start the first time.

Here are some basic steps to follow. Put a blow dryer to the engine to warm it up a bit. Then Make sure you prime the engine, but not too much, and slightly loosen the glow plug. Also, make sure your glow igniter is fully charged.

buggym 08-31-2014 09:48 AM

Thanks for your help. My engine finally started but... it works only when I throttle, then stops.

Evo 13 08-31-2014 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by buggym (Post 13503860)
Thanks for your help. My engine finally started but... it works only when I throttle, then stops.

You might be choking the engine, try to leave the carburetor open just a bit so the engine could breath.

Taylorm 08-31-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by buggym (Post 13503860)

..is the idle set high enough???...is there a tiny gap between the carb slide and the body of the carb?....it may be closing off completely with the servo in the neutral position.......

buggym 08-31-2014 03:49 PM

Idle is properly set. There's 1 mm gap in neutral position.

Other needles are in factory position. Here is a photo:
s27.postimg.org/8gkmz6zhv/DSC01665.jpg

Also, I've noticed that fuel consumption is terrible. About 1/2 of my tank was consumed in 4 minutes (wheels were in the air, half acceleration).

bluer322 08-31-2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by buggym (Post 13504464)
Idle is properly set. There's 1 mm gap in neutral position.

Other needles are in factory position. Here is a photo:
s27.postimg.org/8gkmz6zhv/DSC01665.jpg

Also, I've noticed that fuel consumption is terrible. About 1/2 of my tank was consumed in 4 minutes (wheels were in the air, half acceleration).

If the motor is not broke in already, you need to turn idle up more to make sure it stays on and drive it for a few tanks to break the motor in first. once you do this you can start to lean the high speed needle 1 hour at a time. :spidey: