Search

How to disassemble an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default How to disassemble an engine?

Hello All,
I need help removing the riston\sleeve, con rod, and crankshaft. I have never completely disassembled an engine before so I am stuck. I have it all apart and I don't see a good way to remove these last parts. I need to completely disassemble the engine so I can clean it from metal shavings from a broken one-way. so far every thing looks good, I just need to get it all apart.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiSuperTruck
Hello All,
I need help removing the riston\sleeve, con rod, and crankshaft. I have never completely disassembled an engine before so I am stuck. I have it all apart and I don't see a good way to remove these last parts. I need to completely disassemble the engine so I can clean it from metal shavings from a broken one-way. so far every thing looks good, I just need to get it all apart.
Thanks
Try Dynamite!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heres a general way of dissassembling the engine-
- Remove back plate/pullstart mechanism
- Remove cooling head assembly
- Remove piston sleeve (you may need to use a cable tie thru the exhaust port to help get it out)
- Once sleeve is removed, take piston off crank pin (you can do this thru the back plate area)
- Remove piston
- Remove clutch assembly, engine collet etc
- Remove crank
Old 09-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh, and make sure you take note of the direction the piston went in before you remove it .
Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndyT ©
Oh, and make sure you take note of the direction the piston went in before you remove it .
Blahah, I been there man!! Put one together wrong and she just didn't want to run.

To get the sleeve popped up, stick a couple zip ties thru the exhaust port. You do have the manifold off right? ; )~ Then with a wrench on the clutch nut or flywheel nut roll the engine over and the sleeve will pop up. If it's tight it may cut the zips in half and you'll have to try multiple times to get it to pop.

When you go to take the rod off the crank pin, rotate the piston all the way to the top and turn the engine upside down. Hold your hand under it though so the piston doesn't fall to the ground. And yes mark the top with a dot or sharpie so you know for sure how it is supposed to be orientated in the engine. The dot will wear off so when you get it out look to see if there are any holes or skirts in the bottom of the sleeve to see which way they go.

Good luck to ya man!! You're the guy with the novarossi right? I'd really replace the bearings in a engine that expensive also!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LosiSuperTruck
Hello All,
Thanks
Here you can find a very good article with pictures on engine rebuild

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild.asp

AFM
Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

jbrow1, thanks for the zip tie tip, couldn't have removed it without that tip. I would like to replace the bearings, but that was the only thing I couldn't remove. I heated the engine up to 275 and it still didn't budge. I think I got them really clean though. The engine looks spotless. I am just waiting on my one-way bearing. Plus the bearings would cost like $80

afm, nice article.

So far, everything looks to be in good condition.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the bearings are stuck, you may need to borrow/purchase a bearing puller to get them out.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You're welcome. And I didn't realize the bearings were so expensive!! Guess I'd give it a go just cleaning them too! I had a motor recently that sucked in a bunch of dirt due to filter falling off. Took apart cleaned up, and still ran like puke. And when I took apart again it was dirty again. So I pulled the bearings and low and behold behind the outer bearing there was a ton of dirt there stockpiled to get back into the engine.

But you said in your other post if I remember correctly that the engine never even started, so I doubt you got any stuff that far back into the engine anyways. And yeah, bearings are a pain in the rear to get out without the right tools.

Again, good luck to ya!! Novas are awesome engines!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

With bearing pullers do I need to pre-heat the engine? Do I have to heat the engine and bearings to put them back in? Can someone post a l ink to the tool that I need?
Thanks