R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Which type of RC nitro is this?

Hello everyone!!

I recently got my old RC nitro car from my brother who lives in another state. It's an HPI model dating back 2004 or earlier. It hasn't been used for over 8-9 years. I need some help figuring out couple of things.

1. I need to know what model is this car (1/10, 1/12 , etc). I definitely know it is an HPI model and it has an OS engine 15 CV-RX. But I do not know if it is RS4, RS3, etc.... in length it measures approximately 17 inches long

2. Should I spend a couple of hundred dollars on fixing it and tuning it up? It definitely needs a new remote control, Air Filter, intensive cleaning, new battery holder, possibly new tires, etc. Or should I just spend the same amount of money and buy a new one in working conditions?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Which type of RC nitro is this?-top-view.jpg   Which type of RC nitro is this?-bottom-view.jpg  
javiermp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

RS4-2 or a Super RS4
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The chassis is definitely a Super Nitro RS4. I don't know if you want to invest a ton of money into it. Since the car was discontinued a few years ago, parts are getting hard to come by. Bodies for it are definitely hard to get because I have one and stocked up on parts, bodies, etc knowing this would happen. The car itself is not in bad shape and would be a decent street/parking lot basher if that is all you are planning to do with it.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.

Last edited by JLock; 08-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

That'd be a nice restoration project.

PS: It's up to you, but I wouldn't hurry that project, the return of investment could become very short lived. Clean it up first, then visit a club and an enthusiast will come to aid and might get it up and running for you.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the response guys...

I really just want to use it during the summer with the kids. Definitely not for professional racing. I do have some old parts that I can reuse (Body, old .12 engine, etc. ).

My biggest concern is the remote control. I have the RX with the crystals for 27.145 but the remote control is in really bad shape. What would be the best way to get a replacement TX. Or should I replace both the TX and RX with something more up to date?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I have one that I got off eBay as a restoration. Parts seem to be plentiful right now and there are still hpi/megatech/rc damper hop ups available. Tires are limited to hpi's one rim and compound because of the size. There is a company in Canada that's on eBay that makes new bodies. They are mold to order so there is a little lead time, but they run about $35 for the body and $30 for the decal set. people are asking crazy money for original hpi bodies, but they don't sell.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiermp40 View Post
Thanks for the response guys...

I really just want to use it during the summer with the kids. Definitely not for professional racing. I do have some old parts that I can reuse (Body, old .12 engine, etc. ).

My biggest concern is the remote control. I have the RX with the crystals for 27.145 but the remote control is in really bad shape. What would be the best way to get a replacement TX. Or should I replace both the TX and RX with something more up to date?

Thanks.
Just replace both the Tx and Rx. You can get a new, entry-level spektrum-type radio for under $80. I know that Spektrum, Futaba, and Airtronics offer models that most hobby shops carry for around $60 (before taxes). Then, you will never have to worry about radio interference.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
I have one that I got off eBay as a restoration. Parts seem to be plentiful right now and there are still hpi/megatech/rc damper hop ups available. Tires are limited to hpi's one rim and compound because of the size. There is a company in Canada that's on eBay that makes new bodies. They are mold to order so there is a little lead time, but they run about $35 for the body and $30 for the decal set. people are asking crazy money for original hpi bodies, but they don't sell.
Do you know the name of the company in Canada ?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks Guys.. I will post some pictures once I'm done with the restoration.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

I believe it to be a HPI RS4 racer2 or the super as mentioned. I believe the super was a little bigger than 1/10th scale. After the racer2 HPI when to a shaft drive system. I have one in stock form w/graphite upper plate and the belt tensioners and the two speed gear just like this one. Was a fast car in it's day. I will warn you that only drive it on a clean prepped surface because debris loves to get into the belt pulley's Great find!!
thesmogman is offline   Reply With Quote