Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3pk question please help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 3pk question please help..

so i ended up in new york this morning from new jersey, to pick up the new m11 radio, when i got to the store i made the guy take both radios out. so i put the m11 in my hand and it didnt feel right, not because it felt crazy in my hand, it just didnt feel good at all, plus it didnt have a battery, and spektrum wasnt out for it,i had to order a battery and blah blah..so i picked up the 3pk it felt right, plus it came with a bull shit battery,and spektrum is out now for it..

my question is whats the best way to charge the bullshit battery? my booklet said to charge the battery outside the radio and plug the other part into the radio then plug it all into the wall, could i just leave the battery inside the radio and just plug the wall part into the radio? why do i have to plug the female into the radio when the battery itself is not inside of it?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Another reason why I like Futaba radios, they feel good in the hand.

As for charging. Its best to charge outside of the radio as any sort of surge or power problem could harm the radio, while outside would only harm the battery.

I do this will all my electronics. Cameras , Video Cameras , TX Batteries. I just get whatever is needed and charge them seperate. Just for peace of mind even though most everything comes with internal charging capabilities I always think to myself how I dont want my TX to be a charger.

Just like using an xbox as a DVD player. I have a dvd player and dont want to waste my xbox on dvd's. Allthough some have good reason to make it both. Its hard to argue that its fine to do. It will use it more and im sure overtime kill it faster.

Also with batteries if they blow or leak its not good for it to be inside of your radio.

But some feel fine charging them inside and its quick and easy. Either way its your choice. Just figure in those factors.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

I also charge my TX battery ouside the radio, but for a different reason. When I got my 3PK it was without a battery, but it was supplied with a battery tray. I bought 8 sanyo 2500mAh cells to power it (it literally transmits for days with these cells ) and use my quick charger to charge them, using the RX charge cable, because I don't have the right cable to connect it to the radio .
Old 09-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nearly everyone I race with has an M8 radio. I tried many times to handle it, but it was never comfortable. The 3PK just seems more comfortable.

You're right, the Nicd battery that comes with it sucks (note to Futaba, ever hear of nickel metal hydride?). The easiest way to charge them is to use the wall charger and plug it into the radio. The charge current is so small you can leave it in overnight. You can get a battery tray for that radio and pick up some NiMh batteries. You can still use the wall charger for them or pick up a regular charger and charge them outside.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Qlone
I also charge my TX battery ouside the radio, but for a different reason. When I got my 3PK it was without a battery, but it was supplied with a battery tray. I bought 8 sanyo 2500mAh cells to power it (it literally transmits for days with these cells ) and use my quick charger to charge them, using the RX charge cable, because I don't have the right cable to connect it to the radio .
I also have the battery tray on my 3PK with exactly the same batteries (8xsanyo 2500 mA). I charge them on the radio with my Simprop charger. Never had a problem so far.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

I wouldn't bother getting the tray. It would be much better to buy or make up a 9 cell battery pack so your voltage is higher.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
jag
Tech Master

I just plug my charger into the front of the radio and let it go. No problems so far. The battery doesn't last very long but it's better than putting AA's in there.

Try the drop-down wheel. That's the way I use mine.