R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneym View Post
How can 5 ports be enforced at tracks? My track will be hosting its yearly Roar Regional race. I know 100% for sure cheating will be going on. This is nothing more than 17.5 stocking racing. Really hoping this rule gets changed.
Agree with your concern regarding teching for 5 ports , but in reality I'm not sure it's that important counting the number of intake ports , quantity of intake ports doesn't have a huge influence on power , power comes from volume of charge - intake/exhaust port width & timing. As motors progressed and timing became more aggressive dividers were put into the ever larger ports to control piston rock so then the motor mfg's had an advertising gimmick to hook us with. We had a situation during the early days of the Rex motors where the 3 ports were faster than the 5 ports.
Really wish ROAR would have just stopped with the carb restrictor to cut the GT car horsepower/speed - something easy and simple to tech.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Agree with your concern regarding teching for 5 ports , but in reality I'm not sure it's that important counting the number of intake ports , quantity of intake ports doesn't have a huge influence on power , power comes from volume of charge - intake/exhaust port width & timing. As motors progressed and timing became more aggressive dividers were put into the ever larger ports to control piston rock so then the motor mfg's had an advertising gimmick to hook us with. We had a situation during the early days of the Rex motors where the 3 ports were faster than the 5 ports.
Really wish ROAR would have just stopped with the carb restrictor to cut the GT car horsepower/speed - something easy and simple to tech.

SO true, Look at the current OS speed offroad engine! 3ports but is every bit as fast if not faster than most 7pts in a buggy.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 319 (100%+)

Yes I know. Point is how can it get tech. Reality is at every roar event I bet 90% will be modded. So was the 5 port rule to keep cost down?
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
Tech Regular

TRUSTY FAITHFUL KYOSHO MP777WC/GT WITH NOVA MAXY CINCO BT CERAMIC !
Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Agree 100% with your comments.

With all due respect to the Executive Committee, you did not properly consult with the people who developed the class, the track owners and clubs that have hosted very successful GT races in the past. So sad when a handful of people with very little fuel racing experience with this class decide to force their will on the masses.
Doug M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 319 (100%+)

My problem why was a motor limit put in when there is none in 1/8 or 200mm touring. When open engine was clearly the norm everywhere. When there was engine limit probably 3 or 4 GT's in a heat.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneym View Post
My problem why was a motor limit put in when there is none in 1/8 or 200mm touring. When open engine was clearly the norm everywhere. When there was engine limit probably 3 or 4 GT's in a heat.
Actually, ROAR does have a motor limit on .12 motors for touring cars. They can't have more than three fuel ports and one exhaust port. There are 5-port .12s and even a 7-port .12 (Picco) that are obtainable so ROAR eventually put a limit in for that class. You can modify a .12 but can't have more than the four port configuration.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote