Search

Serpent 835; Setup for very low traction

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Default Serpent 835; Setup for very low traction

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody has a good start setup for extremely low traction surface. Normally I go to a place with lots of traction and the car was a dream to drive. But on some days I get to go to a place where traction is very low. I usually prefer to come to my setup on my own, but this car being new to me I thought I would ask around to hear what more experienced people have to say.

My main problem was on-throttle over steer I tried to soften up the rear, take the rear swaybar off, but it wasn't getting that much better. The droop is stock.

Thanks for your advise

Marek
Old 08-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxs
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody has a good start setup for extremely low traction surface. Normally I go to a place with lots of traction and the car was a dream to drive. But on some days I get to go to a place where traction is very low. I usually prefer to come to my setup on my own, but this car being new to me I thought I would ask around to hear what more experienced people have to say.

My main problem was on-throttle over steer I tried to soften up the rear, take the rear swaybar off, but it wasn't getting that much better. The droop is stock.

Thanks for your advise

Marek
check out www.mytsn.com and look under set ups
Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

2wd or 4wd?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Julius
2wd or 4wd?
oops forgot that one
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

I forgot to mention that too ....

4WD

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Master

The problem in very low traction is tires. As long as the tires don't hook up a little, setup changes are almost useless. If you can find them, Tamiya makes a rubber cap you can glue over normal tires. They may work in very dusty conditions.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Hi Julius,

thanks for your reply, but I am little lost regarding "a rubber cap over tires"? I've never heard of it.

I don't think the tires wouldn't hookup at all, especially if some other cars (mostly 1/10 TC) were doing sort of fine.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Ask them what kind of tires they are running, and what shore?

What shore are you now running? If those other cars are using foams, i think you could try softer tires..
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran some 25 shores Ellegi before...........at NOVEMBER time (50s temp), we ran IMPACT with those foams....and they are just fine.
Check with Winnercircle (lee) or Ashford (Robert) and see they still have 25s around..........they might not have mounted tires, but you can still mount your own tires with donuts.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Hmm, it's getting kind of more complicated than I thought.

Anyways, I run 35 shore all around. So you are suggesting to run 25 all around. The 35s feel pretty soft I can't imagine what 25 shore would feel like. You are probably not getting a lot of runs on those are you?

I just might avoid running at that track if it's not possible set this car up reasonably there without using extremely soft tires.

The other guys with 1/10 TCs are running 35 or 37s, but I don't know how much that helps since these are different cars.

Thanks anyway
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxs
Hmm, it's getting kind of more complicated than I thought.

Anyways, I run 35 shore all around. So you are suggesting to run 25 all around. The 35s feel pretty soft I can't imagine what 25 shore would feel like. You are probably not getting a lot of runs on those are you?

I just might avoid running at that track if it's not possible set this car up reasonably there without using extremely soft tires.

The other guys with 1/10 TCs are running 35 or 37s, but I don't know how much that helps since these are different cars.

Thanks anyway
No, of course not...they are 25 shores afterall...and running on some 50 degree track, there is a reason why they are 25 cause they are so soft it can run on ice (just kidding)
Yes, if you have to stick with 35s...you really have to work on the shocks, springs, oil and dampers....may be no roll bar front and rear...just try everything.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Thanks RS.