R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
Thanks. Do you know if he uses VHT only?
He cuts it with gasoline.
Leo V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #77
Tech Master

Funny how it seems like only the drivers are involved in figuring out ways to make the track better, and people from the track aren't. Everytime you give them suggestions, they always have something to say against it, or some explanation why any other idea would not work.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #78
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCal
He cuts it with gasoline.
Then the traction at CP is even and consistent during the day, I saw comments here saying that cutting VHT with Gasoline is a bad idea, so, what is the true? It doesn't make sence to me.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #79
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Funny how it seems like only the drivers are involved in figuring out ways to make the track better, and people from the track aren't. Everytime you give them suggestions, they always have something to say against it, or some explanation why any other idea would not work.
That's because they don't have traction problems going at 18 sec per lap
Old 09-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #80
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
Then the traction at CP is even and consistent during the day, I saw comments here saying that cutting VHT with Gasoline is a bad idea, so, what is the true? It doesn't make sence to me.
The traction comes up when a lot of people are running on the track not necessarily because of the rubber we lay on it. The oil and methanol that our pipes blow out on the track is needed to a certain degree. The traction comes up as the temp of the track comes down because the combination of rubber, methanol with oil becomes tacky as the temp goes down. (reason why our shocks and diff feel lighter after running, and heavier when it's not being used.) But because of the oil in the gasoline, the traction DOES react more pronounced when the track temp jumps from 60-70 deg. in the morning to 90-100 in the middle of the day.
CP traction doesn't change much because the weather and temp doesn't.

But i think there's a better front and rear balance in traction with Gasoline than methanol as proven at CP.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Maybe it's not the gasoline or the methanol that causes the problems. Maybe it's just the dust and the way the VHT is caked on to the track.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Verano
Maybe it's not the gasoline or the methanol that causes the problems. Maybe it's just the dust and the way the VHT is caked on to the track.
Yup!!!
We never had to spray it until the Off-road started running.
There was a time when heavy construction was being done on State Street, with heavy trucks passing by constantly. But the traction always came up after the trucks left at around 5pm. (with no VHT). We never had glazing problems no matter how dusty it was, and it was really dusty then. I think it's the gritty dust from the offroad track, it's not powder dust like the one from the street. If you scale it all UP to size, the dust from the offroad is probably like sand to our real cars.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 PM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Verano
James waits for a few cars to run on the track to get rid of some of the dust. Then he sprays the track very lightly. I don't think he even sprays the track everyday.

james said anoter reason why he waited is that he want the dew completely gone before he spray anything on the track.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #84
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

I wouldn't put all the blame on Dana but I would say he is part of why the surface sucks being that Allan is employed by him, Dana is not there sometimes when this massive amount of VHT is applied to which ever corner Allan is having traction problems with. Don't get me wrong Allan is a nice guy but this track seem's to be made for him and his driving style.
This track is like a slot car track who ever has the strongest magnets stays on the track this is not racing to me.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #85
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE C
I wouldn't put all the blame on Dana but I would say he is part of why the surface sucks being that Allan is employed by him, Dana is not there sometimes when this massive amount of VHT is applied to which ever corner Allan is having traction problems with. Don't get me wrong Allan is a nice guy but this track seem's to be made for him and his driving style.
This track is like a slot car track who ever has the strongest magnets stays on the track this is not racing to me.

I like 45 shore magnets. Robbie you guys got the music ready for the weekend. You know I love that old..old school [email protected]#
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #86
wad
Tech Elite

We all should push Dana to don't let Alan alone spraying the track. If one of us complain is not a big deal, but if 20 of us ask for the same thing to him, this problem should be taken care. Next time I go to the track I will tell Dana about Alan=spraying is a really bad idea, I hope everybody tell the same to Dana next time. Let's just try, there is nothing to lose. It is free
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #87
Tech Master

$65 for a level 3 race??? What is it 10-15 dollars more than the Nationals.
We didn't pay this much for the Nats held at Rev? It's $50 more than the club race with a T-shirt. There should just be a flat fee for racing, food and T-shirts optional.
I for one, DO NOT WANT THE SHIRT!!! It looks like every other shirt with different dates.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re

Interesting!
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #89
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
$65 for a level 3 race??? What is it 10-15 dollars more than the Nationals.
We didn't pay this much for the Nats held at Rev? It's $50 more than the club race with a T-shirt. There should just be a flat fee for racing, food and T-shirts optional.
I for one, DO NOT WANT THE SHIRT!!! It looks like every other shirt with different dates.
Do you know how expensive are the hotdogs? and how about the t-shirts, they are really expensive.
But you know what? the flyer says FREE food and FREE t-shirt, then why increase the entry fee when everything is FREE?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #90
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Having raced in different tracks in different countries, I have a few observation:

1. $15 for racing with hot dogs included is incredibly inexpensive. It costs more in Taiwan where everything is cheaper without the hot dogs.

2. While traction could be hard to figure out, it is great on the tire wear. I used the same set of tires for 2 weekend races in a row and only wore 2-3 mm. The three tracks I've been to in Taiwan are not VHT prepared (they've never heard of the thing) and you need to run 35 or 37. You typically use a set of tires to practice before race, 1-2 sets for qualifiers, and another set for the main. Tire wears between 0.7-1.5mm every 5 minutes. You have to start with 62mm rear for a 40 minute main or you'll have to change tire half way during the race. It gets very expensive.

3. Race programs are organized. In Taiwan we don't even get turn marshalls.

I suppose there's always two way to look at things. I am not saying there are no room for improvement, but at the same time it's not so bad either.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote