R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation After run oils debate.

Hi,
Over at the other forum I converted from, there was a big debate going on about which after run oils to use. I myself use WD-40 but I've heard that it can damage seals. Is that true? If so, what oil do you think that I should use? I use WD-40 for practically everything: lubricating the engine/gears/tranny/other stuff, cleaning the car, keeping off rust etc.

What's your opinion on the oil front?

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: By the way, I'm not Tony Blair
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

WD-40 is not a lubricant by nature. It stands for "Water Displacer" and it is the 40th formula until they got it right.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

It is ok to use in your motor and is a great rust inhibitor but I would not use it alone. While it is good for displacing [read:removing] moisture from your engine, it does not leave any protective coating. This is why most commercial after run oils use a base of Marvel Mystery oil or ATF (automatic transmision fluid). If you use one or both of these others in combination you should be in great shape. You can get all of this at your local auto parts store for cheap.

As a side note, I have a friend who used to used WD exclusively and he would actually RUN his motor on it until all the fuel was gone. I wouldn't do it but his motors were fast and lasted ok.[shrug]
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for that, I've been planning to get some ATF for some time,, so do you think I should use it in conjunction with WD-40? Also, what do you think to the theory that because WD-40 is ethanol based, it can corrode the brass lining of the piston and damage rubber seals over time?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards
Thanks for that, I've been planning to get some ATF for some time,, so do you think I should use it in conjunction with WD-40? Also, what do you think to the theory that because WD-40 is ethanol based, it can corrode the brass lining of the piston and damage rubber seals over time?
I don't know where people come up with this stuff but that is false. I have been using some or all of these products together and have not had a single problem. The only problems I have had with my motors is death from old age.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Ok, thanks!

- Ed
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
Tech Regular

how long do your engines usually last. and i have a bottle of after run oil in my garrage that i dug up the other day. it is probably 2 years old. will this still work or does it go bad?
cars.cars.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought it'd go bad. Unless the cap ws off and moisture has accumalated/evaporated.

- Ed
Old 09-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Tech Adept

i havent been using ATF myself...Usaully WD-40 or something. I found some automatic transmission fluid in my garage...Does it matter what type of it u use?
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #9

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Test it yourself. One motor use after-run , another use wd and another try using nothing (quite a few people rely on their fuel). Thats what im doing on my current motor, using nothing just to see how it goes.

I use the motor monthly so thats plenty of time for problems and it looks great. This also ensures your not opening the glow-plug all the time and possibly dropping in granules of sand and the way to avoid that is to basically clean the car or motor. Which creates a lot of time to just get a few drops of oil into the motor.

You do need to be careful though on which fuels you do this with. Some dont have high quality oils or not enough which might not protect the engine alone.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Motor Fog in a can-
Take the little red tube that comes with the can, Zip tie a 8" piece of fuel tube onto the end so it wont slip off. When done for the day, run the car out of fuel. Pull the fuel line off the carb banjo fitting. Have the car on the starter box & turn the engine over while spraying the fog and holding the carb wide open. My S7 is 3yrs old with one pinch & a NOCER head. I have friends that never use any after run & theirs seem to last just as well. I just like the added insurance. Plus it cant hurt, but its a proven fact alcohol atracts moisture & is corrosive to metals. So if you dont use any oil at least run the car out of fuel.
I like the motor fog cause you dont have to open the engine up.
nitro farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:21 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I've used after run oil in my motors before, but to be honest with you, It's been years now since i've added something. And all my motors still run. I've never really let my motors run completely out of fuel and would let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks in that state.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:05 AM   #12
Tech Adept

I use heaps of after run oil and cant rely on it enough. You guys are all right to some extent. The WD40 is great but as that guy was saying earlier it is for water displacement (there shouldnt be water in your fuel). ATF is also pretty good but you will find that after time your engine will get a fine red film from the fluid or what colour it is.

I have tried many After run fluids but the best one so far that i have found is the new HPI Engine Maintenance Oil. It seems really runny and clear so the whole motor gets a taste of it. The front bearing even gets a fair heap of it down there.

I simply run the engine dry, clean the glow plug area, put 5-6 drops down the bore, 4 drops down the carb and put the plug back in and turen it over for about 3 secs. Then it starts nearly every time and not like WD40 or ATF your plug can fail easily but this is always 100% ready to go the next time you start it
KYOSHORACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Tech Adept

do i guess any ATF will do huh. As long as ur engine doesnt get rusty and its lubed for the nex start up. It should be fine right. After all that all ARO does...really. So most substitutions in my guess will be ok. Unless they have harmfull chemicals.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #14
Tech Adept

do i guess any ATF will do huh. As long as ur engine doesnt get rusty and its lubed for the nex start up. It should be fine right. After all that all ARO does...really. So most substitutions in my guess will be ok. Unless they have harmfull chemicals.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Spray something aluminum with wd40 then seal it in a ziplock bag. Then look at it in a day or two. I wouldn't want the possibility of that gummy mess in my engine. ATF, or marvel mystery oil is what I use. But I only use it if it's getting stored for a few weeks or more. Other than that I just burn all the fuel out of it and let it sit.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote