R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Wheels still Spin

Well when I start my car up my car wheels still spin and if I break it will die the pull start feels kinda wierd when I pull it with the igniter in.

Could it be my air filter or something?

I've run it alot without cleaning it but I don't know how too clean it ....
RC-HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to pedal2thametal

your wheels are spinning because the idle is set to high. the engine revs high and the clutch shoes engages. turn the idle screw 1/8 a turn in.

and the airfilter needs to be cleaned after 8 tanks of nitro.
clean it with nitro. just put some nitro in a cup or something and put the filters in. sqeese it. let it dry and put some drops of filter oil on them

when buying an rc car expecially nitro rc car, make sure you know how everything works and do some research.
you should of known this. very importent .
pedal2thametal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Yeah but I have a dome air filter and can't get it off ....
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
Tech Adept

RC-HPI,

first, you have to remove your air filter first and check if the engine still stops upon brake application. If the engine dosent stop. then you have a problem in your air filter.

2nd, if the engine stop, check your linkage setting. There should be a minimum of 0.5mm~1mm opening on carburator during idle and even applying your brake. If there is no opening in your carburetor, then you got the problem adjust either your EPA ( end point adjustment on your radio), or adjust your linkages.

As basic rule, a minimum opening should be observed during idle & braking application.

cheers. . .
Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Well it was a clutch spring but I cleaned my air filter and cleaned my whole chassis.

And thx guys ^^
Old 08-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Sounds to me like theres a problem with the clutch.....thats why the wheels are spinning when it starts up (the clutch is already engaged)....and thats why it dies when you hit the brake (because the brake just binds/seizes the motor up because its not releasing the clutch to allow it to idle freely).
AndyT © is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #7
Tech Adept

maybe the clutch shoe is stuck on the the clutch bell. try spinning the clutch bell when the engine is not running. it should spin freely. If not, then you have a stuck clutch shoe. Remove the clutch bell and clean it together with the clutch shoe or better replace the clutch shoe. It usually happens when yoe have a burnt clutch shoe. try to have a clurtch shoe with vespel material. it has a lower coefficient of friction than std and therefore allows the clutch to engage at a latter point.