R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Pull start is stuck

I have an hpi rs4 3, and today I headed out to use it for the first time in a little less than a year. I tried starting the car up, and the cord was real hard to pull, so I figured the engine was flooded. I took off the glow plug, turned the car upside down and yanked the cord a couple of times, but as soon as I put the glow plug back in, I couldn't pull it again. What's the problem?
rcburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Ive had this problem. It could be the actualy cord thing thats jammed. you have to take the cover off, and BE CAREFUL it may spring out, look at the way the cord works, there is a coil with the cord with it , make sure it all looks ok.
T-Maxx Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Maxx Matt
Ive had this problem. It could be the actualy cord thing thats jammed. you have to take the cover off, and BE CAREFUL it may spring out, look at the way the cord works, there is a coil with the cord with it , make sure it all looks ok.
Really... even though when the glow plug is off it is fine?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

It seems like the pull start has enough power to wind it self back up when the glow plug is off, but when it's on it can't turn the engine due to the compression. Is tthe spring just worn out?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

"rcburner", I had the same problem on my V1S. After cleaning the engine etc, the pull start would turn over the engine, but when I added fuel, it was the one way bearing that was the problem, would not grip the crankshaft in the presence of fuel and full compression. Talking to guys at my local club, you could firstly try taking the bearing out and cleaning in petrol. This should remove any old castor oil remaining over the year of non use, then use a one way breaing oil, one drop inside is all it needs I was told. In the end, after much stuffing about, I now use a starter box as recommended the minute I started talked to anyone about pull-start problems. Good luck.
texasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah sounds like the bearing is slipping. I shot some simple green into my old pull-start and it started grabbing perfect a few seconds after that and a couple of good tugs.

Once it starts running it should also help that problem.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys. I took it to the LHS about two weeks and they took the oull start of and blasted it with nitro cleaner. That solved the problem. I would've of done it myself, but I couldn't take my engine off because of a stripped screw. They solved that problem too