R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Asphalt track crack repair help?

We run on an asphalt parking lot that we have permission to use. Over this last winter a few of the crack have opened up to where they will need to be patched soon. Before I approach the lot owner I wanted to see what people are using.

I would like to know what type of patch or filler you have tried....and what has worked best for you and why?...and even possibly more important what has NOT worked and why?

The more info on the pros and cons of the different types of fillers I know, the more comfortable I will be on approaching the lot owner. And hopefully we can get the best surface to race on while showing the owner we are taking care of the property, allowing us to continue to use the venue.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used some silicone crack filler from Lowe's and it has held up great for years. It's pretty cheap too.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Flame thrower to melt the asphalt then rake it with a flat rake
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been laying asphault since 1994, if they are small cracks you can use a sand mortor like a chimney mortor. Sand mortor will last weeks, if you want day of racing repair you can get hydro-plug a house foundation repair cement. Hydro-plug will set up in 15 to 30 seconds mix very small batches and do not get it on your skin. The only way to fix a crack is cut i out and put new hot mix in the patch. If there is dirt in the crack use a screwdriver to remove it then a leaf blower to clear out the loose debris. If you really want to get on the good side of the lot owner you can get a gallon of sealer and reseal the repair.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Tech Master

Track closed here, after 18years. Reblacktop 8years ago. Maintain by using Henry's on cracks. Cold wasn't the problem, More heat during the summer. At least color is black. Landlord should complain. Cheaper than reblacktop. or slurry.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiski racer View Post
I have been laying asphault since 1994, if they are small cracks you can use a sand mortor like a chimney mortor. Sand mortor will last weeks, if you want day of racing repair you can get hydro-plug a house foundation repair cement. Hydro-plug will set up in 15 to 30 seconds mix very small batches and do not get it on your skin. The only way to fix a crack is cut i out and put new hot mix in the patch. If there is dirt in the crack use a screwdriver to remove it then a leaf blower to clear out the loose debris. If you really want to get on the good side of the lot owner you can get a gallon of sealer and reseal the repair.
I am looking for a good more permanent crack repair.....I would like to avoid them having an asphalt company come out and hot seal it since they usually don't smooth it out making the surface bumpy. If they would squeege it off smooth like I have seen online it may work...but I rarely see that here, typically the sealer usually gets applied heavily and leaves a thick layer of overflow on both side of the cracks.

I would like to avoid short term or low quality type of quick fix. I want to keep the owners happy and make the best long term repair, since we would like to keep using this lot for as long as possible.

One large crack is about 3/4" to 1" wide....from what I have read using a trowel type cold patch may be the preffered option on anything over 1/2" wide. All of the liquid type sealers I found say for cracks under 1/2"
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

We just used some hot crack sealer at Timezone. Seemed to work well but has remained soft, specially during the warmer days. Take your time applying it and dont get too messy. If you are going to seal the area, dont use regular sealer. We used a sealer called TRMFS, I can't remember all the words that go with the letters, but it is a sealer that is modified with a rubber compound into it. A couple of years back we tried leveling out some spots with a grout mortar mix, which was good but water eventually wicked up underneath it and froze and broke it out. This year we are trying a product called ProPoxy, it is a two part epoxy mix then you add in the mortar. We laid some down earlier this week and it is some killer stuff. It fuses itself to almost any surface and it has some grit to it. Negative is it is pretty expensive $300 for a unit.

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah300rum View Post
I am looking for a good more permanent crack repair.....I would like to avoid them having an asphalt company come out and hot seal it since they usually don't smooth it out making the surface bumpy. If they would squeege it off smooth like I have seen online it may work...but I rarely see that here, typically the sealer usually gets applied heavily and leaves a thick layer of overflow on both side of the cracks.

I would like to avoid short term or low quality type of quick fix. I want to keep the owners happy and make the best long term repair, since we would like to keep using this lot for as long as possible.

One large crack is about 3/4" to 1" wide....from what I have read using a trowel type cold patch may be the preffered option on anything over 1/2" wide. All of the liquid type sealers I found say for cracks under 1/2"
Everything will be a quick fix except getting a saw and cutting it out. Cold mix will come up. Hot mix and compaction.