Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
Sorry Carl!

Thanks Mikey,but Carl is a great guy so we will share your services
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys are complaining about the prices of nitro cars. Has anyone looked at the price of electric touring cars lately?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #123
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
We were thinking about making a class were you could only use offroad style motors. It would cut the cost of a motor in half and would slow the car down a bit thus saving the sportsman driver in parts and tires.
That sounds like a good start. How 'bout you can run whatever motor you want but 5mm restrictors and a short off road pipe? Good luck getting that going "too fast"
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Thanks Mikey,but Carl is a great guy so we will share your services
Mike.....you getting passed around like a rag doll?????
Old 08-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #125
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
That sounds like a good start. How 'bout you can run whatever motor you want but 5mm restrictors and a short off road pipe? Good luck getting that going "too fast"
That sounds good but it would not cut the price tag of the engine.
Mike_Swauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #126
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I agree 100%!
Robbie, Kris, and I were throwing some ideas around here and we were thinking about getting Crystal Park and Revelation involved in trying to get a "spec" class for 1/8th scale for the sportsman racers. We were thinking about making a class were you could only use offroad style motors. It would cut the cost of a motor in half and would slow the car down a bit thus saving the sportsman driver in parts and tires.

Just a thought...
Hey Mike,

I think this could really lead into something really good for the sport finally. We try to do something in order to low the cost of the motors with the Mega line and we actually where able to get a good engines for a lower price. Of course we are not trying to compare with top of the line JP, Max, etc; our engine is stock and we don't offer a modified version. The whole idea is make this more affordable for the guy that is willing to have fun without spend too much money, for the guy that is starting in this and maybe he want to have a taste before really get into this 100%, and spend big amount of money But after some month i can tell you that still people is looking for the best of the best, even if the price is higher. No matter the experience they have, they want to try to be competitive having the best money can buy. Of course, if there is only 1 class, i can understand this, but maybe having sportsman or spec class, this could be achieved.

Please let us know the results of your ideas so maybe we can reply your experiences also in other regions.
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #127
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke
Funny how everyone's cost comparisons pit the cheapest, least competitive 1/8 equipment against the absolute top-of-the-line 1/10 sedan equipment. 1/8 is vastly more expensive to get into and continue to run than 1/10 sedan. That they are starting to overlap on the low end of 1/8 and the high end of 1/10 sedan is more of an indictment against 1/10 than an endorsement of 1/8. They have both gotten way out of hand; it's just a matter of degree.

1/10 sedan started out as an entry level gas class. Very restricted engines, rubber tires, and other rules meant to keep costs down have one by one been chipped away at until the original intent has been diluted.

So the answer now is a 1/8 "spec" class??!! My how things have gone full circle. 1/10 sedan was an answer to rising 1/8 costs. Now that the gamesmen with the deep pockets have gotten their way in 1/10, the poor folks looking for relief (again) are looking for ways to make 1/8 "affordable". Why not just return 1/10 sedan to its original intent?
Sorry Wrong Sedan's were never meant for entry level racing and the class was not started for entry level racing. Anyone with money can start there racing in what ever class that turns them on, some like trucks, some like Lola's some like sedan's, the competition in some classes is higher than others that's why people some times choose to race what they race. Depending upon where you live and what type of tracks are available is what you will run.
All classes were started the same they have developed into what they are now.
Over the years we have refined them now we need to pull our thoughts together and come up with some new ideas and give our sport lasting power.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #128
Tech Master

Default Great conversation

Good positive dialog. Now, how do we take it to the next step? It looks like we agree on a "fixed limit" class. Execution is next... ideas?
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #129
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Good positive dialog. Now, how do we take it to the next step? It looks like we agree on a "fixed limit" class. Execution is next... ideas?
As a driver, I can ask the owner of the track where I race to add the class, but we need people to sign in on it.
Also we need a ROAR representative to ask ROAR about this and see what they says.
We need to create the rules first, then with 2 or more drivers running on it, people will see it and I'm sure that the class will get bigger.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spec classes work, but they fade out, then get expensive - touring is a good example. Never a spec class, but it started out cheap and was chep for some time.

Face it, if your area does doe have a minimum straight of 150+ no one will be racing 1/8 scale.

Robbie C,
Touring was an entry to nitro but like you stated, they developed to this level.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #131
Tech Master

We plan on introducing this program at the next major race at Crystal park (Toys for Tots) this should give us time as racers to come up with guidelines, we should move swiftly on this and try to implement a class as soon as possible, by limtting the ports you can use any manufactures motor of your choice, off road motors are priced low and top end performace is limitted.
There are plenty of choices
PICCO
RB
NOVAROSSI
SERIO
REX
JP
ECT..................... all of these companies offer off road three or five port engines with moderate pricing.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #132
Tech Master

Default Ideas a flowin

Keep the focus on attracting new racers - yes, the costs can escalate. We need to keep an eye on the goal: how do we keep it fresh and attract new racers?

Local Hobby shop involvement, manufacturer involvement and the "host" clubs...
Old 08-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #133
Tech Master

The RAMS are looking for fresh ideas as well...grassroots developement. Robbie, let's discuss the details. Nor and SoCal.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #134
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
As a driver, I can ask the owner of the track where I race to add the class, but we need people to sign in on it.
Also we need a ROAR representative to ask ROAR about this and see what they says.
We need to create the rules first, then with 2 or more drivers running on it, people will see it and I'm sure that the class will get bigger.
I will bring this item up with the rest of the ROAR gas committee members and see if we can come up with some guidelines.
Mike_Swauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #135
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
The RAMS are looking for fresh ideas as well...grassroots developement. Robbie, let's discuss the details. Nor and SoCal.
I think we should start with this 8TH scale challange first and work together, what I mean by that is we should start this class together at the same time.
What ever you guys do we should do and vise versa.