Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
1/8th On Road Losing Popularity? >

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to know where you guys are purchasing sport .21 engines. I live in California and it seems that most places sell engines in the $ 300 range. What do you guys consider to be sport engines? Can you give a few web addies where a person can find these engines? Lastly, I will not order from over seas, it has to be state side. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
1/8 is not cheap, but the costs are greatly exaggerated. I have raced all the MWS races in 1/8 this year. Alot of track time (potentially ) at these races---3 hrs practice on Sat am, followed by 3 quals, another hr or so practice on Sun am followed by 1/2 hr mains for everyone. If the track is fairly abrasive, I will start the main with a fresh or nearly fresh set of tires. Some tracks are far less abrasive. Bottom line is, tire wear is about the same if not less than 1/10. I have run both on the same track. 1/8 tires cost a bit more, but it is worth it!
The bodies on TC's are gay! Looks like something you should be car-pooling to work in. 1/8 bodies are racing bodies . Engine runs way cooler, much easier to re-fill tank, Clutches DO NOT wear-out faster than 1/10.
I run a XR8 ($399 map) powered by a Cippola (or is it Cipolla? I forget) which sells for $215, and the combo is very competitive. My rig costs less than many of the 1/10 scales.
I am seeing an increase in 1/8! I think that 1/8 racers tend to post less than 1/10.
When ppl has zero or close to non problem when running their 1/8th car, why post question on the RC Forum...? I ran my used 950R (first 1/8th) ever 3-4 weeks ago..........the car itself has ZERO problem (even I have no setup whatsoever) except the engine is still running a little rich.....
I post questions about 200mm and 190mm cause every week I have some new and old problem on them..........

Tires...I still remember back like 2 years or so....a set of front Ellegi foams are $25 and a set of rear foams are $35 plus.....now a day, brand like jaco and twister....a set of 1/8th foams are $35 shipped....the price does DROPPED big time....
For MWS (2days event...) I will run a brand new set of foams for the SAT 3 qualifers plus SUN 4th qualifier......then another new set of foams for 30 minutes main............$70 for a 2 days event of tires.....then I have 2 set of used foams for PRACTICE in the future..........Touring cars foams may be $10 cheaper for a 2 days event....
Old 08-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Solara, Tinley is not even close to that size! It is about 150 X 75! And I am being generous at that.
I set-up a track at our local K-mart last year. It was 200 X 100(I actually measured it) & was more than adequate for 1/8. You could have put 2 tracks the size of Tinley in it. The track we are going to in Chicago this weekend will be in the 220' X 100' range.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
Solara, Tinley is not even close to that size! It is about 150 X 75! And I am being generous at that.
I set-up a track at our local K-mart last year. It was 200 X 100(I actually measured it) & was more than adequate for 1/8. You could have put 2 tracks the size of Tinley in it. The track we are going to in Chicago this weekend will be in the 220' X 100' range.
Thanks for the clarification..........I am way off about the size of the track.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

That's right Howard. The 1/8 crowd tends to be more experienced, & have less need to post questions! Or maybe they are too busy working to pay for those Lexus & Mercedes!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

See you this weekend Howard! Maybe I will bring you a new tape measure! You know, one that has graduations in american feet (I know that oriental feet are much smaller) .
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc_king1
I would like to know where you guys are purchasing sport .21 engines. I live in California and it seems that most places sell engines in the $ 300 range. What do you guys consider to be sport engines? Can you give a few web addies where a person can find these engines? Lastly, I will not order from over seas, it has to be state side. Thanks
Here:

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/pricing003.htm

a RB for 229 and a Mega for 289.

http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/

another couple here in the 200 range

Last edited by jeffreylin; 08-18-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

How does the .21 RB 7-Port Sport Circuit engine rate? What would be a good pipe for the engine? The novamega engine seemed to be a good price, but the pipe is almost a hundred dollars. What gives? Are most 1/8th on-road pipes this expensive? Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.skylinercracing.com/store/P_17.htm

Skyline pipe $63. I don't know much about the 21 pipe but their VR-12 is possibily the best out there for any money.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

8th scale has always been at the extreme of rc racing.. AND I may point out it is NOT for everyone.

Like all sports it comes and goes.. the US market is more based on offroad than onroad across the country.

issues for 8th scale have always been and always will be.. facilities to run these cars.. It is generally needed to have a large track with a population base that can actually afford to run these cars.

Take Los Angeles for example.. with millions of poeple living there why is it there are probably under 100 racers in that area? I could probably name most of them. Or in the SF bay area again millions of poeple only 50-70 racers again its having a place to race (expensive land) and being able to afford to run these cars. (inital expense barrier not ongoing.)

When it comes to (serious=$$) recreation Americans have more choice on things to spend their discretionary income on than any other population other than the Kuwaiti's.. like boats, personal watercraft, real cars and more.These are serious toys the rest of the world, especially in europe, they cannot afford these types of items and therefore their "serious" toys are high end rc cars.. they have purpose built facilites..like we have baseball diamonds/tennis courts the have tracks.

Normally the guys over there,if they were here... would not spend their dough on rc they'de have bigger toys so instead in europe they spend it on smaller toys but just as serious!

get it!

ask any american dude if thye'de rather spend $2000 on rc cars or a new set of wheels for their street ride they'de buy the wheels. (can't get chicks with an RC car) and the stories go on..
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Well said very true............................
Old 08-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BadBoyRC
...again its having a place to race (expensive land)...

...they have purpose built facilites..like we have baseball diamonds/tennis courts the have tracks...
Sounds like we need to level and pave some baseball diamonds and tennis courts
Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Fraz.. I never drove a bulldozer.. but if its anything like the Tonka one I had when I was a kid then count me in!

Rich Brown ..you know how to use dynomite!? I got a lighter!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Lets start with the Dodger Stadium they don't need it...............lol
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BadBoyRC
Fraz.. I never drove a bulldozer.. but if its anything like the Tonka one I had when I was a kid then count me in!
TONKA WAS AROUND WHEN YOU WERE A KID...BULLDOZERS TOO? OH SNAP!

Shoot....LOL

Can't get chicks with an R/C car my ass....Yeh wanna bet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.