R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #496
Tech Elite

That's it exactly, Jeffrey!
I agree that claiming rule would probably not be accepted. It does address the cost issue...but, if I had a $200 engine that was working quite well, I would be reluctant to let go of it.
A list of inexpensive engines NOT based on port count...YES.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #497
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD
I don't care what anyone thinks about the "claiming rule"....IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! There are other alternatives besides that! The average JOE RACER out there like me is simply not gonna go for that. If someone has to cheat to win.....then so be it. It's not fair to all those that race within the rules to have to be running against or beaten by someone that cheats. It happens in all forms of racing I know. People always try to stretch/bend/break the rules to their advantage. At the club level.....we all are there for fun and enjoyment....at least I am. If you have to cheat....I feel sorry for you as a person. I say if you are caught cheating.....simple.....you are banned from racing that class or at that track again. If I owned the track.....that's what I would do...... you would be banned!! Maybe 5 port engines is not the answer.....I like the dollar restriction limit better. Then there is list price versus street price. Where do we start? At least racers are talking about this.....in California we are trying to do something about it. If your track has decent turmnouts.....then don't worry about this if you are against it. Here in So. California 1/8 has dwindled down to 1 heat and maybe 2 on a good day. So for club races.....I think giving it a try is worth it. At the bigger races as well as Nats.....then revert back to established rules. SOMETHING has to give. My 2 cents.
Very well said.
I also found a place where you can purchase an engine for less than $300.00
Speed Shop RC
(310) 465-0401
Engine model S5 RB Concept
5 port
standard button
price: $219.99 out the door.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yea- I wouldn't put my engine up for a $200- $300, even if I only paid $100 for it. I have a total of two hours into inspecting it, checking head clearances, breaking it in and tuning it to race condition, and you want me to take $200 for it? After my main I have to marshall and then drive up to umpteen hours home. The last thing I want to deal with is someone wanting my engine removed from my car, disassembling my clutch, and getting another engine that I have to break in. I just want to get on the road home. I don't know the answer, but I don't think a claimer is it.

I said this before.... There is already a "Stock/Sportsman" class..... it's called the 'C', 'D', 'E' and so on mains......

What's wrong with that?
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #499
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
yea- I wouldn't put my engine up for a $200- $300, even if I only paid $100 for it. I have a total of two hours into inspecting it, checking head clearances, breaking it in and tuning it to race condition, and you want me to take $200 for it? After my main I have to marshall and then drive up to umpteen hours home. The last thing I want to deal with is someone wanting my engine removed from my car, disassembling my clutch, and getting another engine that I have to break in. I just want to get on the road home. I don't know the answer, but I don't think a claimer is it.

I said this before.... There is already a "Stock/Sportsman" class..... it's called the 'C', 'D', 'E' and so on mains......

What's wrong with that?
It's about lowering the perceived cost of 1/8 to encourage more people to participate.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #500
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong

What's wrong with that?
It sounds as though, in LA, they only have A and B mains according to SRad:

"Here in So. California 1/8 has dwindled down to 1 heat and maybe 2 on a good day. So for club races.....I think giving it a try is worth it. At the bigger races as well as Nats.....then revert back to established rules. SOMETHING has to give. My 2 cents."

It sounds like they're racing with very few 1/8th scalers (no C or lower mains). They are trying to build just 1/8th scale. I thought they were seeing a general downturn, but, I gather, it's just 1/8th scale they want to augment.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #501
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default RE

Correct Rich
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #502
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
It sounds as though, in LA, they only have A and B mains according to SRad:

"Here in So. California 1/8 has dwindled down to 1 heat and maybe 2 on a good day. So for club races.....I think giving it a try is worth it. At the bigger races as well as Nats.....then revert back to established rules. SOMETHING has to give. My 2 cents."

It sounds like they're racing with very few 1/8th scalers (no C or lower mains). They are trying to build just 1/8th scale. I thought they were seeing a general downturn, but, I gather, it's just 1/8th scale they want to augment.
Yes, the last race I attended (Saturday) had all together three 1/8 sign-ups, whereas we had 4 classes of 1/10 sedan with total of about 25 sign-ups. While this is low for labor day weekend we seldom have more than 10 running 1/8 other than the big races.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #503
Tech Master

Why has it fallen off. Three years ago at Revelations it was hopping. Up North we have seen a resurgence of 1/8th
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #504
Tech Elite

Quote:
Why has it fallen off. Three years ago at Revelations it was hopping. Up North we have seen a resurgence of 1/8th
I don't know. Some of the 1/8 racers are now running sedan as there are more competition or perhaps cheaper. This is also true for the races in Taiwan. It just seems that 1/8 is losing out to 1/10.

I know that I will be getting into 1/8 but the cost is daunting. $500+ for a kit and $400+ for a engine -- about $1000 just to start without servo, radio, body, tires, and hop-ups -- compare to about $600 ($300+ for kit and $200+ for motor) for 1/10. I know these numbers vary based on the kit and motor you get but I think my comparison is fair.

I don't know if a stock/spec class will help. I will be racing 1/8 regardless, but I think it's a good idea to try different things to get people excited about 1/8 again.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #505
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
It's about lowering the perceived cost of 1/8 to encourage more people to participate.
The cost is not perceived- it's real.

1/8th scale is obviously not an entry level/budget class. It is a class for racers to aspire to participate in when they gain experience and understanding of racing RC. If you are trying to attract newb racers to the class, they will do nothing but get discouraged no matter what engine they purchase. Tires are $30 a set, fuel $30 a gallon, glow plugs, belts, etc..... Sorry to say, but you need a big wallet to run this class if you are not sponsored.

When the newb shows up with one engine, runs it lean the first heat he's in and drop's the plug in it, will he be back next week? At all? Probably not- unless he has a wallet.

In every form of racing, there are different classes geared at different budget's- Go Kart's, Rally Cross, Oval, Dirt Modifieds, Sprint Car's, Midget's, etc... The same goes for RC.

The cost of this hobby will continue to increase. You need to look no further than your local gas pump.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #506
Tech Elite

I don't know what the answer is, but trying to do something about it is better than just sitting there and complain.

Perhaps you guys have a healthy 1/8 turn out and people in your track can afford it. Well good for you, and this spec/stock class is not for you.

As I said in my previous post, the 1/8 class here is dwindling possibily losing racers to 1/10 due to cost and popularity. We like to try something here to get more people running 1/8.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #507
Tech Master

I'd like to see the class grow also. My nearest track is 2.5 hours away and I regularly run at tracks 6-7 hours away once a month. Maybe you should get a series going with surrounding tracks.

here's an example-

www.midwestseries.com

there is usually 'A' through 'D' mains in 1/8th at most events. more than sedans usually draw. It might be a class sparker for you guy's also. many are throwing in the towel on sedans in favor of 1/8th.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #508
Tech Master

Okay, how many venues are there, in LA, for racing sedans (gas only)? How many entrants do they (as a group) typically draw?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #509
Tech Elite

Quote:
Okay, how many venues are there, in LA, for racing sedans (gas only)? How many entrants do they (as a group) typically draw?
Rich, there are Revelation, KZ (a bit too big for 1/10), and Crystal Park. For typical turnouts, take a look at www.revrace.com and look at race results. I'd say 30 typically.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #510
Tech Master

So, you have two tracks.

I noticed at Rev there were mutliple classes in each scale - but, none had more than 10 entries (Aug 6) (19 total in Sedan):
Sedan Beg - 4, Sedan Ama - 5 and Sedan Exp - 10 with
3 in 1/8th That's odd. (is that really a normal turn out?)

What is the attendance at CP?