R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #466
Tech Initiate

Default ROAR

I went to the ROAR site, and indeed we do have a Promotions Director (I actually found out we have EIGHT directors; I'll have to find out what they do because that surprised me). I went to the promotions section of the ROAR site, and they had a really cool "track pack" for starting an RC organization. I browsed through it; it looked like it covered a lot of good items and stuff I wouldn't have thought of immediately.

There was nothing else, however. Is ROAR conducting any promotions? Heck, I went to the News section and all I saw was a change in bylaws from October 2004 (almost a YEAR ago!) and the 2005 Nats schedule. Such things are cared about only by the ROAR members.

Actually, what kind of promotions can ROAR really hold? The budget is pretty low (low membership fee, few members). Advertising is expensive...

I think what we really need is someone with an "in". Does anybody know Tony Stewart? He's an RC driver; maybe we could get him to say something after a race ("Well Alan, the Home Depot Chevrolet was pretty good today. I'm going to celebrate my victory by going to my local radio-controlled car track and race when I get home. For more information, please go to http://www.roarracing.com").

Tz
Tzadkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #467
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"Smoke" has already done that! In 2002 when he won the championship, he was on "Inside Winston Cup" (what it was called then) and being interviewed by Alan Bestwick. They were all at Homestead Speedway practicing with their '03 cars, the first year of common template cars. By the way, this was the Monday after the last race of the season. Imagine a football team practicing the day after winning the Super Bowl.

Anyway, Bestwick asks him what's next and he says "I got a couple of RC races coming up, one here in Florida and one in Cleveland." Also just about every time he's on "Wind Tunnel" he gets an RC plug in.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #468
Tech Champion

Another quick point. I have a fairly good relationship with the owner of a LARGE hobby shop on LI, Willis Hobbies. Willis is the hobby shop every other shop wishes it was. They literally have everything. www.willishobbies.com The website stinks but check out the pictures of the store. Ken will freely discuss with me the business end of hobbies. Ken has good business sense, he only sells what's going to make money for him, which is why he doesn't carry the high end racing stuff. Not enough markup, and racers will go out of their way to get that stuff cheaper.

Ken has said to me a couple of times now that not just RC, but the entire hobby industry is in a decline. The biggest competitor to hobbies is computer games. This is something we are going to have to deal with. We the racers, not the compaines or ROAR, are going to have to control the cost of our hobby or we are destined for oblivion.

I mean think about this, there are now 4 electric touring cars that are selling for more than the average nitro touring car. $370 for at FT TC4? I think I'm running 1/12 this winter.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #469
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Willis Hobbies

Jim,
Funny you mention Willis Hobbies... I used to go there after school quite regularly when I was going to high school! I'd just drool, but eventually I saved up $40 and I bought a used Tamiya Grasshopper (resistor speed control and all). I eventually picked up a Hornet conversion kit (that must have been the BIGGEST live axle I've ever seen!). That was my first "real" RC car!

I'm glad to hear that Willis is still around and still doing OK.

Tz
Tzadkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #470
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROARprez
This group is coming up with outstanding ideasw and moving in a positive direction.

I would like to set up a committee to build interest and participation. Who here is interested?

Send me contact information and a breif description of what you think you could bring to the committee.

Rick
[email protected]
NO!

Carl, put together a proposal and send it to the Ex Com in time for their meeting in the early part of October. Do not let this end up 'in committee'
Old 09-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #471
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
We aready have an informal guideline based on this forum....
> 5 port engines
> non-modified engines (cranks)
> we mentioned off-road engines cause they tend to be cheaper
> Turbo plugs allowed
> Street Price less than $300...
How about restrictors on the carburator and maybe on the pipe?? I think that we can get them for $5 each one. This way we can make the tech process easier than open the motor to see the crank. If someone modify the engine, it will not make any difference on power.
What do you guys think??
Old 09-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #472
Tech Champion

Does anyone know how many ports are in this little beasty?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZ33&P=0

It's $109 @ Tower, well within a typical budget. I figure, a used car, this motor, and a control system you already have, and you'd be well within what a typical 10th scale nitro car would be.

Yes, I'm still looking into cost cutting measures, because the last time I told a "Non-Racer" how much a decent cheap car cost, he scoffed... It's next to impossible to justify the expense to newbs...wich, unfortunatly, seems to be our only salvation. Otherwise, it seems that at least in some areas, RC racing is doomed to mediocrity...low turnouts, high prices...

I was an airplane guy first, so the expense of racing was a little intimidating.(comparing basic equioment costs to aircraft prices; fuel, motors, ect...) However, I quickly realized you don't need the best equipment to have fun and/or win. And that's what racing should be about, above all, having a good time kicking your friends asses.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #473
Tech Master

Walter
any kind of tech opens the same kind of worms we had with sedans, its a hedache and we all know it. All restrictors do is have guys restricting JP's so what is the point. the motor is still high buck. I threw the claimer deal out there to see just how serious everyone was. No one responded, which proves the point that the 5 port stock thing is a joke. Nut up or shut up I say.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #474
Tech Elite

I wouldn't call the spec class a joke just because nobody responded to your post. I wouldn't mind giving up my motor at the end of the event but not during races were i will be forced to buy a new motor and have to worry about retuning and breaking in a motor. With all forms of sanctioned racing theres always gonna be some form of teching involved. Were just trying to lower the cost on 1/8th locally to make competitive racing a little easier to jump into. See you guys at Crystal park T4T, and Rev race T4T.

As for adding spec pipe and others items i think we just need to get this thing going first.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm not knocking the idea's started here, but lets be realistic......

$150- $200 in the difference of the cost of an engine isn't going to stop someone who is already going to shell out $1000+ on a 1/8th ride. It does not matter what engine you show up with, you eventually are going to run with people that are at the same skill level as you are. If your ego is too big to accept that, then you are not in this sport for the fun of it.

Everyone wants to show up and think they will run the A-main. Everyone needs to drop their ego's at the track entrance and run to have some fun. I ran 2nd in the 'G' main at the GLC and had just as much fun as the winner of the 'A'. My driving improved all weekend and maybe next year I'll run in the 'E' or 'F' main- I don't care.

You don't need to re-invent the wheel here. There is already a "Sportsman/Stock" class- it's called the 'C', 'D', 'E'...... and so on mains......

It all makes sense considering that some of the potential future "Stock" 'A' driver's would be running quicker than the "Open" 'B', 'C' or 'D' driver's- maybe even 'A' for that matter.

Team Serpent (and no I'm not a serpent fan- I run Mugen) is winning all over the world with a $329, 7-port engine. Add $50 and you get the pipe set as well. It won the 'A' and 'B' mains at the GLC and many Mid-West Series events. Team driver's will still say it is underpowered- for their skill level, but it's still winning.

It's not the engine that matter's- It's the driver.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #476
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Off the topic, but how is the new Nova Plus motors compare to the older lines? I figure lots of 1/8 folks here I can get some information before I buy one. Thanks.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #477
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hope it's not a dying class....I just ordered two 960's and hope to make it down south to one of the larger events!!

On another note and to add my 2 beans worth...what we have found locally (here in Edmonton, Alberta) is that the more classes that are offered, the thinner the racing pool seems to get. I agree fully with the idea that the A,B,C, etc...mains sort the drivers. Our top driver here in Edmonton turns faster laps than us with his stock 1/10 T.C. than the rest of us running the same car with 10 turns. (He is the past Canadian ROAR Champion though!! ) The other thing that seems to attract racers is a specific "Novice" class. Perhaps a newbie to 1/8 could race in a 1/8 Novice class (car and motor remaining open) and after winning a couple of "novice" mains, could step up into the show.
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Off the topic, but how is the new Nova Plus motors compare to the older lines? I figure lots of 1/8 folks here I can get some information before I buy one. Thanks.
The only difference I see in the specs is the new crank is 14.5mm vs. 14.0mm for the older engines. Timings are probably slightly different also. I'd venture to say most of us would not notice the difference on the track.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #479
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong
The only difference I see in the specs is the new crank is 14.5mm vs. 14.0mm for the older engines. Timings are probably slightly different also. I'd venture to say most of us would not notice the difference on the track.
Thanks for the reply. A guy at our track tells me that it runs hot and he prefers the old 321. So before I pick one of these up I just want to learn more about it. After all, as you all know, it's expensive!
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
Something for you guys to knaw on. Screw the tech, forget the port number, and institute a claimer rule. Top 3 finishers are in the noose. Any one can claim the engine outright starting at the bottom finishing position and moving upward in the field for 200.00 to 220.00 End of story. Give 30 minutes to claim the motor and produce cash. The result will be that the best bang for the buck stocker motor will shake itself out for everyone. And the guy who wants to take his chances with a whiz bang engine, well so be it.

Anyone who refuses the claimer is out of the class for the season. Simple, and effective.

Thats the way its done in limited cost dirt track racing.
So. I understand your proposal...Anyone can run any engine they like...the risk is the top 3 finisher each have to make their engines available for someone to purchase for $225...so baisically, if someone does not want to lose an $800 engine for $200 bucks they better not race it...

I know for a fact not one person in the NY/NJ area would turn over an engine, no matter what type of engine, for $225...(unless of course its stolen)....not a bad ideal, but I think it would create some bad blood a the track....