R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Perhaps the problem, for all of RC racing (I mean racing), is the lack of draw into our sport (RC Racing). I don't believe this is an Eight Scale only issue. It is nice to see Eight grow, I applaud the efforts and energies. But and this is a very BIG but, I maintain our hobby is shrinking because the scales that use to feed eigth scale are dwindling. When I visit the racing venues in our area, including off-road - I see alot of the same faces. I think we (Racers) through our National Organization, ROAR, need to develope interest in our sport - Many ways to do this - but - we need to focus on doing it.

I started in the 80's - Competition Plus was the mag to read (All about Racing: Jay Halsey, Cliff Lett, Magic Man and some dude named Paris). The Ranch was hallowed ground. Now, we have Car Action - Lord, How many Monster Truck parts need to be sold. The Point, here, is they (the rags) don't focus on racing.

The Spec or Sportsman Class will help draw "newbies" into our arena - I support this.

I am afraid in 5 years the youngsters will rather play with Electronic Games than join us - The Next Generation needs to know we exist. There are plenty of Dads who would love to get there kids into an enviroment of fun - and outdoors.
Rich is 100% correct....problem is the younger generation or generation "X" is growing up in the video game age...most of us grow up with PONG and finally Atari...but for us, most of us grew up as model builders / airplane guys etc...

The Magazine have nominal coverage, that's true...its the perception of RC in this country that is hurting us...I don't even dare tell people at work what I do anymore...I'm sick of explaining the difference between RC cars and radio shack cars.....to me, the RTR market has been the best thing for the hobby and the worst thing....

I used to sell parents on the concept, that purchasing a "kit" chassis and working with your kids in building the kit is an educational experience...Today, it makes no economic sense to do so...

I feel the manufacturer's need to get more involved in promoting the hobby...None of them spend any real $$$ advertising on a nationwide level, other than in our industry publications...

For example, RTR guys want to race, Bruckner has hosted HPI events for the past few years. Every year has had over 240 entries...Its nuts...Why???

Perhaps what we need to do is rethink the level of racing in this country... now I've gotten off topic...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re

I agree with the above 2 post 100%. Something has to happen....I don't want to go back to planes!!
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #438
Tech Master

Carl, you are correct. But, the manufactures do this for a profit - not for racing. Be clear - they, like all of the US folks, make parts to make money.

Now, how can we, the racer, help them (the manufatures) make money?

We, the racers, have an organization to promote Racing. Our tool is ROAR.
In the past Associated and Losi seem to help promote win on Sunday sell on Monday - That was then - this is now. We, the racers, need to recreate our niche.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #439
Tech Elite

Quote:
Carl, you are correct. But, the manufactures do this for a profit - not for racing. Be clear - they, like all of the US folks, make parts to make money.

Now, how can we, the racer, help them (the manufatures) make money?

We, the racers, have an organization to promote Racing. Our tool is ROAR.
In the past Associated and Losi seem to help promote win on Sunday sell on Monday - That was then - this is now. We, the racers, need to recreate our niche.
We help the manufacturers plenty, by purchasing all there hop-stuff....

It would seem that if the manufacturers expanded there advertising focus beyond the industry publications...Car Action..(aka:mail order catalog), xtreme, etc....they would benefit from it as well...a coordinated effort with all the manufacturers to advertise on cable during key times would make sense....I'm not talking about the superbowl

Example: While at the Great Lakes Challenge, every night I watched the super cross and other extreme games on MTV...i think is was MTV....but them I started thinking...this is the target audience that RC manufacturers needs to reach...

On that note, ROAR is suppose to be a non-profit organization...my suggestion would be that ROAR and the top manufacturers get together and pool money for advertising....RICK, WHAT ABOUT THIS? Now when people complain that they get nothing for their ROAR membership, you can argue that a portion of your membership fees goes to advertise for the good of the hobby.

A few weeks ago, I saw on some cable channel..a how-to-do RC show hosted by Chris Chianelli (SP)...he used to write for car action...The show was really informative, but I felt it was on the wrong station and missed the target audience....it was sponsored by Hobby Town, who ran commercials...(hats off to them) Bruckner Hobbies does the sam in our area...but thes small little blurbs of advertising are not making a dent....we need to collectively gather fire power and this will come only from the manufacturers / distributors and the racers

more off topic ranting
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #440
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
It would seem that if the manufacturers expanded there advertising focus beyond the industry publications...Car Action..(aka:mail order catalog), xtreme, etc....they would benefit from it as well...a coordinated effort with all the manufacturers to advertise on cable during key times would make sense....I'm not talking about the superbowl
I agree and I don't believe we are "off-topic". To see our Hobby/Sport grow it will take a coordinated approach between Racers and Manufacturers (including their sales channels).

We want to Race - Manufacturers want to sell product.

For racing to grow - we need more Racers. We shouldn't look to the Manufacturers to aid in our efforts - it would be nice, but, remember we are a tiny portion of their sales. If we (Racers, National level) took the first step to organize ourselves and then sell our concept to the Manufacturers - perhaps we could get some real traction.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #441
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

Quote:
That is helpful insight.

Okay a question. As related to the "racer" not the guy hacking around. The question is:
What is the draw off-road has over on-road? (I realize the off road cars are more flexible when you just "hack-around")

More racing facilities?
Better racing structure?
Lower cost?
Just easier to operate?
More accessable?
Better Magazine coverage?

Again, focused on the racer - not just general sales of product.
I talked to Kris about what he thinks creats more intrest in nitro off road these days here's his reply
More racing facilities across the country.
Better race promoting by track owners, clubs, and racers.
Better parts availability, at hobby stores or track side.
Better race coverage which by the way is organized by race promoter a year in advance.
Many different companies make and produce cool option parts for off road.
Cost on engines are lower.
Equipment last longer.
You can run your car any ware not just on a prepared track.
Less equipment needed to race.
Better support from fellow racers.................ect.

Newbie's to off road racing seem to be welcomed more in off road than on road. On road racers seem to be wearing a money mask, with the attitude of I got it and you don't.

In off road everyone is in the dirt getting dirty no one driver is above another.

Check out this link this is why yesterday I asked about your 1/8Th on road turn out in your area, like I said these guys are no joke......................http://www.rcproseries.com/divisions...overallpoints/

http://www.outerlimitsraceway.com/statsresults.htm
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #442
Tech Master

That was an interesting response.

What does the on-road racer see as a common thread:

More racing facilities across the country.
Better race promoting by track owners, clubs, and racers.
Better parts availability, at hobby stores or track side.
Better race coverage which by the way is organized by race promoter a year in advance.
Lower cost - (overall)

I think on-road could benefit from Kris's observations.
Promotion/Marketing. Greater visibility generating more interest.
In all of my posts - this is the direction I hoped this conversation would go. More interest means more racers, more parts, more tracks more more more.

Cost is one of a multitude of points that be addressed by the on-road racing community.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #443
Tech Master

On that note, ROAR is suppose to be a non-profit organization...my suggestion would be that ROAR and the top manufacturers get together and pool money for advertising....RICK, WHAT ABOUT THIS? Now when people complain that they get nothing for their ROAR membership, you can argue that a portion of your membership fees goes to advertise for the good of the hobby. WOW thanks for saying that Carl.
Hat off to you.................
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 PM   #444
Tech Elite

That pro-car link is sick...Now that I have a 21 off-road engine looks like I have a few more options to go racing......
Old 09-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #445
Tech Master

Same concept, different approach.

Perhaps a steering committee who's initiative would be growing our our sport as a whole. A carefully drafted guidelines of goals and objectives would be required first. Even more important, is the individual, who could get this done - without the constant BS bickering that goes on.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #446
Tech Elite

Quote:
Same concept, different approach.

Perhaps a steering committee who's initiative would be growing our our sport as a whole. A carefully drafted guidelines of goals and objectives would be required first. Even more important, is the individual, who could get this done - without the constant BS bickering that goes on.
ROAR has a promotions administrator...perhaps they need more than one person handling this
Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #447
Tech Regular

You have to love the direction this topic has taken .

If we get more people into r/c (racers) we will surely also get more numbers in all the respective classes. This will benefit the community as a whole and not just one class. Awsome work guys....

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #448
Tech Master

This is far more than promotions. This would be a true Marketing Plan for developement of our sport. No small task. Will take some visionaries with backbone to get us moving forward.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #449
Tech Master

Quote:
I agree and I don't believe we are "off-topic". To see our Hobby/Sport grow it will take a coordinated approach between Racers and Manufacturers (including their sales channels).

We want to Race - Manufacturers want to sell product.

For racing to grow - we need more Racers. We shouldn't look to the Manufacturers to aid in our efforts - it would be nice, but, remember we are a tiny portion of their sales. If we (Racers, National level) took the first step to organize ourselves and then sell our concept to the Manufacturers - perhaps we could get some real traction.
Very well said Rich we as racers need to pull our resources together and promote our hobby on a higher level.

I'm working on something as we speak I'm trying to get more magazine coverage, create more local race events for those who can't get the time off to travel to big races, and I'm working on something to make our hobby more visible to a larger demographic.
And as for the magazines they make a lot of money from the races we create.
You can't do this with out legs to stand on that's why we have to build our hobby up first then move on to the next step.
We need to attack one issue at a time.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #450
Tech Master

Agreed. But, first the issues must be identified/prioritized and then given a level of importance as action items.

Rags are involved, electronic or print, only as a tool to elevate the awareness of our Racing hobby. It will take a collective of individuals - I'm glad you are working on a plan (I applaud that) - but, I really feel this should be at a national level.