wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

1/8 STOCK?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #408
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

I know this question was for Rick Wilson but I thaught I would and my 2 cents.

1/8TH off road buggy
1/8TH off road truggy

Off road is no joke they got there stuff together.
This is coming from sales reports across the board from different manufactures.

P.S.
Nitro of coarse I don't no about electric.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #409
Tech Elite

Robbie, I too am on both sides (if by that you mean you are both a racer & are some way involved in the distribution of r/c equipment) and am aware of what costs what. I don't want to piss anyone off, especially someone who is trying to help increase participation in a class I love to race. But, I still have a problem with the 5 port thing! There are 8 port buggy engines under $200! I have a friend who raced a Hyper .21 8 port in a serpent, and it actually worked pretty well. His fuel economy was off-the-hook! The power band of that engine is actually more like an on-road engine than buggy. Allthough this engine fits the spirit of this discusion, it would be illegal by the rules you guys are suggesting. By the way, prices I mention are my selling prices, and should be typical 'street' prices. All the engines on your list are from the most expensive manufacturers! 3 or 4 N R based, OS (not as high), Picco (also not so bad). I just think typical selling price and easy tech should be the main concern. I'm tired, gotta go home....I'll make more 'obviously superior' suggestions later .
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #410
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Duneland, I think the Hyper 21 is a perfect example why engine should be limited by retail price. A decent performance engine can obviously be made under $200. If this become a popular class I am sure more manufacturers will come up with products to satisfy the demand.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #411
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE C

1/8TH off road buggy
1/8TH off road truggy

P.S.
That is helpful insight.

Okay a question. As related to the "racer" not the guy hacking around. The question is:
What is the draw off-road has over on-road? (I realize the off road cars are more flexible when you just "hack-around")

More racing facilities?
Better racing structure?
Lower cost?
Just easier to operate?
More accessable?
Better Magazine coverage?

Again, focused on the racer - not just general sales of product.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #412
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Duneland brought a point that I made earlier on the tread. Theres very good engines with more than 5 ports that can be had for less than $300. By saying only 5 port engines, we are limiting the racers choices.

If theres a problem with buying used engine that are more than $300 when bought new, a list of allowed engines should be compiled and updated yearly. I againg bring up the O.S. VZ-RII, a very good engine for $300.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
1/8 STOCK?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #414
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE C

1/8TH off road buggy
1/8TH off road truggy

P.S.
I think the growth in off-road has always been the fact that it is a lot cheaper the race off-road than on-road...even in electric...you do not need killer batteries to be competitive and in nitro, the engines are a lot cheaper...
Old 09-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #415
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Robbie, I too am on both sides (if by that you mean you are both a racer & are some way involved in the distribution of r/c equipment) and am aware of what costs what. I don't want to piss anyone off, especially someone who is trying to help increase participation in a class I love to race. But, I still have a problem with the 5 port thing! There are 8 port buggy engines under $200! I have a friend who raced a Hyper .21 8 port in a serpent, and it actually worked pretty well. His fuel economy was off-the-hook! The power band of that engine is actually more like an on-road engine than buggy. Allthough this engine fits the spirit of this discusion, it would be illegal by the rules you guys are suggesting. By the way, prices I mention are my selling prices, and should be typical 'street' prices. All the engines on your list are from the most expensive manufacturers! 3 or 4 N R based, OS (not as high), Picco (also not so bad). I just think typical selling price and easy tech should be the main concern. I'm tired, gotta go home....I'll make more 'obviously superior' suggestions later .
its a god point. Hyper .21 that's the OFNA engine yes??? its been a while since I worked at Bruckner...Yes the engine is priced right...does OFNA make a 5-port???? is the hyper .21 an off-road engine??? How reliable is the engine for on-road....concern is the engine last less than a full season and you need to repair it or get another....the engine I listed are very strong engines with excellent craftsmanship....

If so. perhaps the rules should restrict it to off-road engines only...it will be easy to tech, believe me...the had on my off-road engine is huge...I'm going to have to butcher the body to make it work.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #416
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
Duneland brought a point that I made earlier on the tread. Theres very good engines with more than 5 ports that can be had for less than $300. By saying only 5 port engines, we are limiting the racers choices.

If theres a problem with buying used engine that are more than $300 when bought new, a list of allowed engines should be compiled and updated yearly. I againg bring up the O.S. VZ-RII, a very good engine for $300.
Its similar to saying why limit electric stock to just 27turns...you need to draw the line somewhere....

You identify the concern with having just a price limit...Someone can go on-line a purchase a used JP modified engine (2-3years old) and say, hey it cost me $299, so I can race it....kind of loses the spirit of what we are trying to do....

If its a port limitation, than it eliminates a number of gray areas
Old 09-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #417
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
That is helpful insight.

Okay a question. As related to the "racer" not the guy hacking around. The question is:
What is the draw off-road has over on-road? (I realize the off road cars are more flexible when you just "hack-around")

More racing facilities?
Better racing structure?
Lower cost?
Just easier to operate?
More accessable?
Better Magazine coverage?

Again, focused on the racer - not just general sales of product.
In this order:
1.) Lower cost
2.) more accessable
3.) more racing facilities
4.) easier to operate
5.) better magazine coverage...

This from a racer's perspective and from someone who has sold 10x more off-road RC race chassis compared to on-road....Since 1991
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #418
Tech Master

Okay, in my area, San Francisco Bay Area, I am aware of one Off Road Track. It's in an the outlying area. I know of six, possibly more, on road racing venues. In this area, again relating to racers, it looks like "off-road" is less popular (with racers) than on-road. 10 years ago - we had four, very good, off road venues. Is the rest of the country different than us (racing of course).

I am not speaking about product sales - I'm talking about racers involvement
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #419
Tech Elite

Quote:

I think compiling a lsit is a fair arguement...I tried to do so earlier and listed a few....problem is the burden of teching is on someone who has to be up to date with all the approved engines...

When I teched at the 2005 region 2 electric on-road regionals, I saw sedan bodies I had no idea were approved...sucked having to download the list from ROAR....made things more complicated....what happend the the original Dodge Stratus
Old 09-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #420
Tech Elite

Quote:

I think compiling a lsit is a fair arguement...I tried to do so earlier and listed a few....problem is the burden of teching is on someone who has to be up to date with all the approved engines...

When I teched at the 2005 region 2 electric on-road regionals, I saw sedan bodies I had no idea were approved...sucked having to download the list from ROAR....made things more complicated....what happend the the original Dodge Stratus