Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
1/8th On Road Losing Popularity? >

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Not arguing with you....I just think its going to get very complicated if a minimum price is enforced.....if a local clubs wants to say, only engines less than $200...great

This is starting at a local level and hopefully all of our comments will be taken under consideration when the local clubs set their own guidelines....

As ROAR will wait and see if this grassroots type racing takes off, I think a nationwide set of guidelines will have to wait....maybe then a price can be discussed, but the manaufacturers are going to need to get involved.

As the boyz from the bronx say, lets just fu$kin' race....
Old 08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Take out the p[rice caps and you will have my support

The original direction works.

I will definately support the direction of 5 port non-modified additional 1:8 class as well as the current open class.

This we could actually tech as well. Tech before the race then mark and seal the engine.

This is the class to open to more body choices as well Porsche 962, McLaren, etc...

Call it 1:8 stock class or ????

Rick
Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I went to the sedan nationals years ago in Texas, of course it was washed out, but they teched and marked each engine prior to qualifying. By the time I was done registering, the guys had my engine teched and marked...

good point.

I also like the term 1/8th "stock"

So Rick, How does one get this process going to have ROAR evaluate a proposal and establish a basic set of guidelines?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default how to make it happen

Here's what to do.

Create an email that outlines your ideas as specifically as possible. Show you have support from other racers (like people in this thread or....)

Send this email to the ExCom. I will make sure this is discussed by the ExCom and passed on to the class committee to discuss. As I said I think this is a good idea (without price caps) and will support this positive idea to build more interest and fun in the class.

Rick
Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default RE

Now this is the positive step and direction this class needs. Let's make this happen!!! This is what I am talking about.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

AS far as bodies go, I think we should be allowed to use whatever is used on the OPEN class, and if anybody wants to use the mclaresn and porches, they can use those. I think the restrictions should be on the engine alone, as that is the most expensive parts, other than the car.

We cant tell the manufactureres how much the engines should cost, but if enough people stop buying the really expensive ones, then they will have to make them for less or they will loose money.

Lets talk with our wallet people.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
As the boyz from the bronx say, lets just fu$kin' race....
Carl,
You must have heard that from me.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Suspended

i think the best way to lower the cost of getting into the 1/8th classes would be buying your car second hand which can save you alot, and import them from other countries for example japan,singapore etc.. you can strike a bargain from there, everyday there is a 1/8th off road or onroad for sale that comes with engine new or second hand with parts and tires etc.. the price difference between Australia and USA compared to Asian countries is different, much lower.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with jeffrey that there has to be a retail max tag as one of the criteria for the spec class. Since this all came up due to cost of racing.

I would also like to thank Rick Wilson/roar prez. for joining the discussion and giving us feed back on what is reasonable as far as teching is concerned.

from what i have read i think the engines should have a xxxx retail price
to make sure that the street price lands somewhere in the 200-290 range.
5 port limit so that a lot of high quality engine manuf can have one or two engines qualify in the list which i would say they already do. last no modifications to the engine.

As for buying used equipment of course its going to be cheeper but it is most likely outdated. with the spec engine class not only will it lower cost but it makes every body who is joining the class whether true or not feel like they are on somewhat a level playing field.

Last edited by Francis M.; 08-30-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/8 cost controls

Why does the premier class have to be "spec'd"? We have other classes if you want to save dollars and learn the hobby -- 200mm TCs with stock motors, brushless electric, etc. Why change 1/8 at all? At RAMS we have 50-60 1/8 racers every race (www.rams-rc.com) and an active Sportsman group. Frankly, I love the power of a mod motor in my 1/8 and I don't want to go backwards. Adding a new class will only pull people out of the class.

My path to 1/8 was this:
92-93: 1/10 electric offroad
93-95: 1/12 electric onroad, 1/10 oval on-road
99-02: 235mm 2WD
03: 235mm 4WD outlaw
04-present 1/8

If I had started in 1/8 I would have quit within a year, without a doubt. It's too much for a beginner -- the sheer attention to detail required is insane. Clutches, tire sizes, 2-speed settings, shaft replacements, belt health, bearing replacement, motor teardowns and inspections, glow plug checking, compression height adjustments, pipe replacements, it's all too much for a beginner. For someone with a few years of RC under their belt it's a blast. Beginners to RC racing should start in a class that does not pummel the beginner for their mistakes. Don't change 1/8 to create a beginner class; let people migrate to 1/8 as their RC skills improve.

Tz

PS -- I think the Lola bodies look pretty cool, but I would like it if a more modern body came out that had equivalent or better performance. Until that happens I'm running Lolas!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Suspended

as long as you make sure that your buying a car that still has parts for it and will be competative for example a Mugen MRX3 is still a very good car to race and there are a number of those poping up on the for sale threads all over this site and others.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You seem well informed Rinkeberg, what 1/8th scale cars do you own?

Where do you you run 1/8th scale?

The OX
Old 08-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

In Europe, the class is also dropping down, I think the cost is the main issue, since almoust every driver would love racing 8 scale if they had a big enough wallet.

Things to do!

Number 1 issue, is tire cost, this is like butter, you use a lot of it!
Number 2 issue, is engine cost
Number 3 issue, fuel cost

the cost of the kit's is not that big of a deal, since a Mugen/Serpent/Kyosho last at least two sesons.

Serpent deserves credit for doing something about this problem, they have seen the problem and are solving it.

I run Mugen now, but will change to Serpent, buy Mega engines and support them the way I can, If all racers to the same, Novarossi and the others will be forced to cut prices.

I only wish somebody made ok tires at low cost as well.

My 2 cents,

Stig Berntsen, Norway
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 AM
Suspended

ye well im a bit of a RC freak hehe so i enjoy being updated , knowing the ropes of RC e.g. where to get the best prices, what cars to buy,and what to race and what not to race depending on popularity of that class of racing, ive been involved in RC for about 8 years now and have had my share of experiences, racing electric truck(team losi XXTCR Graphite plus) and in the 235mm class i raced a Neo attack mx2 and just played around with 1/8th off road and on road but now im seriously thinking of building up my profile and start racing 1/8th off road which is pretty afordable but later on i will be trying to buy a Mugen MRX4 and race on road which is alot of fun, you gotta love the speed! i used to have a Neo 1/8th onroad but dont have that anymore since they went bankruped, unfortunate, they where very good cars, at the moment im joining up with the CasterRacing team In Australia which i cant wait to do, just waiting for their PRO kit to be released, and its not a bad looking car i might ad and im currently runing a webpage to help spread the name and help anyone that buys one of these buggies. http://groups.msn.com/CasterRacingAustralia/homepage
Old 08-31-2005, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with Tzadkiel 100%.

1/8 I dont think is a beginner class at all. 1/10 open or 1/10 touring are great stepping stones. Creating the 2 classes worries me in the sense that it might thin out current numbers.

So lets say we get a "spec" class. Is this really going to reduce cost? OK so you spent less on the motors. Your racing season just got $300 cheaper!! That it?? I dont get it. there is more cost associated to tires, fuel, car maintenance etc. than motors.

I think that looking at the cost of the motor is wrong. You have to look at savings over the course of a season.

At the end of the day I worry a competative "spec" class will net out at a minimal difference, pull people away from 1/8 open and help thin out the class even more in areas where its already bad.

John

At least people are talking about it....just hope everyone keeps an open mind and doesnt slam anyone for their opinions or concerns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.