R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

After two years of racing 1/10th, I picked up a used MRX-3 to give 1/8th a try at the MWS. I raced the car for the first time last weekend and I have never had so much fun. It left me wondering why I have a 1/10th car. Hopefully the class will grow in my area, and I'll be able to race it more.

Jimmy
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #17
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

1/8 is too expensive, not the kit, but the engines are at least $500 if you want to be competitive, they don't last same time as the .12's, tires are 2-3 tomes more expensive than sedan tires, I know they last longer but how about getting a chunk? Fuel consuming is a lot, bodies cost 2-3 times more than the sedans.
I notice like 1 year ago buy a .12 engine was about $100-$150, now they are $300-$500, that means that the prices for the hobby keep going up. If this keep going the same way, I think that in 1 year all of us will be running VirtualRC at home
Old 08-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
1/8 is too expensive, not the kit, but the engines are at least $500 if you want to be competitive, they don't last same time as the .12's, tires are 2-3 tomes more expensive than sedan tires, I know they last longer but how about getting a chunk? Fuel consuming is a lot, bodies cost 2-3 times more than the sedans.
I notice like 1 year ago buy a .12 engine was about $100-$150, now they are $300-$500, that means that the prices for the hobby keep going up. If this keep going the same way, I think that in 1 year all of us will be running VirtualRC at home
Walter, do the 1/8 engines wear out faster?

I see people repair chunked tires. It seems to work fine.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #19
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Walter, do the 1/8 engines wear out faster?

I see people repair chunked tires. It seems to work fine.
From my experience, yes. I think that in high competition fixed chunk tires is not a good idea. Just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

First of all, Virtual RC is not even close to the real thing....not on 1/10th TC, and FAR OFF from real 1/8th on road...

Like g12314, I picked up a used 950R alittle bit before him and ran the car at the same weekend with him..........if there are more 1/8th ppl racing around midwest...I will throw the 1/10th 200mm TC in the recycling bin, TC are NO MATCH to 1/8th..........I too ran the 235mm Impact/835 as well, that is NO MATCH to 1/8th...but still, more fun then 1/10th 200mm TC.

Both 235mm and 1/8th.........the car must be in complete screw up situation to be undrivable..........I was running some used foams, with eye balled setup (no setup guage cause don't want to buy one)......both cars are on rail and the 235mm are faster then any other TC with 5 ports motor.....and I was running a 4 years old 3 ports non turbo enigne.........

Ppl has to try one of those 1/8th first....about 1/8th is expensive. probably 10 years old, it is all depends on the buyer.......I don't believe a new car will give you a much faster or more understanding of the car...I have a used 950R (90% new) for $250...on ebay, I have seen 950/950R from $200-280....a OK 21 engine (new)...are $350. A pipe set, $60-80........I don't see these equipment are a lot cheaper on 200mm TC............but a fully deck up 200mm will never get to the point like 1/8th does (if the track is big and wide enough)....

Last...don't tell me tires are expensive...ebay (Jaco Nitro shoes)....a set of 35 shores 1/8th foams are less then $30 shipped...so does Twister tires..around $30 a SET..........TC are about $25 a set, but TC tires last only 1 day of race......

Bigger is NOT always more expensive...take a look around, 1/8th is much cheaper then before and TC is NOT any cheaper at all ( a decent 12 engine is $200 plus...)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I would've agree with you mostly until I tried them last week. The higher speed and better handling is very addicting.
Jeff,

Was it your own car that you were trying out last week?

If you've finally decided to get one, that's great because it will add another racer running 1/8th in our area making it more fun.

If not, you should really get one. I know you will be fast with it (even faster driver than how you already are now in the sedan class).
Old 08-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf-ronni
Jeff,

Was it your own car that you were trying out last week?

If you've finally decided to get one, that's great because it will add another racer running 1/8th in our area making it more fun.

If not, you should really get one. I know you will be fast with it (even faster driver than how you already are now in the sedan class).
Thanks Ron. I've been trying different people's cars here in Taiwan. The cars are different and the setups are different but even the worst handling one carves the corner like a dream compares to a 1/10 sedan!

I'll probably get one eventually. I just have barely enough time to maintain one car at a time and I am still having lots fun with the sedan.

Soon though. I think I am hooked.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #23
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks Ron. I've been trying different people's cars here in Taiwan. The cars are different and the setups are different but even the worst handling one carves the corner like a dream compares to a 1/10 sedan!

I'll probably get one eventually. I just have barely enough time to maintain one car at a time and I am still having lots fun with the sedan.

Soon though. I think I am hooked.
You guys make me think about getting an 1/8 scale
Old 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
Lets GO Lets GO !
Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #25
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Lets GO Lets GO !
I will find out something before, and if I get a good answer, maybe
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
I too was NEVER thought about 1/8th.......tires, fuel, engines, cars are all EXPENSIVE........but that was what I thought, I was never actually look at the price on the market for something that I was never even want to try....
Then 1 day, someone let me drive his $1000 invested race car......and said, the car was a complete screw up....pushing here and under there....I drove the car for 5 minutes........and wow, I wish my TC can handle like that....what pushing? What Under..? I cannot even tell.......car was ON RAIL...

But of course, he is a Pro 1/8th racer, a little push, and under from 1 corner to another does bother him.......but driving his car, I was in complete hooked...

See you can find one of your friend to let you run the 1/8th first...you must TRY it first...don't spend $800 because ppl like us tell you so....RUN it first, those 3 HP on the straight about 80 mph feeling, plus the 'impossilbe to get fish tail" feeling........there are no 1/10 TC can compare....

P.S...1/8th MUST required a fully prepared track, and at least 160x280 size track..........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad
I will find out something before, and if I get a good answer, maybe

I guess we'll be having another guy in the 1/8th class then !
Old 08-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been running touring car for 6+ years and it is fun. We have a big 1/8th scale following here in Texas. However, besides the price to be competitive in that class, you are limited to running on only asphalt due to the foam tires. In many venues, concrete is the only surface to race on and foams just will not work on that surface (experimented many times). Touring car will still be around due to being able to use rubber tires if concrete is the only surface you have to race on. If someone would make a rubber capped tire for 1/8th scales for the folks that have no choice but to run on concrete, then the touring car class would be in trouble.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Yeah 1/8 scaale seem too big and really ugly body's sure you can probly get a Sedan body but it won't look the same as it does on a 1/10's scale.

Plus can you drift 1/8 scale cars?
RC-HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #30
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:

I guess we'll be having another guy in the 1/8th class then !
Hey Jeffrey, look at what you started