R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #196
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreasurada
Just bought a brand new 950R (still in box) off ebay for $380, is it a good deal?
I garanteed you the cost of the 950R from dealer is somewhere around that price....good job.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #197
Tech Champion

So what is the conclusion to make it happen ? How to implement and enforce the new regulation to make 1/8 racing back to popular again?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #198
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Your right, we got a little of topic there....

The way it starts is at the local club level (grass roots) If your involved with your local club ask them to offer a seperate class with an agreed upon "spec" engine.

I will ask BARCAR, in NY/NJ to offer one and give up my hot modified engine for a "SPEC" engine. Bet I go faster with my "SPEC" engine.

Those racers who try it should post results. Too bad we are starting this late in the racing season, but we should have a few guys before the season ends with some input.

Not sure if we have enough time to offer a "SPEC" class for the 2005 1/8th ROAR Nationals.

I will report back in a few weeks with my results running a "SPEC" type engine.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #199
Tech Elite

Just ordered a JP FX-21 B5 NS (stock) engine for $275.00...off-road crank should make for a good "SPEC" motor.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

My Novarossi TOP PT21 SP1 is a old motor, but for $250 I heard it spits out some good beginner power. I too think there should be a spec class for 8th.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All this talk of an affordable way of getting into 8th scale, reminds me of the attempts made by our LHS. The Power Racing XR80 comes with everything but fuel and batteries, for under $400, that even includes a starter. He sold several, but only a few actually made it out on raceday(probably because the races are so few and far between recently). The fact is, these cars are everything an 8th scale car is supposed to be, just a whole lot cheaper. If you chose these, they would all have the same motors, wheels, and of course, now you can get a pre-painted Lola. This would be the best, already available way of getting new people into 8th scale. And for those like me, we can just install our radio in it, and still save money over a new or used kit...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #202
Tech Adept

Default Way to get more 1:8 on road cars out there

I have three simple lettters that will get more people running 1:8 on road

RTR

Look what it did for 1:8 buggies.....
ROARprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #203
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My point exactly, newbs don't like to build anything, they want to install batteries and "play". I feel like the XR80 RTR is perfect for this purpose...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #204
Tech Elite

HEY RICK, nice to see your checking out this forum. You see the suggestions, lets get ROAR involved in putting together some guidelines for a "SPEC" class and lets Get-R-Dun!!!

I like the RTR concept...look what it has done for monster trucks. Problem is, Until other manufacturers make an RTR availble, this class will be limited to XR80's only, which no one who has ton of Mugen or Serpent parts will invest in.

Now, if Mugen and Serpent come out with RTR's that's a whole new ball game.

R40victim: your point supports the fact that less than 2% of all car kit sales make it to a "so-called" race track. Most of the newbee's are parking lot bashers.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:22 PM   #205
Tech Adept

Default How to make this work for ROAR events

Start this at the local level. Show the support for the "new" class and then it can be folded into ROAR rules and higher level races.
ROARprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

After reading the last handfull of post i would support a spec class. I think it is an excellent idea and should start on a local level. I race with Carl G. on occasion and we haven't seen any real new blood in the hobby in awhile. I think this will open up the flood gates to the people that are intimidated by the high dollar amounts and higher end equiptment they think they need to compete. We all know that skill overcomes $$$ most of the time.
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #207
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROARprez
Start this at the local level. Show the support for the "new" class and then it can be folded into ROAR rules and higher level races.
...it will start at the local level....I'm already campaigning for a spec class in my area......

but why does ROAR continue to react and wait instead of being proactive....the fact that this tread has gotten a fair amount of interest nationwide in itself demonstrates enough support.

ROAR was designed to establish guidelines for fair competition. Seems to me that ROAR's inability to establish basic guidlines for a potential SPEC 1/8th scale class misses its purpose.

If ROAR sits around to see what the local level guys are doing, it will have too many variables to deal with....LETS STEP-UP now and get something out there:::My sugestion.

1.) .21 size engine (non-modified cranks, limited to 5 ports)
2.) turbo plugs permitted
3.) Engine must retail no higher than $350.

With these parameters, there are only a few engine available...lets identify those engines and build them into the program.

We should set a timeline of 60-days, so by the 10/30/2005..The "SPEC" engines will be know and perhaps a few clubs, weather permitting will run a class with the 2005 year and we are ready for 2006.

Our goal should be help reduce the cost of racing 1/8th. Limiting an engine is the easiest and quickest way to do so.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #208
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

Carl,

Forgive me for asking, just being the devil's advocate:

How is this proposed spec class supposed to grow 1/8th scale? All I am seeing proposed would divide what few drivers the class has already. Which, as I pointed out, should be done with driver ability without equipment differences, and only on a local level. You, yourself, just said "no one who has ton of Mugen or Serpent parts will invest in" the new class if there is a spec car (I don't think there should be a spec car or class, to set the record straight), etc....that quote implies the entries would come from people who have a 1/8th car already. And that means they probably have an engine that wouldn't be legal for this spec class, too....another $275 would need to be spent, using your engine as an example. I suppose that is good for driver retention in some ways.

Should sponsored drivers like yourself be running this class after it gets off the ground? How would the new people that this class is supposedly targeting like that? Once again, we should go back to having a separate, local-only, sportsman-driver class with the same rules as expert.

From Jamie: "We all know that skill overcomes $$$ most of the time." So why does there need to be another class? Does everyone need to be a winner in order to stay in the hobby? Granted, it's nice to be competitive. But most club races that I have been to only have a handful of national-level drivers, if any at all. The superior equipment you might have or the money you've spent does not guarantee an A-Main spot.

Hence, dumbing-down and dividing 1/8 with engine restrictions is bad. These kinds of things worked great for 235's (insert sarcasm here), although there were multiple factors that 1/8 doesn't have to face today.

Next thing you know, we'll have a 3-port class for 1/8 buggy, Pullstart-class for Monster Trucks, Side-exhaust class for 1/10 trucks, etc. In 2008, ROAR will have 206 national champions crowned.

I've said my last piece. Thanks and good luck with the new class. If it takes off, I'll stick my foot in my mouth.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ianhobbies
Default 8 scale

how about tire costs? y not use the f1 format... 1 set for whole qualifying and 1 set for a long main race... .21 engines also gulps lots of fuel.. how about fewer qualifying sessions?
ianhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #210
Tech Elite

wagnerov: you bring up good points. What we are trying to do is minimize the cost of 1/8th racing for existing drivers and stop the bleeding. (and maybe, as a result new drivers will come back into racing 1/8th) Especially at the local club level....This is the Goal.

I 100% agree with your point of having a sportsmen class....The only problem is, which happend in the CT area years ago....if you won two races in sportsmen, your moved to expert....now the driver feels as if he needs to increase his investment to be competitve...HENCE, my support for a SPEC engine.

Dividing the class is not a bad thing. The term "Sponsored Driver" is a very loose term...I race maybe once or twice a month....attend a few high profile races each year, but I pay for all my own stuff...I'm clearly not as "sponsored" like a Mike S / Josh / Ralph B. Nor am I at there there skill level. My goal as a sponsored driver is to provide a positive image to the hobby, which focuses on helping as many people as I can at a race.

A "SPEC" class my be atttractive to other drivers who are intimidated with having to race fully "sponsored drivers". If a SPEC engine divides the class and is not good, why have a "MASTERS CLASS"??? Maybe the Master Class should have been the "SPEC" class...so drivers were not having to deal with the young guns of RC with super RC skills and super fast engines.

I believe that when given an option to race, a lot of driver will chose a class where they feel they can be competitive for a reasonable price.

This level of dicussion is great, as it challenges the topic of the Forum. perhaps "1/8th REALLY IS POPULAR AND HERE TO STAY".