R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #166
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelish
congradulations to you and barcarc for running the first of these spec cars. We need more people like yourselves to continue the growth of this hobby.

As for as the car is concerned (I am not yelling!!!..lol), nascar, iroc you mentioned, and etc, do not allow hopups that are not approved. This is to keep the playing field level. Learn how to setup the car to go faster than you competitor not your wallet. This is the point of the whole spec class. Once again my 2 cents... took me a long time to earn it so I am giving it..lol
Thanks sfelish,

We run both 200mm and 1.8th at BARCARC, and the interest of the 200mm guys seems to be peaking. Many have already purchased 1.8's and many more are considering it... I think a 'Spec' class will make transition easier for most.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:36 AM   #167
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd like add my 2 cents here as I know I'm new here but I have been involved in all sorts of racing thru out the yrs from real dirt modifieds to outlaw sprinters to RC's

Keep the rules simple..... Next let them purchase a car that they can upgrade and move up to the next level w/o alot of added expense.

Then restrict them to engines and pipe combos and the tires... That there alone will slow them down keep there initial cost down yet allow them to move up with only a purchase of a engine and pipe to the next level w/o having to purchase a complete new setup.
The engine use restrictors in the carbs, the pipes use low end pipes that keeps the engines at there peak output at a lower rpm maybe have them use a lower gear combo to keep them slower.

Those few items I listed will be enough to keep inspection busy and yet be enough to get the class going at a reasonable cost and allow to move up when they feel ready.

James
22dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #168
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=11273
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

interesting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml

Old 08-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #170
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml

Great idea
rccobra705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #171
Tech Regular

I am totally impressed with serpents understanding of the manufacturers role that is needed to keep our hobby growing at the same level of excitment. I hope other manufacturers take this lead and further our growth.

Clubs should also support this idea and try to run races in more populated areas to get maximun expossure.

My hat is off to those clubs and manufacturers!! And when and where I can I will help support the effort as I am sure other racers will!
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:21 AM   #172
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Forgive my ignorance, but would you guys say a 235 car is better suited to a smaller, 10th scale sized track than 8th scale? I've heard nothing but good things about them. In fact, I heard that several months before I started racing 10th scale nitro touring, the 235 class was the largest one here in Pensacola. I'm pretty sure I've only seen one example of these cars in the past 2 years I've been racing. I like the Serpant 835 idea, very cool. I did, however, watch T-Spec come and go locally. Great idea, but alot of racers quickly outgrew them. I think these would take a little longer to get bored with...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #173
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have always liked the idea of spec racing, I think it promotes racing very well. I also feel they are more fun to race on, much more close racing and more competition.

The problem I see with them, however, is that most racers that start on a spec racing class eventually move away from it. We all want to try that new fastest engine or that new great pipe, or this or that other hop-up, and spec class dont allowe it. So the spec class ends up dying. It leaves the racer that cant afford to move up hanging, and eventually they quit.

I think tracks should do a better job of promoting their begginer, and sportman classes. When I started racing I was very intimidated by how fast the expert guys could drive, then I learned the track had a sportman class. That made it a lot more inviting, and it put me with a group of guys that were more at my level of skills. It allowed me to build my skills.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 AM   #174
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
The problem I see with them, however, is that most racers that start on a spec racing class eventually move away from it. We all want to try that new fastest engine or that new great pipe, or this or that other hop-up, and spec class dont allowe it. So the spec class ends up dying. It leaves the racer that cant afford to move up hanging, and eventually they quit.
This is true because people are complex creatures with different behaviour about likes and don't likes. They have different driving style and skill. They have different personal choice of hop ups for their own personal reasons / uses. For examples, they buy hop ups to assist better driving skills or to make the car stronger or just for bling-bling factors.

So how about limited to one or two brands of engines and tires. Preferably $ 350 budget for engine + tires suggested by LHS or track organiser ? So everyone race with the same type of engine & tires. Just like the real thing at Formula 3000, different chassis, different hop ups, different teams, but they get the same engine and tires : Ford Cosworth and Michelin.

Last edited by asw7576; 08-22-2005 at 02:23 AM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #175
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the engine price should be limited and perhaps the # of tires used per weekend, or even better, we should be given 2 tire shores to choose, like 40s or 37s. That way tire wear will be limited and cost reduced. We should be able to buy any stock kit.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #176
Tech Apprentice

08-18-2005, 10:30 AM Post #68

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does the .21 RB 7-Port Sport Circuit engine rate? What would be a good pipe for the engine? The novamega engine seemed to be a good price, but the pipe is almost a hundred dollars. What gives? Are most 1/8th on-road pipes this expensive? Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sean

Thanks
rc_king1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #177
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_king1
08-18-2005, 10:30 AM Post #68

How does the .21 RB 7-Port Sport Circuit engine rate? What would be a good pipe for the engine? The novamega engine seemed to be a good price, but the pipe is almost a hundred dollars. What gives? Are most 1/8th on-road pipes this expensive? Thanks

Sean

Thanks

The RB is good...defintiely a good one to RACE....Nova Mega....hope you can find one (they are discontinued for about 1.5 years now)....MEGA is the new brand, very good...

Pipe, yes, it can be as high as $150...but brand like RD Logic...are around $58...just as good. Or MEGA pipe...around the same price.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #178
Tech Apprentice

Default Motorman / everyone

What is the difference between the following pipes?

1) RD Logics 1/8 One-piece On-road exhaust pipe set polished
Code:RD61800

2) RD Logics One Piece Turbo II for 1/8 On-road (KLR version) Polished
Code:RD61814

3) 61814
One piece rear exhaust "Turbo II" pipe set for 1/8 On Road

What is the "KLR version" pipe? The frst two come off the microRCshop webpage and the third comes from RD Logics webpage. I am thinking on the RC Concepts 7 port circuit engine (sport engine) and a pipe combo.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #179
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_king1
What is the difference between the following pipes?

1) RD Logics 1/8 One-piece On-road exhaust pipe set polished
Code:RD61800

2) RD Logics One Piece Turbo II for 1/8 On-road (KLR version) Polished
Code:RD61814

3) 61814
One piece rear exhaust "Turbo II" pipe set for 1/8 On Road

What is the "KLR version" pipe? The frst two come off the microRCshop webpage and the third comes from RD Logics webpage. I am thinking on the RC Concepts 7 port circuit engine (sport engine) and a pipe combo.

Thanks.
The second and third pipe you list are the exact same thing. These are the later version of the first pipe.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #180
Tech Apprentice

Thank you, but why does microRC list it as "KLR" and the manufacture does not? What is the difference between turbo and turbo 2?