Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Swauger
Sorry Carl!
I get, lady's first....she is much better looking than me, I understand
Old 08-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Fuel for thought....(that's a good one)

I only went on Bruckner Hobbies website for various price comparisions. Basically you can get a kick-ass "SPEC" engine for between $250-$350. Therefore, to keep things simple, we should select 3 different engine types from various manufacturers and say that's it, only these selected engines are permitted as a spec engine;

Some Examples:
Picco XP-21 Pro G1 $229.99
NovaR Top SBK.21 $229.99
Mega 21 Race $259.99 with pipe $349.99
Nova T21RR1 $299.99
OSMAX $??? (I'm sure its under the $350)

I'm sure I missed a few, lets add this to the list and vote on 3 engines for approval....

Keeping it as simple as specifically limiting which engines are permitted seems to work.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #153
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Other than the ports, I think there should be a limit on how much the engine sells for with no modification allowed.

This is important because if this gets popular manufacturers will come out with the "tuned" or "modified" version that costs more. Pretty soon everyone will think they need one of these to be competitive and the cost of motor will go up and the spec idea becomes pointless.

There is a similar rule for the 27T stock class for electric with the cost of motor limited at $40. There are still the "tuned" motors in the market but when limited at $40 the cost doesn't get out of control.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:18 PM   #154
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

I will pick one Engine per manufacturer, since some driver are used to run with a particular company. Instead of only 3 engines, they may get hard to find.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Other than the ports, I think there should be a limit on how much the engine sells for with no modification allowed.

This is important because if this gets popular manufacturers will come out with the "tuned" or "modified" version that costs more. Pretty soon everyone will think they need one of these to be competitive and the cost of motor will go up and the spec idea becomes pointless.

There is a similar rule for the 27T stock class for electric with the cost of motor limited at $40. There are still the "tuned" motors in the market but when limited at $40 the cost doesn't get out of control.
The only problem with limiting the sale price is different stores may sell the same engine for different prices. We could limit the manufacturers retail price...perhaps $400

Problem with the cost basis for 27t, is no one enforces the price limit. Hence the benefit of saying these are the only 3 motors you can use.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #156
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No matter what you restrict, if you couldn't limit nitro and trust guys will run the correct content without having to check it, whats to say they won't change the liner or modify the internals. It will be interesting if you can get a formula that works and everyone agrees to.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #157
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok guys I have an older Serpent Vecter NT with the Rody engine thats real fresh. I'd like to upgrade to a newer car could you please advice on which of these cars I should look at? MRX4 prospec or the new Serpent 960? I'd like to know pros and cons of both. I'm real new ok better clarification I know nothing of onroad racing and need honest input on what would be best suited for me. I have currently purchased 2 MTX-3's to get some racing and setup under my belt and hopefully figure out just what it takes to be competitive. I'm not new to RC at all I use to race Nitro boats Hydros mainly and 1/4 scale winston cup cars. but all this has been a while back. I do currently have some offroad equipment but found out it's not what I would like to do.

James
22dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

they're both gonna have their pro's and con's no matter whom you ask (and you'll get responses from both ends of the spektrum, trust me) they are both awesome machines, and it'll all come down to you and what you want in a car.....

can't forget the Kyosho Evola 2005/Delta XP4 car as well.....

It'll all come to your preference...(go with your gut, don't listen to "Us")

"I'm lookin too......."

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dasher
ok guys I have an older Serpent Vecter NT with the Rody engine thats real fresh. I'd like to upgrade to a newer car could you please advice on which of these cars I should look at? MRX4 prospec or the new Serpent 960? I'd like to know pros and cons of both. I'm real new ok better clarification I know nothing of onroad racing and need honest input on what would be best suited for me. I have currently purchased 2 MTX-3's to get some racing and setup under my belt and hopefully figure out just what it takes to be competitive. I'm not new to RC at all I use to race Nitro boats Hydros mainly and 1/4 scale winston cup cars. but all this has been a while back. I do currently have some offroad equipment but found out it's not what I would like to do.

James
Old 08-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #159
Tech Regular

I believe fuel would be hard but to try to make it 25% would be great. Just how to inforce it.

We are all talking about engines to hold down the cost. How about the car. Lets make them box stock also. No after market alloy, titanium parts allowed. Or make the weight minium higher than the open class is now. If you buy the high cost after market parts it will not benefit one do to the weight. Now we will have a cost effective engine and car program.
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #160
Tech Regular

I am sorry I won't make Crystal Park, bought a new house and have to pack this weeken and next.... my wife said so.... I mean I want to!!!! lol Have a great race and will definetely make the next one!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:21 AM   #161
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelish
I believe fuel would be hard but to try to make it 25% would be great. Just how to inforce it.

We are all talking about engines to hold down the cost. How about the car. Lets make them box stock also. No after market alloy, titanium parts allowed. Or make the weight minium higher than the open class is now. If you buy the high cost after market parts it will not benefit one do to the weight. Now we will have a cost effective engine and car program.
Nah I don't think the hop ups matters much as far as performance goes. Didn't Collari win the worlds with a box stock car? Besides, some option parts are there to improve reliability. By not allowing hop ups might actually end up costing more as you may have to repair/replace the parts more.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #162
Tech Regular

wonder what Mugen and serpent have to say about that statement? "hop ups" don't add to reliabilty... maybe some titanium parts in crucial areas.. but then cost goes up, however weight will answer that question.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM   #163
Tech Fanatic

Default .21 'Spec' Class

BARCARC will introduce this class after our upcoming 'Super Regional' August 26th & 27th. I think it's a great idea and will go a long way towards broadening
our sport.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

hop ups or no hop ups, I look at that as an option for the individual.....

Yes there are some "hop ups" that will absolutely help the car/individual, yet there are some "hop ups" that are strictly just a "bling" factor....Leave hop ups alone, and just "try" (and I stress the word "try") to moderate the motor/pipe and fuel areas......

You can't tell a racer he can only run these the car with no hop us....that what makes your car different from my car (you know what I mean)

#1. now spec'ing a specific "list" of approved powerplants from all manufactures is a start. (from a power, port & cost factor "point of view)

#2. possibly marking the case/carb/pipe combo with a designated "mark" of some sort so all affected individuals in charge of "tech" will realize that the powerplant is "authentic" could possibly work (similar to IROC in Nascar)

#3. and possibly a "spec" tire like in 190mm rubber tire racing could possibly work as well. Spec out a tire for the big races, and possibly have a list of "approved" tires @ the Club Level (might work)

these could somewhat level the playing field and help the class "a bit" and make it truley "all come down to drivin skillz".....

just my .02 cents so don't "yell at me"......(it's an open forum remember???)
Old 08-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #165
Tech Regular

congradulations to you and barcarc for running the first of these spec cars. We need more people like yourselves to continue the growth of this hobby.

As for as the car is concerned (I am not yelling!!!..lol), nascar, iroc you mentioned, and etc, do not allow hopups that are not approved. This is to keep the playing field level. Learn how to setup the car to go faster than you competitor not your wallet. This is the point of the whole spec class. Once again my 2 cents... took me a long time to earn it so I am giving it..lol