R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Cleaning fuel filter?

Do u guys ocassionally dismental your fuel filters to clean?
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct147

I do, i just spray it with fuel the oposite side... or do you mean the fuel filter in the tank?
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default Filter cleaning

I check the fuel line filter regularily for any sign of air leaks. After every 4 litre take of fuel I go through, I will pull the filter apart and clean. I also generally take the oportunity to clean/rinse out the tank also.
texasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
It depends on the tracks your running. . . But to be safe, it would be nice to check it regularly especially if your having trouble in your engine tuning. It might clogged your supply line and eventually would result to engine failure when the filter cloggs up. It would be easier to clean fuel filters than having an engine trouble.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Tech Regular

too many problems with fuel filters you dont need them, there is already a filter in the tank
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
too many problems with fuel filters you dont need them, there is already a filter in the tank
Yup I agree But having an additional fuel filter is a guarantee that there would be no any foreign material that would go through your engine and ruin it. It is much cheaper to invest in a few dollar filter than replacing a hundrer bucks engine
Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Default Fuel filters

My V1S does not have a fuel tank filter, so I must use a fuel line filter. Like all things, if you look over your filter from time to time, you should not have to many problems. In all the time I have used them, both in planes and cars, no problems yet, but I am sure at least on one occasion, my fuel filter has saved me one new engine liner. My 2 cents
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
Tech Champion

I think extra fuel filter is good insurance for engine safety. I've seen some black particles trapped inside the second fuel filter.

Keep the silicone tube short if you suspect the second fuel filter cause engine problem.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaya
Yup I agree But having an additional fuel filter is a guarantee that there would be no any foreign material that would go through your engine and ruin it. It is much cheaper to invest in a few dollar filter than replacing a hundrer bucks engine

having a fuel tank filter negates the need for a second exterior filter....

it only helps if dirt gets in from the fuel tank nipple to the carb....

but if you use a exterior filter, what protectes dirt getting in between the filter and the carb.. add a second, third filter and fourth filter?

fuel filters just add extra headaches in terms of air leaks.....

jmo....
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
but if you use a exterior filter, what protectes dirt getting in between the filter and the carb.. add a second, third filter and fourth filter?

fuel filters just add extra headaches in terms of air leaks
You wont be needing another filter after your second filter since im sure your engine wont start because of air leaks.
after all fuel filter also gives an extra running time for your engine.(additional fuel voume depends on size of the filter.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #11
Tech Regular

i bought myself the small filter. they had 3 sizes , S,m & L. my fuel tank doesn`t have a fuel filter. is the small filter sufficent for 1/10 cars? what`s inside the filter is just a small piece of sponge. that`s what i got in mine. is that what it`s supposed to be?

Thanks guys!
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:38 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
is the small filter sufficent for 1/10 cars? what`s inside the filter is just a small piece of sponge. that`s what i got in mine. is that what it`s supposed to be?
Any size of filter will do. as long as it can filter any foreign material that will harm your engine. I have read before that some guyz used big filters to have an additional volume of fuel aside from their tanks. Others also uses big filters on the high pressure side ( in between the fuel tank and pipe) to lessen the back pressure coming from the pipe. ( instead of looping the hose, they replace it with big volume filters).

cheers
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

All the reading I have done regarding the pressure line to the tank. The reason to add either a large filter, or a loop of fuel line is to increase the volume to be pressurised, so when going around RH corners, where there exists a tendancy for fuel to travel along the pressure line, there is in fact still adequate pressure in the tank to keep a constant flow to your carbi. This really only applies for the first 1, 2 or 3 laps after the tank is refiled. From memory www.rchobbies.org had a good article. search for engine tuning and lean bog.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
The reason to add either a large filter, or a loop of fuel line is to increase the volume to be pressurised
increasing the volume tbe pressurized is the same thing as lowering the back pressure coming from the exhaust pipe. It helps the engine not tbe flooded ( due to high pressure in the tank) during reving up at high speed. hehehe. . . Just correct me if im wrong. . . Anyway its good for everybody to share our ideas. . . .

cheers. . .
Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

I don't think I was to clear. As you come into a right turn, fuel tank full, there is a tendancy for the fuel to travel along the pressure line, thus reducing the pressure in the line to the carb, as during the cornering you back off the throtle. After a few laps, fuel down somewhat, there is a larger area presurised volume across the top of the tank, so as you back off during conering, while the presure does drop, hopefully there is still an uninterrupted supply to the carb ready to power out of the corner?

So the large fuel filter in the pressure line just helps to increase the presurised volume to maintain a steady flow of fuel to the carb, after cornering.

Comments ?