R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Serpent GT problem

hello all,

Have any of you guys had a problem when building the CVD in particular drives hart that connect to the pinion in the gear case.

the pin with the hole which in the dog bone, inserted into the "cup" and finaly the polished pin is used to hold everything together.

the last pin is able to go through all 4 holes in the "cup" and in the pin with the hole inside the dog bone just fine individually BUT when assembling the unit the pin jams and has a very hard time going through the cup (outer) and when it was snapped it the joint seized, make it practically impossible to remove , i finally succeeded but joiint is completely useless and discouraging and very F%^&'n frustrating because the build can't really continue.

how do I deal with the F%^&ing very frustrating problem.

not to mention the setscrew that hold the pinion on the very shaft is tooooo F%^&ing small!!!!

Who the f%^& is filling these bags.

I wanted to buy serpent again for the quality but what a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

EVAN
evangelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos View Post
hello all,

Have any of you guys had a problem when building the CVD in particular drives hart that connect to the pinion in the gear case.

the pin with the hole which in the dog bone, inserted into the "cup" and finaly the polished pin is used to hold everything together.

the last pin is able to go through all 4 holes in the "cup" and in the pin with the hole inside the dog bone just fine individually BUT when assembling the unit the pin jams and has a very hard time going through the cup (outer) and when it was snapped it the joint seized, make it practically impossible to remove , i finally succeeded but joiint is completely useless and discouraging and very F%^&'n frustrating because the build can't really continue.

how do I deal with the F%^&ing very frustrating problem.

not to mention the setscrew that hold the pinion on the very shaft is tooooo F%^&ing small!!!!

Who the f%^& is filling these bags.

I wanted to buy serpent again for the quality but what a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

EVAN
Sorry for your dissapointment but im not sure I'm following you. Could you post a pic so I know exactly what you are talking about? May be easier to figure out with a visual. Thank you for your patience let's get this monster on the track!
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I will contact serpent usa directly and see what they will do.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos View Post
I will contact serpent usa directly and see what they will do.
They will take care of you.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Strange as I've built several of the GT cars and many 811 kits which have the same installation. All have gone together perfectly without forcing anything at all. Post some pics because I have a feeling you may be doing something wrong.

Serpent USA are very helpful and I'm sure will help you out. Let us know what the problem was because serpent quality is usually second to none.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Serpent GT cvd pin

I would check to see if the pin size your using is correct using a caliper. Im not the best builder but I had no problems with the drivetrain assembly. I often replace worn drive train parts after 3 races.

On a seperate note I would pick up a 3mm pin replacement tool HUDY #10 6000 and some 3mm replacement pins
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I concur, Dan, no problems with assembly at all. I'm sure Serpent can figure out what's happening and help.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Tech Adept

btw, the guys at serpent USA seemed really helpful and the issue will get fixed I am sure.

Now, the problem is this:

each pin slides without any friction when its going through 1 area at a time for example the polished pinion housing of which has 4 holes and the pin went through each set. the same pin slid right through the dog bone cvd pin that has a single hole. there are no other holes to test but when putting the 2 pins together inside the pinion housing the polished pin went in only 90% not right through which is why the ring is required to keep it in place. When I used quite a bit of pressure the pin went through to the other side of the pinion housing but the cvd lost ALL its free movement; it took a great deal of effort to move it in any direction and it would stay in that position.

At first I thought the pin with the hole that takes the horizontal position might have a slight curve sending the polished pin off its mark on the pinion housing making it very difficult to go through and reducing ALL free movement.

Then I though perhaps the interior diameter of pinion housing was reduced somewhere because of the seized movement.

I was frustrated because I wanted to build this car fast and break in my engines and having wrong size setscrews, wrong documentation only increased my frustration with a brand that I have always knows for being top quality. I felt deceived, keep in mind I raced serpent cars for a few years as well as Kyosho 1/8 off road just as long and had great experiences with both and it was hard to choose between this time around and did not expect this.

I find it also interesting being told "for sure YOU are doing some WRONG". Guys this feels like a cult where a person is being attacked, judged for saying something against the leader as if the leader is perfect in all they make. Come on!

Its a defective piece that will get changed!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Cool

Evan,

Glad to hear you got things worked out with them. I hope you don't feel that I was saying you were doing something wrong. You have to understand we answer questions and try to help without knowing you at all. We were all surprised/confused and were asking for pics so we could try and help you. It sounded to me like a bad part but I wanted to see a pic before I sent you to them. If you read your original post maybe you'll understand why those of us who love Serpent took a bit of hit from it.

I simply just wanted to see what you had going on so I knew about it. I help people with these particular cars as well as many others dang near daily so I just wanted to help you out as well. Again I'm sorry for your dissapointment but you will be made right especially once you get her on the track! I look forward to meeting you and rubbing doors with you one day!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I'm not here to point fingers or anything of that nature. I just want to make sure you have as much fun with this as I do.

Warmest Regards