Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Hobao GPX4 Pro >

Hobao GPX4 Pro

Hobao GPX4 Pro

Old 10-26-2007, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Guys

I have just finished building a Pro kit. I have installed a STS D3R that is brand new. At the moment, no mater what i do to the clutch shims the clutch bell binds. My kit did not come with a collet, so i had to use the one that came with the engine.... I had planned to run the engine this weekend, so any assistence would be greatly appreciated.

BB
Old 10-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

there is definitely something wrong if your clutchbell doesn't spin freely. you probably overlooked something. if its not the shimming, check that the flywheel pins are all the way in. sometimes they have a tendency to move out. the pins should be flush at the back end. Im not sure if this might be the problem but you crankshaft might be too short.

Collets are usually standard so that shouldnt be a problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Genius
there is definitely something wrong if your clutchbell doesn't spin freely. you probably overlooked something. if its not the shimming, check that the flywheel pins are all the way in. sometimes they have a tendency to move out. the pins should be flush at the back end. Im not sure if this might be the problem but you crankshaft might be too short.

Collets are usually standard so that shouldnt be a problem.
Genius:

Thank you for your reply... I have mucked around with it today, and come to the conlusion the taper on the collet doesn't suit the the flywheel pushing everything further out then it should be. There is about a 2mm gap between the flywheel and crank case. I have no end float and the clutch bell is flat out spinning.

Bit of an oversight by HoBao...

BB
Old 10-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default One solution

If the collett fits the crankshaft and the flywheel as far as diameter is concerned you can serach for a different collette or trim off 1.5 mm of material from the rear of the collette. You need to square up the cut area also. I have modified a collett in this manner and it worked well.
This will work in a pinch until you can locate the correct fitting collett.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Can anyone confirm if part 22104 graphite radio tray fits the rtr version? I love this car with the ninja 12 in it, but am looking for ways to improve performance by lightening and stiffening. Am getting the carbon fiber f/r shock stays, aluminum brace left #22131, and some spare parts. But instruction manual states that some parts only fit pro version and need to know if radio tray will be a direct fit and if I will need other parts like the radio mounting parts. Let me know as soon as possible if you know if it fits!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

watch out new diff pulley GPX4 and new pinion

Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Where did you get the diff pulley? Whats the size compared to stock, and can it be used on both ends, or does it have to have a certain matching one for other end?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default what fits on a Pro

The carbon upper tray only fits the Pro model as it has the servo's in different places. Also the fuel tank is slightly different, As is the Chassis and all the bits between the chassis and the top plate (different shape battery).
If you can, just get the pro upgrade kit. It has everything you are looking for (including the carbon bits you mentioned).
The biggest difference between the pro and rtr is that the belt is on the other side.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cbmracing
Where did you get the diff pulley? Whats the size compared to stock, and can it be used on both ends, or does it have to have a certain matching one for other end?

The diff pulley was send by Hobao for us to test. I forgot to count the diif pulley but I know this pulley is the same us the Mtx4.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, helps alot. Am going to upgrade over the winter months and prepare for next seasons racing. For now will leave as is for the most part.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know when the new kit will be out(GPX-?).
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProE
Does anyone know when the new kit will be out(GPX-?).
Not sure when the new kit is supposed to come out. I know Jeffry drove it late last year at the Nationals in Houston, TX and finished in the B-Main. Maybe that caused a delay.

I am still running my GPX-4 Pro and learning something everytime out. My latest experiment or Process of elimination learning is shimming up the slop in each axle. I've learned so much about RC cars with this car, it will be hard to change. I finally have that 720/MTX-4 smooth transmission on my Hobao GPX-4 after, shimming, trimming and change in belt types.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi,
After a year break from Nitro I am now returning and will be back with a GPX-4 but only in Sports not Pro.................but its good to be back..
Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Rookie

after reading most of the posts it seems that the pro version of this car is competitive with the koyosho v1 rrr and with a better engine would be just as fast or faster and the handling is good to so for $500.00 aud and then $300.00 for a Axial .12RR Spec 1 Engine so $800.00 aud is a good deal?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ausman123
after reading most of the posts it seems that the pro version of this car is competitive with the koyosho v1 rrr and with a better engine would be just as fast or faster and the handling is good to so for $500.00 aud and then $300.00 for a Axial .12RR Spec 1 Engine so $800.00 aud is a good deal?
I've been running this car for a few years now and running it with some success. There is a lot that needs to be done to put it on par with the top cars. Just make sure you read the posts thoroughly to help with your car and you should be ok. My latest modification to my car was I changed the receiver battery. Because my car was a bit heavy and I wanted to distribute weight towards the front of my car I now run a 5xAAA pack as opposed to the 5x2/3A pack suggested. This gives me a bit more acceleration and speed out the hole. My goal is to redesign the radio tray for this car and eliminate the receiver box now that I am running a 5xAAA pack. I will let you know if I am successful. My power plant up to now is a Picco Red Dot. If you decide to pick one up and run it good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.