R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #646
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartBloys
I have been running a GPX4 for the past three months, I am struggling with the clutch dragging, anyone got some wise words?

Other than that the car is great, I am running it with a Rex .12 for the time being as I am new to the sport.
I don't understand what you mean by clutch dragging. I am under impression you have clutch adjusting nut too tight ; maybe??? Or engine tuning issue. My RTR at start of race can jump from 7th to 3rd by end of straight with book settings.
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #647
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc05hdt
If you have an old Novarossi carb, install that and you shouldn't have any issues with tuning and sticking unlike stock Hyper 12 carb. You might need to go to 6 Volt battery pack as you shouldn't have problem with strength of stock servo. Unless damaged?
No Nova carb... I do have a OS one from a .12TZ, dunno if it will fit though. I am running a rechargeable hump pack, i don't know what voltage it is though. I have yet to check, but it could simply be the pack went flat in the end. The throttle servo does seem to twitch a little though. Does anyone know if these servo horns will fit onto a Futaba servo?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #648
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by clutch dragging. I am under impression you have clutch adjusting nut too tight ; maybe??? Or engine tuning issue. My RTR at start of race can jump from 7th to 3rd by end of straight with book settings.

Thanks for the tip, I adjusted the clutch nut to book setting and it goes like a different car now.
StuartBloys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #649
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked_on
No Nova carb... I do have a OS one from a .12TZ, dunno if it will fit though. I am running a rechargeable hump pack, i don't know what voltage it is though. I have yet to check, but it could simply be the pack went flat in the end. The throttle servo does seem to twitch a little though. Does anyone know if these servo horns will fit onto a Futaba servo?

Thanks
I don't know if OS carb will fit,even though I have two new OS Speeds in shed. I can't check till next month. Anything is better than stock carb IMO as it can be tuned but is a pain to do so. RTR is very good value for money and mine is handling well at moment.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #650
Tech Addict

Quote:
Whats the latest John? Still racing?
Hi Vc05hdt,

Yes I had just finished my 1st race as one of the last few in 'c' main on 6th May 07 with lot of problems - broke my front arm with receiver batt low during the main run...flyweight flyout before reaching 2nd speed...bad setting for the clutch with the shims...don't have much time to do proper setting till my 3rd heat before the main, luckily a helpful shop driver rctech member Joehwee help me out to set the correct setting on my clutch, my flyweight stop flying out till last weekend practise...though my timing still suck with bad corning..lack of practise on reving to 2nd speed before turning the big curve at the end of the striaght....some experts did point out my front suspension is too hard...might need to change the shock oil from 40 to 15 (HPI) for better control...some said just remove the rear anti-roll bar? Now I have a few questions:

Did u drill more than one hole on the shock piston?

is it better to use softer suspension spring like replace the yellow with purple spring for the front for easy control on turning?

Need to do some setting on my remote control setting on the throttle and servos curves...is it better to have less sensitive on both throttle and steering servos?

Anyone tried removing the rear anti-roll bar at all?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=157223&page=2

above link is have some pic I took on that race day during the A main run...

Hopefully can join the next race on July again...
JOHN TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #651
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmain
I am also having trouble with the chutch. it ejects the flywheel weights I have tried all types of shim combos but no luck any advice or suggestions.
make sure u have set the allowance on 0.3 to 1.0mm gap on the clutch bell shoen on manual book page 26. Maybe u can PM Joehwee on that as my case was solved by him.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #652
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN TAN
Hi Vc05hdt,

Yes I had just finished my 1st race as one of the last few in 'c' main on 6th May 07 with lot of problems - broke my front arm with receiver batt low during the main run...flyweight flyout before reaching 2nd speed...bad setting for the clutch with the shims...don't have much time to do proper setting till my 3rd heat before the main, luckily a helpful shop driver rctech member Joehwee help me out to set the correct setting on my clutch, my flyweight stop flying out till last weekend practise...though my timing still suck with bad corning..lack of practise on reving to 2nd speed before turning the big curve at the end of the striaght....some experts did point out my front suspension is too hard...might need to change the shock oil from 40 to 15 (HPI) for better control...some said just remove the rear anti-roll bar? Now I have a few questions:

Did u drill more than one hole on the shock piston?

is it better to use softer suspension spring like replace the yellow with purple spring for the front for easy control on turning?

Need to do some setting on my remote control setting on the throttle and servos curves...is it better to have less sensitive on both throttle and steering servos?

Anyone tried removing the rear anti-roll bar at all?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=157223&page=2

above link is have some pic I took on that race day during the A main run...

Hopefully can join the next race on July again...
Hi John,

my GPX4 RTR as follows;
front anti roll bar doesn't work as threaded retainer grub screws
front pistons now two hole, (extra 1.5mm) yellow springs,45wt Team Losi oil,middle position mount on bulkhead
rear pistons stock one hole,blue springs,40 wt to 30 wt Team Losi oil
rear anti roll bar installed and factory bar,middle position on bulkhead
centax clutch as per factory settings
mtx3 belts
front diff silicon oil 50k mugen
rear diff silicon oil 30k mugen
droop front 3mm
droop rear 4mm
ride height fr 5.5mm
ride height rear 6.5mm
tyres fr grp 37 shore factory
tyres rear 37 shore factory
yet to get tyre truer to play with splits and will experiment with softer oil rear shocks and more incline on colder days
toe out 2 degrees front
toe in 2 degrees rear
negative camber front and back approx 2 degrees
castor thick clip and two clips to back of top a arm
???? more track practice John and maybe try at neutral throttle slight but noticible drag brake.
All the best

Last meet 3rd in Cup race, If i didn't flame out first fuel stop, second easy!!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #653
Tech Adept

John I forgot that CRF motor possibly different torque and power characteristic for factory centax settings
Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #654
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the car again today. I think i got the carby and throttle linkage working better and carby would return to idle correctly. But engine seems rich and has no punch at all, if i try and lean it anymore it revs high at idle and even at the moment after a few laps it starts rev high...

I am starting to think this car is rubbish...
Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #655
Tech Adept

Quote:
I ran the car again today. I think i got the carby and throttle linkage working better and carby would return to idle correctly. But engine seems rich and has no punch at all, if i try and lean it anymore it revs high at idle and even at the moment after a few laps it starts rev high...

Factory carby is junk and causes problems, also check for air leaks on carb onto crankcase. Just get rid of the factory carb for Novarossi one.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #656
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hi John,

my GPX4 RTR as follows;
front anti roll bar doesn't work as threaded retainer grub screws
front pistons now two hole, (extra 1.5mm) yellow springs,45wt Team Losi oil,middle position mount on bulkhead
rear pistons stock one hole,blue springs,40 wt to 30 wt Team Losi oil
rear anti roll bar installed and factory bar,middle position on bulkhead
centax clutch as per factory settings
mtx3 belts
front diff silicon oil 50k mugen
rear diff silicon oil 30k mugen
droop front 3mm
droop rear 4mm
ride height fr 5.5mm
ride height rear 6.5mm
tyres fr grp 37 shore factory
tyres rear 37 shore factory
yet to get tyre truer to play with splits and will experiment with softer oil rear shocks and more incline on colder days
toe out 2 degrees front
toe in 2 degrees rear
negative camber front and back approx 2 degrees
castor thick clip and two clips to back of top a arm
???? more track practice John and maybe try at neutral throttle slight but noticible drag brake.
All the best

Last meet 3rd in Cup race, If i didn't flame out first fuel stop, second easy!!
Thanks for the great tips and setting...vc05hdt...good for u...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #657
Tech Addict

Quote:

The engine is normal stock engine...maybe de to improper tuning...I have the same situation with my CRF engine...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #658
Tech Addict

Quote:
Factory carby is junk and causes problems, also check for air leaks on carb onto crankcase. Just get rid of the factory carb for Novarossi one.
think my CRF carby is junk too...leaking everywhere...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #659
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all, M glad 2hv found tis thread on Gpx4 will do all the little fix needed to free it up will be my 1st racing tis coming 1st of July... out of 60cars registered M the only one using Gpx4...
alvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #660
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinL View Post
Hi all, M glad 2hv found tis thread on Gpx4 will do all the little fix needed to free it up will be my 1st racing tis coming 1st of July... out of 60cars registered M the only one using Gpx4...
Good Luck with first race. All the little tips should assist in you in lasting the race and good driving and pitman!