R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #421
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512
anyone else having the problem of the rear belt wanting running too far to the right side of the rear pulley? my raer belt is actually a tad bit habging off. i dont think this is good.
Hey swerv,
Did you check your Brake Disc Hub to see if your set screw had loosened?
It happened to me once when I upgraded my Brake Disc to a vented one.
Evidently, I didn't put the Locktite on very well. Also check your rear belt carefully, it may have stretched.
It's too bad you've decided to sell your GPX4. During the warm season, nothing compares to racing nitro The roar of engines, the smell of nitro......I only consider racing electric because during the winter months you can race indoors and it keeps me in stride for the race season Anyways, the best of luck!
Regards.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #422
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker360
Hey swerv,
Did you check your Brake Disc Hub to see if your set screw had loosened?
yep, it did loosen. i tightened it up and everything is aligned now.

thanks for the luck! enjoy the warm months and check out the parts i'm selling if you're in need.
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #423
Tech Apprentice

Greetings,
Question regarding the 2 Speed Changer Shoes. On a tight, low bite road course track, from tightened 2.6mm cap screws, about how many turns would you recommend making to achieve optimum shift engagement?
Due to cooler outdoor temp.(50-60 degrees), I'm using Foam Tires, 37 shore on fronts, 35 shore on rears, and yellow springs on front shocks, blue springs on rear shocks.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #424
Tech Regular

i dont think that the shift point depends so much on the "bite" level of the track, but more so on the layout. if the track is really tight i would suggest almost tightening the screws to the point where the 2nd gear wont engage at all. at my favorite local track, suited best to 1/10th scale electric, most of the fast guys tighten their two speed adjusting screws so much that anyone rarely hits second gear. making the tranny shift to second on a tight circuit may hamper your lap times by not allowing 1st gear to wind up into it's "sweet spot." as far as bite goes, if the track has low bite i'd loosen the clutch adjusting nut a bit to allow for a less harsh engagement- ypu dont wanna spend time spinning the tires when you could be going forward.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #425
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to MAJOR

bro,have u had any problems wd d mid belt?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #426
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Belts

Hi,
I am currently using a Team Magic/K Factory G4 side or mid belt and Mugen MTX-3 front and rear belts and have had no problems with belts since switching to this setup on my GPX-4 Pro car in saying that the G4 side/mid belt is a little bit long for the RTR car with standard tensioner. I have found as there is not enough movement in the tensioner to get good tension and was throwing belts all the time until I modified the tensioner that is.

Taffyjnr5
GPX-4 Pro/OS TZ3
GPX-4 RTR/OS TGPX
Spektrum
Scorpion 333
Jaco Nitro Shoes
Taffyjnr5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #427
Tech Regular

how long do you wd40 the belts for?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #428
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
i dont think that the shift point depends so much on the "bite" level of the track, but more so on the layout.
Hey Swerv,
Glad you were able to fix the rear belt problem.
Regarding your quote, the bite level of the track isn't the issue or case, but rather a tight track with a fairly long straightaway. The lower shore rated tires mentioned, rectifies the "bite" problem. I should have been more specific with the scenario. I'm using fine pitched gearing (0.8), First gear at 60/20, Second gear at 54/26. My engine (O.S. TZ) has excellent low to mid range, decent top end. Because of the straightaway, I will definitely need second gear, otherwise, I will burn up the clutch, overheat engine, etc...
Since this car is new to me, I'm still experimenting with proper setup gearing options, and I'm still trying to find the "sweet spot" on the 2 speed changer. Yes, the centax is fine. But I want an idea of how many turns of the 2.6mm screws, from the closed position do you normally make, racing on a track as mentioned above?
I do appreciate any suggestions!
Regards.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #429
Tech Regular

how many turns is difficult to gauge because of the meaning of "long" starightaway. when i say long i mean, long enough to hit 2nd gear and hold it WOT for a 3-1000 count. that's long in my book. my general rule of thumb is to make the car shift somewhere between a third and halfway down the straightaway, but this depends on the corner before the straight. at my local track there's a long sweeper before the straightaway so, we try to hit 2nd gear about a quarter of the way down the straight. anyways... i generally run the 2.6 screws 3 turns out from closed in my scenario. i think only trial and error would determine whats right for you.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #430
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
when i say long i mean, long enough to hit 2nd gear and hold it WOT for a 3-1000 count.
Yes, it is that long, and it too has a wide sweeper before it. It has a tight, but gradual curve at the end, just perfect to let the front one-way do it's thing. Thanks for your response to my question. All I wanted was a starting point to set the 2-speed changer, without having to make extreme adjustments. Thanks Again!
Regards
Old 01-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #431
Tech Addict

Hi Shocker,

May I know what battery did u used foryour gpx4 pro? As I just got it yesterday with out the batt pack??? May I know it use rechargeable 6v batt or 4 AA batt?

Thanks.
John
JOHN TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 AM   #432
Tech Addict

I mean receiver batt...
JOHN TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #433
Tech Regular

i use these. they usually last an entire day of running practice laps and then some. about [email protected] nitrohouse.com. although, i'm thinking of switch to lipo....
http://www.ofna.com/images/EL-10211-batt-BIG.jpg

Last edited by swerv512; 01-31-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #434
Tech Regular

aside from the 5 cell flat pack you can fit a 5 cell AAA pack. that might not last very long though, maybe just a couple qualifying runs. AA batteries are probably too big
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #435
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN TAN
Hi Shocker,

May I know what battery did u used foryour gpx4 pro? As I just got it yesterday with out the batt pack??? May I know it use rechargeable 6v batt or 4 AA batt?

Thanks.
John
Congrats John on your purchase of the GPX4 Pro. Since you are in Singapore, your best and closest supplier of GPX4 parts including batteries would be from RC Mart by Dinball. I've bought lots of upgrades from him and his prices are great, even after paying for shipping
A 5 cell 2/3 6V stick pack Receiver battery is your best bet. RC Mart sells an Intellect 1400mAh 6V (#14005B) for only $14.60 USD. I have this battery and a full charge will last you through a day of racing.