R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!! XRAY RX8 with novarossi kappo .21 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/806674-please-help-xray-rx8-novarossi-kappo-21-a.html)

AL92 04-12-2014 11:30 PM

PLEASE HELP!! XRAY RX8 with novarossi kappo .21

Hi guys,

I have have issues with my rc i cannot seem to get the tune right when i think its right i come back from a full speed run and its idling soooo highhh then goes back to normal checked the temp it was 109.4 degrees, when the car starts it keeps turning off as soon as i pull out the glow plug engnitor i have tryed leaning and richening the lsn and adjusted the hsn accordingly but nothing woorks... so my questions are..

- Why does my car idle so high after a full speed run.. ( before the run it idles fine)
- Why does it keep turning off after i turn it on
- When i turn it on and it warms up i open the slider buy the radio and the wheels will not turn after i have reved it for a while then they start to turn...
- What issues can a slipping clutch shoe or burnt clutch shoe cause ??
- What have i done wrong or what am i.missing ?? Is this a fault wirh this engine or is my.set up of the clutch spring incorrect ?

Also the second gear barly comes on and i have tryed to turn out both screws in the second gear clutch...

Please help im so frustrsted at the moment and i just want it to work so i can race it :(

Thanks all !!! :)

dan_vector 04-13-2014 01:17 AM

Sounds to me based on your description that it is too rich on the lsn it is normal however to bog down and 4 stroke a bit when you first open the throttle from a period of idling. Temp is ok at 109. My advice is to return the engine to factory carb settings and start to retune from there using a NEW novarossi plug. While your at it you also want to check for air leaks in the fuel lines, tank and carb.

AL92 04-13-2014 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 13180124)
Sounds to me based on your description that it is too rich on the lsn it is normal however to bog down and 4 stroke a bit when you first open the throttle from a period of idling. Temp is ok at 109. My advice is to return the engine to factory carb settings and start to retune from there using a NEW novarossi plug. While your at it you also want to check for air leaks in the fuel lines, tank and carb.

THANKS ! I will try what u have said, what would be the best method for checking a air leak ? Also the factory carb settings ar 3.5 turn out hsn and 5 turn out lsn, does that sound correct i got it out of the nova manual that came with my.motor.
Also the engine is about 3 days old and has had about 1.7 litres through it

emancipation007 04-13-2014 06:18 AM

Are you using the radio to adjust the idle if so don't.Just use the carb some times people use both the radio and the carb and the idle goes crazy and hard to control.Also check inside the engine form there are some great engine guys in there.You could also post a video.Did you use the lsn pinch test to see how many seconds the car would run before turning off in order to find out how rich or lean the motor is on the lsn side.109 is not good your plug will go bad if the motor is to rich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8T8SDQ1hGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwzcTPUx8Tk

beebone 04-13-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by AL92 (Post 13180052)
Hi guys,

I have have issues with my rc i cannot seem to get the tune right when i think its right i come back from a full speed run and its idling soooo highhh then goes back to normal checked the temp it was 109.4 degrees, when the car starts it keeps turning off as soon as i pull out the glow plug engnitor i have tryed leaning and richening the lsn and adjusted the hsn accordingly but nothing woorks... so my questions are..

- Why does my car idle so high after a full speed run.. ( before the run it idles fine) Ans: LSN is too rich, HSN is too lean
- Why does it keep turning off after i turn it on Ans: Same as above- When i turn it on and it warms up i open the slider buy the radio and the wheels will not turn after i have reved it for a while then they start to turn...
Ans: Same above, LSN is too rich and clutch spring preload is too high, may be
- What issues can a slipping clutch shoe or burnt clutch shoe cause ?? Ans: High rev and high pitch before the car start to move, due to too much spring preload.
- What have i done wrong or what am i.missing ?? Is this a fault wirh this engine or is my.set up of the clutch spring incorrect ?
Ans: Default clutch setting: spring preload 0.5mm, clutch gap 0.6mm, using leading fly wheel weight. Set it back to default and reset the needle to default. HSN 3.5 turns from full seat, LSN 5.5 turns from full seat, idle approx. 0.1mm. Lean the HSN until you can hear the clear tone but in heavy smoke, lean the LSN until idle can stay high for at least 10 sec then slow idle, adjust the idle down w/o stall. Then put on the track and minor adjust the HSN.

Also the second gear barly comes on and i have tryed to turn out both screws in the second gear clutch...
Ans: Re assemble the 2 speed, turn the 2 screw in until you can barely pull away those shoes and you can see the gap.
Please help im so frustrsted at the moment and i just want it to work so i can race it :(

Thanks all !!! :)

See my answer above

Geezatec 04-13-2014 08:39 AM

At 3.5 turns on HSN and 109degrees it is running too rich.Set your HSN first. 1/8th turn to lean at a time, until smoke dissipate to a second, and it doesn't stall out. Adjust your idle speed it will rise at this time. Idle speed adjusted? Then go to your LSN, Turn LSN to CCW a bit at the time If idle speed drop, condition is rich. Blip you throttle. after a second should drop to idle speed. HSN motor can be 2-2.5 turn from bottom out, depending where you are located. Difficult to say, cuz everyone differs.

It doesn't move when throttle up, Just sits there? You assemble it being a RX8. Probably assemble the clutch shoes incorrectly, maybe 180deg off, check your diagram.

Good luck

AL92 04-23-2014 06:17 AM

Thank you very much for all your responses, i was able to have a Xray racer show me on my own car what i have done wrong, and it was in the clutch set up, my end play and clutch gap was all wrong, and my glow plug was on its way out so i put a new one replaced the clutch shoe,so he also set up my clutch settings, and it works great :)

Thanks again guys :)

dan_vector 04-23-2014 08:21 AM

Ah usual suspects then! Glad to hear your all sorted and I hope you now know how to correctly setup a clutch in future :)

JamesHealey 04-23-2014 02:38 PM

Deffo sounds like it's too rich on the LSN and you've got the idle set too high, try leaning out the LSN until the idle is too high then start to back off the idle screw.

Pinch test the fuel line, squeeze the fuel line about 1cm away from the fuel nipple of the engine, should take 7 seconds to cut out, when you're around this point you know the LSN is right, just set the idle to that.

You will probably find your HSN is a bit too lean too as you've been disguising a too lean HSN with a too rich LSN.