R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy HPI RS4 3 EVO - Tuning

i purchased the rs4 3 evo about a week ago. i have passed the break in period, currently anywhere between 10 and 12 tanks. so i am starting to open it up and go full throttle, and i'm having problems there....

the manual says to start with a baseline tuning, so i did; HSN 3 turns out from closed, and the LSN just about flush (more lean). with that, if i squeeze the trigger, it moves, but does not shift, and really starts to stutter. so, i found that leaning it more did the trick. BUT, by the time it was running well, i'm probably anywhere between 1.5 and 2 turns out. that sounds like a lot to me! is that normal? i can see a little smoke coming out, but not like my other cars/trucks when tuned right; they have a lot more...

i brought it to my local hobby store to have them look at it for a few mins. they were saying its too lean at the top end, so they tried to richen the HSN. that didn't work. they recommended a different type of fuel, because the 20% traxxas fuel i was using, they said, has A LOT of oil. i have some white lightning at home too... think that will help?
ocgstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

White lightning......

A+++++++

Yea thats for sure the problem. I had my buds at 312 with some old blue thunder, I think? , with his hpi motor that came with his rs4 ss. It ran perfectly. Then I riched it a little. Those HPI motors like to run hot.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Jye
Tech Regular

if they have some blue thunder, use that.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Ceratog Send a message via Yahoo to Ceratog

I'm running blue thunder in my RS4 3 EVO. I live in a high temp, high humidity area and I've noticed it doesn't like to crank up unless the high end needle is a little lean (about 2 and a half turns out). Once she warms up I have to richen her up a bit. For some reason, she won't start when the needle is at the optimum running setting... go figure.
Ceratog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Exact problem I had when I was helping my bud out with his SS
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

i was just using it last night for about an hour and a half. it was turned between at about 2 turns out, using white lightning. i guess it does like to run like that... it doesn't stutter at full throttle when its leaned that much, so its getting fuel... i guess i'll find out depending on how long the motor lasts. the only thing that broke last night was the wing on the bmw body...
ocgstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Talking

Does anybody know how to adjust the tranny on these i want it to shift at a higher speed. Any info would be helpful thanks
calrosse is offline   Reply With Quote