R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default nitro TC3 - looking for all advice

slightly experienced with nitro cars. and now im eager to get back into them full time since i cant keep my camaro.. so i bought a used ntc3 from fleabay, picked up an AE 2.4Ghz radio, a tc3 starter box and i think i have a good start, considering ive maxed my hobby budget until my camaro is sold.. lol.

now, ive been reading TONS of posts about ntc3's and there are so many mixed opinions. so, i need some helpful info for what i have planned for it.

-bashing, friendly, noncompetitive racing, and learning more and more about the modern nitro engines, servos and radios.

is the car going to be upgrade-able to the point of being competitive one day?
or at least a competitive back car when i can afford something that isnt discontinued.. ha.

I've attached photos that i have so far. the car is still on its way to me.
Attached Thumbnails
nitro TC3 - looking for all advice-chassistop.jpg   nitro TC3 - looking for all advice-engine.jpg   nitro TC3 - looking for all advice-recievertc3.jpg   nitro TC3 - looking for all advice-radio.jpg  
Zakariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chaos2984

if your just going to beat around with it is fine. But if your going to do any sort of racing at any track that has a lot of boards i would not recommend this car. The car is very fragile. I had one that i won it was the factory team kit and i raced it for one season and it broke very easy. I ran at a track that we setup in the parking lot with wood boards. I would break the pivot balls a lot, they would snap off flush with the rear arms. And the front suspension gearbox cover broke a lot also. The car handled well i thought but just broke really easy. I would recommend getting a mugen mtx4r or a X-ray 09 or 10 all of those you should be able to pick up really cheap. I just picked up 2 08's for 200.

What engine is in that car also. If you are going to do any sort of racing you are going to need a .12 engine. Unless your track has local rules. But .12 is the std in nitro. Typically a decent .12 engine is going to run you around 300. You can sometimes find a new out of date performance engine for 200. I picked up an os .12 tz new for 190 when the xz just came out.

Honestly i would get an nt1. The majority of the car has been the same since day one until this year but all the suspension parts except for the shocks have been the same since the original version with just minor tweaks to it but an arm for a 13 will fix an 08 model car.

garage xray m18(2) 416x nitro rs4 nitro rs4 3 evo traxxas slash hpi savage Xray NT1 MTX4R Tamiya 416x a few nice planes in my hangar.
chaos2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
if your just going to beat around with it is fine. But if your going to do any sort of racing at any track that has a lot of boards i would not recommend this car. The car is very fragile. I had one that i won it was the factory team kit and i raced it for one season and it broke very easy. I ran at a track that we setup in the parking lot with wood boards. I would break the pivot balls a lot, they would snap off flush with the rear arms. And the front suspension gearbox cover broke a lot also. The car handled well i thought but just broke really easy. I would recommend getting a mugen mtx4r or a X-ray 09 or 10 all of those you should be able to pick up really cheap. I just picked up 2 08's for 200.

What engine is in that car also. If you are going to do any sort of racing you are going to need a .12 engine. Unless your track has local rules. But .12 is the std in nitro. Typically a decent .12 engine is going to run you around 300. You can sometimes find a new out of date performance engine for 200. I picked up an os .12 tz new for 190 when the xz just came out.

Honestly i would get an nt1. The majority of the car has been the same since day one until this year but all the suspension parts except for the shocks have been the same since the original version with just minor tweaks to it but an arm for a 13 will fix an 08 model car.
So basically you are telling this guy he wasted his money... your a tool. How about you drive better and stay off the barriers so it doesn't break. To finish first, first you have to finish the race.

Zakariah: This forum can be harsh at times unless you have the latest and greatest to keep up with marketing band wagon. NTC3 is a great car, easy to get parts for and easy to work on. Their are a few little issues with it, but news flash EVERY CAR HAS ISSUES!!!!! Drive it, practice and work on your setup and maintenance skills and progress from their, but more importantly have fun otherwise you will walk away frustrated.
RB_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post

i got this car just to get my foot back in the door and get my skills built back up before i drop 6-700$ on a complete setup. unfortunately i dont have and road course tracks within like 8 hours of me, so im not ready to even think about going competitive yet. but you said the only issue with the tc3 are fragile steering/suspension components? i have found many places selling aftermarket aluminum and carbon replacement parts. plus many other touring cars have the cursed belt drive system (ive always had garbage luck with belt drives) and this is all shaft driven, so im hoping it will hold up better perhaps?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Racer View Post
So basically you are telling this guy he wasted his money... your a tool. How about you drive better and stay off the barriers so it doesn't break. To finish first, first you have to finish the race.

Zakariah: This forum can be harsh at times unless you have the latest and greatest to keep up with marketing band wagon. NTC3 is a great car, easy to get parts for and easy to work on. Their are a few little issues with it, but news flash EVERY CAR HAS ISSUES!!!!! Drive it, practice and work on your setup and maintenance skills and progress from their, but more importantly have fun otherwise you will walk away frustrated.
cant thank you enough, that response has had me searching the internet and scratching my head for hours lol. seems tc3's are easy to come by, as are the durable replacement parts, so it kinda sounds like im on the right path. plus i have a jato 3.3 to fool with as well
Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakariah View Post
cant thank you enough, that response has had me searching the internet and scratching my head for hours lol. seems tc3's are easy to come by, as are the durable replacement parts, so it kinda sounds like im on the right path. plus i have a jato 3.3 to fool with as well
No problem

Don't go to crazy with the alloy upgrades as they can be more fragile as it won't flex it just bends.

Best upgrades would be KFactory fuel tank, bearing upgrades for steering rack, RPM Racing ball ends for all the steering turn buckles and then maybe VerII rear end upgrade. Spares to have on hand pinions, spurs, arms, hubs and pivot balls. And regularly check the crown and pinion gears in the diffs and keep them greased.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

The #1 upgrades are : cut a parma foam(3x8”) pad to fit your car as a new bumper, and shave your axle stubs....
After that, stay off the boards , and have fun......
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
The #1 upgrades are : cut a parma foam(3x8) pad to fit your car as a new bumper, and shave your axle stubs....
After that, stay off the boards , and have fun......
Fuel tank has always been a hot topic with NTC3 since its release. I got a RTR Plus before they got discontinued and tried playing with it last year and always got air bubbles in the fuel line to the engine. I was just running stock engine and not sure if that was issue, but second day I couldn't get the engine to run at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

definitely ordering a new fuel tank, and bumper.

shaving axle stubs.. that sounds slightly more advanced than installing a bumper.

RBracer: your input has helped alot. still impatiently waiting the arrival my tc3 the only experience i have is with a duratrax street force gp2 which was.... 4-5 years ago?

unfortunately there isn't a large r/c population in my area.. or state apparently. so unless i move to another state, I'll probably be bashing with friends and family and getting more familiar with the current nitro r/c standards for a hobby as opposed to an extremely frustrating and costly camaro project car which i'll never be able to race lol.

from the pics, you see i ordered an associated XP2 radio. i had an electric AE buggy back in the day with this same radio i believe. as far as current electronics and radio's, will this one give me what im looking for, as far as a starting point?

some stuck-up hobbyshop owner told me everyone's running new radios when i tried to sell my jato with a tq3 and said the radio is basically an antique. whats the difference? i'm so lost..
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

also, i searched for the Kfactory fuel tank, can't find anyone/anywhere selling, i tried ebay and google. any specific websites you would recommend?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
definitely ordering a new fuel tank, and bumper.

shaving axle stubs.. that sounds slightly more advanced than installing a bumper.

RBracer: your input has helped alot. still impatiently waiting the arrival my tc3 the only experience i have is with a duratrax street force gp2 which was.... 4-5 years ago?

unfortunately there isn't a large r/c population in my area.. or state apparently. so unless i move to another state, I'll probably be bashing with friends and family and getting more familiar with the current nitro r/c standards for a hobby as opposed to an extremely frustrating and costly camaro project car which i'll never be able to race lol.

from the pics, you see i ordered an associated XP2 radio. i had an electric AE buggy back in the day with this same radio i believe. as far as current electronics and radio's, will this one give me what im looking for, as far as a starting point?

some stuck-up hobbyshop owner told me everyone's running new radios when i tried to sell my jato with a tq3 and said the radio is basically an antique. whats the difference? i'm so lost..

You could try rcshopping.com (KFactory and Team Magic direct) for their tank, but it could be a very hard find .

Radios... well the early ones use to have different crystals to change channels to stop clashes. These days everything is running 2.4ghz and they automatically jump to an available channel so you don't have to change anything. They have also reduced the latency (time to transmit and receive data to and from the receiver). You can spend a lot of money on radios like just about everything else in this hobby, at the end of the day it could make a difference as could faster digital servos and it will depend on budget. Most importantly have fun with it
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
slightly experienced with nitro cars. and now im eager to get back into them full time since i cant keep my camaro.. so i bought a used ntc3 from fleabay, picked up an AE 2.4Ghz radio, a tc3 starter box and i think i have a good start, considering ive maxed my hobby budget until my camaro is sold.. lol.

now, ive been reading TONS of posts about ntc3's and there are so many mixed opinions. so, i need some helpful info for what i have planned for it.

-bashing, friendly, noncompetitive racing, and learning more and more about the modern nitro engines, servos and radios.

is the car going to be upgrade-able to the point of being competitive one day?
or at least a competitive back car when i can afford something that isnt discontinued.. ha.

I've attached photos that i have so far. the car is still on its way to me.
.................If you are looking for a good deal on a compeitive car right out of the box check out this one Kyosho USA has the V-ONERRR on sale for just $299.99 Click onto this link http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/110-ON-ROAD_c_1089.html check it out. I have an associatd tc-3 it was ok in the handling department but does not compare to the handling of the V-OneRRR.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Again don't see how this helpful seeing original poster has already purchased the NTC3. Associated will be a lot easier to get parts for in the US then Kyosho.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
Tech Master

Sorry in my opinion an Associated TC-3 does not compare to V1RRR. What I am trying to do is make him aware of his options. You can up grade the TC-3 but in all honesty it is never going to be able to compete against the Serpents , Mugens or V1RRR's. In my opinion he would be better off selling that TC-3 and using that money to purchase a V1rrr but thats just my opinion. What he decides to do is really up to him.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Enjoy the car you purchased and upgrade a few things as you can. If you decide to race, you will want a better chassis. Hone your skills with the tc3 and you'll know when it's time to step up .

Tags
radio advice, tc3 advice, tc3 help