R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chaos2984

i never had any issues with the fuel tank. If you ever need an engine with it go with the .15 from hpi or a .15 from os you can't go wrong with either for bashing. Also if you want to try foam tires you can always pick up foams for really cheap on here or ebay with someone selling them in a lot. Not the right compounds to race with but plenty good for bashing and such and lots cheaper than rubber.

But if your just bashing with it, its a fine car. Also if you do or don't have a body make sure you cut plenty of holes in it for cooling. Buy a fun body you don't need a race body. A big tool your going to need is a temp gun for tuning. I use the duratrax inferred one so i can measure the temp on the glow plug. I don't know where you live but tuning can be a challenge if you get big temp swings. depending on the engine id go with somewhere around 230F with the body on the car. You want to keep the engine on the rich side to make it last longer.

garage xray m18(2) 416x nitro rs4 nitro rs4 3 evo traxxas slash hpi savage Xray NT1 MTX4R Tamiya 416x a few nice planes in my hangar.
chaos2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

i suppose some people speed read.. or dont read.. lol.

-RB and spooky, your input is greatly appreciated.

i purchased a radio from a guy on ebay, advertising it as 2.4Ghz (picture up top)

however, it has a crystal.. im assuming he was mistaken or looking for a rookie buyer such as myself lol. either way, it was 15$ with shipping so i cant complain too much. i just hope i dont have to invest in an antique reciever just to get use out of it. thank you for the clarification there.

(wont know for sure till the car gets here, which should be tomorrow)
Zakariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
i never had any issues with the fuel tank. If you ever need an engine with it go with the .15 from hpi or a .15 from os you can't go wrong with either for bashing. Also if you want to try foam tires you can always pick up foams for really cheap on here or ebay with someone selling them in a lot. Not the right compounds to race with but plenty good for bashing and such and lots cheaper than rubber.

But if your just bashing with it, its a fine car. Also if you do or don't have a body make sure you cut plenty of holes in it for cooling. Buy a fun body you don't need a race body. A big tool your going to need is a temp gun for tuning. I use the duratrax inferred one so i can measure the temp on the glow plug. I don't know where you live but tuning can be a challenge if you get big temp swings. depending on the engine id go with somewhere around 230F with the body on the car. You want to keep the engine on the rich side to make it last longer.

very very helpful. have plenty of bodies, 4 or 5. one from my old duratrax, with plenty of ventilation. gotta get a temp gun (hoping thats not too pricy)
and i was always under the impression foams were for carpet racing, but if they're THAT much cheaper and still hold my car to the pavement, i'll definitely give them a try (might actually have some old ones in storage).
tuning and future engine advice always welcome and super helpful.

i reviewed the pictures i have of my radio and reciever (attached thumbnails to original post) and it looks like i got an FM reciever and an AM radio. sounds like a fail to me.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Zakariah:

Glad to see you still here, it's at this point a lot of people never return to rctech

Sham about the radio, a good cheap option would be a Flysky gt3b 2.4ghz. I think HobbyKing sell them too under own brand. Receivers are cheap making it easy to run multiple cars with same controller.

I had quite a look for the KFactory fuel tank and also had no luck. Your car has the RDLogics exhaust on it which is a nice upgrade. If you need any help only too happy to help.
RB_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #20
Tech Master

Zak, since you are sold on keeping that TC-3 I have a Kfactory fuel tank you can have if interested. Good luck with your racing.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 04-03-2014 at 05:19 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Tech Master

that duratrax temp gun is 25 from towerhobbies. If you get up to 50 bux worth of stuff they give you 4 bux off with code on thier main page.

Yea i picked up foam tires i need for racing this year for 6 bux a pair new. Those where the right compounds i need. I have a bunch of junk compounds that are to hard that i got with buying one of my nitro cars. I use them for tuning the enigne and bashing when not racing. I dont want to chew up my good tires. Yea a normal set of rubber tires will run you about 26 bux or so if you want to put them together yourself of buy a set of slicks that are racing tires. Yes for 1:12 scale they use foam on carpet but for 1:10 sedan we run rubber tires on carpet.

I typically run about 45 compound on the car when i bash or tune. I run 35 37 38 when i race. I dont know what fuel you can get locally or what you like. I usto run dynamite unto i used oddonnel's. And i run oddonnel in every nitro i have except for planes. I typically run 20% race blend. But you dont need race blend for bashing and having fun and the type of engine you have. I would get some regular 20% oddonnel's if you can. People like Byrons' also.

garage xray m18(2) 416x nitro rs4 nitro rs4 3 evo traxxas slash hpi savage Xray NT1 MTX4R Tamiya 416x a few nice planes in my hangar.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

how could i not return to such a welcoming source of help? rctech is now in my favorites on laptop & iphone haha.

cant complain about a 9$ radio, and its certainly good to hear recievers aren't too expensive. its also good to hear payday is tomorrow..

got the car today finally, and the starter box came too! celebration time! with a beer instead of nitro.. lol. still need to get a few more things before i'm ready. the waiting killed me though so i broke down my jato on my lunch break, removed the clogged carb and soaked it in antifreeze. (didnt have carb cleaner handy, plus i heard bad reviews on that, as far as gaskets and rubber degradation)

my brother has also sworn by tower hobbies, i'll definitely be ordering that temp gun tomorrow. along with a glow plug warmer, some fuel line, a few plugs and other stuffs.

the fuel i have access to and was recommended to get at my LHS was traxxas top fuel power plus 20%. for both vehicles (tc3 and jato 3.3). its no more expensive than anything else they offer, but i will report back with a list of what they carry, incase someone here has a better opinion/experience with anything else.

about that tuned pipe.. its BROKEN! however, the seller sent me a brand new Skyline VR12 stinger with the car. i can only hope it is just as good, if not better. box says 50$.

the car came with rubber tires, with v grooves instead of slicks. i'll save them until ive got it tuned up.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Zak, since you are sold on keeping that TC-3 I have a Kfactory fuel tank you can have if interested. Good luck with your racing.
Definitely interested!
perfect example of why i come back to rctech. the rc community is pretty much non existent where i live (richmond virginia) and to find a helpful forum such as this is priceless to a rookie like myself!

and there lies the reason why i won't be racing..

no tracks nearby. closest to me is an hour+ drive, and they only have off-road courses last time i checked. perhaps its time for me to start a movement.

Last edited by Zakariah; 04-03-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Zakariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

also, i have no idea what engine is in this thing. it has "M" on the side of the engine and carburetor, anyone familiar with any manufacturers stamping M's? lol
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
Tech Master

it doesn't have a M3 etched into the cooling head does it??

Go with the hobbico glow starter the big one. Its about 25 box or so but once charged it lasts forever without a recharge. Take some pics of the engine and post them. What kind of starter box did you get did it come with the car. The the car have a pull start on the engine or will it need the start box. You will have to set up the starter box so you can put the car on the box and just push down and it will spin the engine over if it didn't come with the car

Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
it doesn't have a M3 etched into the cooling head does it??

Go with the hobbico glow starter the big one. Its about 25 box or so but once charged it lasts forever without a recharge. Take some pics of the engine and post them. What kind of starter box did you get did it come with the car. The the car have a pull start on the engine or will it need the start box. You will have to set up the starter box so you can put the car on the box and just push down and it will spin the engine over if it didn't come with the car
pics of engine will be posted in 5 minutes, there is one attached to the original post.

nothing etched into the head, just plain purple. i removed the busted exhaust, and when i took pics, noticed NOVA on the opposite side of the engine labelled "M"

i got a new associated starter box (#1750)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
Tech Master

its a older novarossi engine. They are good engines but i don't know which one it is. Have to do some research on it.

The start box should of came with hardware so you can set the box up to the car. You are going to proably have to move the motor setup in the start box to start that car. set the box up so the pegs on the front of the box go threw the lower front arms and against the back of the inside of the arm so you can have the car hit the wheel every time correctly without hitting the chassis. Then set the back with the pegs on the part that moves

Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

more etching behind the motor mounts, i'll post pics sometime tonight or tomorrow. depending on how much more i want to take apart tonight.

and yes, the starter was brand new and adjustable. i'll set that up tomorrow after work. thanks for the help on that.

noticed the pipe i got wont work with that manifold. the engine is a front exhaust, and the old pipe was U shaped. the replacement i was given is straight. what sort of manifold should i get? how can i be sure it will fit the engine and pipe?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is it possible the engine is an old Mugen MT12 or MR12, both were made by Novarossi?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

cannot for the life of me, figure out what manifold to use for this skyline vr 12 stinger pipe. i dont think this pipe was designed for a front exhaust engine on a tc3..

Tags
radio advice, tc3 advice, tc3 help