Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
First time breaking in a GX15 engine, Pull start so tight and hard to pull? can't get >

First time breaking in a GX15 engine, Pull start so tight and hard to pull? can't get

First time breaking in a GX15 engine, Pull start so tight and hard to pull? can't get

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default First time breaking in a GX15 engine, Pull start so tight and hard to pull? can't get

Hi all, I have just rebuilt a Kyosho GX15 engine and replaced the piston rod, Piston head and sleeve, Pin and clip but now i am ready to break in the engine i am having trouble with the pull start being so hard to pull it up that it feels like i might break it and i can't get the engine to start up? Has anyone got any help or advice on what might be going wrong and what might be the best way to get it started to get the break in proccess up and running. I thought i might have put to much fuel into the engine but when i took the glow plug off and tried to drain the engine there wasn't that much fuel in there as i first thought. I did add some WD40 in the glow plug hole after i built the engine just so it had some lubricant to help the piston and sleeve mix together better but i only added 5 small drops so i'm now lost as to what could be wrong Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first ever attempt to break in a nitro engine so i want to get it right first time around and don't want to cut corners or do it wrong. I look forward to your replies and hopefully someone can help me out as i'm hoping to get it started asap. Many thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do you have a heat gun? If the piston is so tight in the sleeve it won't move, then you need to heat the engine up so that the sleeve can expand a little to make it easier to start. Also, you will need to use After-Run/Marvel Mystery Oil instead of WD40. I have personally had much better luck with the After-Run oil over WD40 when rebuilding/storing engines.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Jlock i appreciate the reply, Yea i managed to finely get it started after going over the build again and then heating it up first before trying again. I am now puzzled about kyosho saying that you need to have the needle valve open 3 turns for the first 3 tanks as it just bogs the engine down with to much fuel and just cuts out once i remove the glow starter so i've been told to just turn it down slightly intill it runs without the starter. Hopefully that will be ok and i can still break the engine in without any issues later on. I'm useing 16% fuel and OS8 glow plugs from my GX12 but i'm just wondering if i need to change them for the 15? If anyone has any advice on the best way to break in a GX15 that would be great aswell. I know it's an old engine and these are noob questions but i want to make sure i get it right first time around and i'm in no rush to get it completed so please comment if you think you can help me out. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can use the link below and follow from one of the worlds best

http://murnanmodified.com/breakin.php
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice one Mike i really appreciate the link bud and that will deffenately come in handy when i start again in the morning. Also thanks to all the replies i'm very grateful for all your help!!! Take care all and many thanks