Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centax Clutch Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default Centax Clutch Lifespan

Just wondering how do you guys tell if one of the centax clutch components is well passed its lifespan - i.e flyweights, flywheel, engine nut, clutch spring or shoe? Do each of them have a specific tell tale sign or indication i.e engine free revving but car not moving does indicate that the clutch shoe is worn out, etc...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by coldfusion
Just wondering how do you guys tell if one of the centax clutch components is well passed its lifespan - i.e flyweights, flywheel, engine nut, clutch spring or shoe? Do each of them have a specific tell tale sign or indication i.e engine free revving but car not moving does indicate that the clutch shoe is worn out, etc...
The clutch shoe is the only part that really 'wears out', the matterial just becomes less and if you think it's to small, then just take a new one....
The other parts don't really wear out.. maybe the but needs to be replaced because the sping-tentioner will get to loose, but some locktite can fix that, and the flywheel micht wear out, but you'll notice it when your engine slips on your starterbox....
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yeah, you need to replace the shoe when you cannot ENGAGE your clutch at all........just helped 1 of the MRX4 guy to figure that part out, he cannot get the clutch engage evern the spring nut is 1 turn from the outside thread...replaced the shoe, clutch engaged wth just a little bip....

For Pro racer...replace clutch shoe every 30 minutes of usuage.....for cheap ass like myself...I replaced mine like every 2 race day....cause I am no where near to the PRO level yet.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coldfusion

Mhhhh .... just change some component when it wears out and you cant engage a gear ... BTW, im running the same centax for almost 2 years practicing and racing almost every sunday and its still OK and no hard sign of wear ...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for ya replies guys.

yeah that's what i reckon - the shoe is the main item that needs to be replaced. SO the tell tale sign is really when the car does not ENGAGE and acceleration suffers. But can you also tell by just looking at it??

I've also noticed that the clutch spring also loses its tension after a while. and you just don't get that PUNCH when its new even with the same clutch gap and clearance settings. What do you guys reckon?

The other thing that has screwed me once is the clutch spring nut. It losese its grip after a long while. Thread lock is what i use nowadays before screwing it down but if the thread inside the nut is worn it comes out in the middle of the race
Old 08-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

I see no reason to replace the shoe untill it is worn to the point that the clearance can not be set properly. As it wears, you nead to add a shim to offset the increased clearance as a result of wear on the shoe. At some point the shoe will be too thin to set-up properly, but that should take quite a long time.
The spring will soften over time, and need to be replaced. When spring is too soft, clutch will engage to early and acceleration will decrease.