Wiki Posts
Search

Getting ready to purchase a 3PK, got some additional questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Getting ready to purchase a 3PK, got some additional questions

The title speaks for itself.

I've read about the differences between PCM and HRS. I believe the PCM will be good enough for me.

1. Does PCM support digital servos?
2. Does the Synthesized Module replace the receiver?

Those were the main questions. Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 09:41 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darthswan
The title speaks for itself.

I've read about the differences between PCM and HRS. I believe the PCM will be good enough for me.

1. Does PCM support digital servos?
2. Does the Synthesized Module replace the receiver?

Those were the main questions. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1. Yes
2. I don't understand the question. Are you getting the synthesized 3PK? I didn't buy mine synthesized but I did buy a synthesized module for it. The module goes in the radio (TX) not the car (RX).
Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

With the PCM receiver, you can use analog or digital servos. You have to use digital servos with the HRS receiver.

The synthisized module is only for the radio. You still need crystals for the receiver. The only way around this, is to get a Novak synth receiver. That way you don't need any crystals. I'm not really sure why Futaba even bothered to mfg a synthsized transmitter module without a matching receiver. My advise would be to hold off on the synthisized module and consider getting a 2.5 gh setup like the spectrum or hitec's new module.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
With the PCM receiver, you can use analog or digital servos. You have to use digital servos with the HRS receiver.

The synthisized module is only for the radio. You still need crystals for the receiver. The only way around this, is to get a Novak synth receiver. That way you don't need any crystals. I'm not really sure why Futaba even bothered to mfg a synthsized transmitter module without a matching receiver. My advise would be to hold off on the synthisized module and consider getting a 2.5 gh setup like the spectrum or hitec's new module.
Exactly. The problem with using the Novak receiver is you can't use PCM. I have had nothing but trouble using Spectrum with my 3PK.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah, I too would recommand you to hold off about the SPECTRUM....ppl around me are having glitching problem left and right, but of course, there are ppl without 1 single problem..........but the chance are 50/50.....

I am sure they are working on it, and it will be something better coming out shortly...........
Old 08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

You all are great, thanks for the info.

Could someone explain to me in a little more detail, what the purpose of the unit is, and how does it work?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darthswan
You all are great, thanks for the info.

Could someone explain to me in a little more detail, what the purpose of the unit is, and how does it work?
Spektrun does not need crystal, just like synthisized, but synthisized, you still need to dial a CHANNEL to use, instead of pulling and plugging different crystal...

Spektrum will PICK the open channel by itself, so you basicly just turn on the radio and it will pick the channel that no one is using....very smart and good idea.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Spektrum will PICK the open channel by itself, so you basicly just turn on the radio and it will pick the channel that no one is using....very smart and good idea.
i thought every Spekrum uses the same channel but will select an unused encoding and decoding sequence at start.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only problems I have seen with the spektrum & the 3PK is in EP cars. If you plug a capacitor into the third channel the problem is fixed. I have had no problems running Spektrum with gas cars. I have had 3 running on it for about 8 weeks & I love it. Great choice of radio I love my 3PK.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input, I'll keep this in mind.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soc123_au
The only problems I have seen with the spektrum & the 3PK is in EP cars. If you plug a capacitor into the third channel the problem is fixed. I have had no problems running Spektrum with gas cars. I have had 3 running on it for about 8 weeks & I love it. Great choice of radio I love my 3PK.
spectkum only glitches if the receiver is not clean. Adding the cap surly helps