Serpent Cobra GT RTR or Kyosho GT2 race spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jspeed
GT racing is better than its ever been?
Really?
Who died and made you a historian?

What you have now are just the sloppy seconds of what we built. Remember that when you disrespect GT racing's heritage.
Sorry JSpeed I guess you missed the whole point of both my posts in which I clearly state my responses are from my own personal experience, nothing more. The last 3 years I have raced GT it has gotten better and better and is now a class sanctioned by ROAR. Just my opinion nothing more.

Sorry I'm not out looking for credit or anything like that simply helping out someone who is looking to get into the class. If in fact you are the sole reason the GT class is in existence and we are simply swimming around in your left overs than thank you very much for the class in which I love. Maybe someday I'll get to shake your hand at the track and tell you thank you in person as I truly appreciate all the work you put in to make this class what it is today.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I wasn't at your Miami race but I was on a local parking lot track with 3 of the locals that attended your race while they practiced before leaving............what I perceive that has changed is the fact there must be a dozen 'factory drivers' and several dozen more 'sponsored' racers.

Jeff do you remember the count of 'factory drivers' from back then ???

As far as I remember there weren’t any “pro’s” sandbagging at the big race. You must remember, how they all thought our GT class was stupid.

The sandbaggers didn’t show up until after they all realized GT was the only growing on-road class during the crash of the US economy back then.

Kind of funny when you think about, the “pro’s” came in and average racer attendance levels took a nose dive all over.

The cost to race GT also shot thru the roof too, because most of them worked to kill off the whole “Spec Class” idea that built the class to begin with.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default No Props Here

GT racing is better than its ever been?
Really?
Who died and made you a historian?

What you have now are just the sloppy seconds of what we built. Remember that when you disrespect GT racing's heritage.
Being a part of this great class for about 2 years now... my perception of the "past" of GT racing is why it is better now. Respect is earned not a given, What JSPEED brings to GT racing now far outweighs anything positive you ever did. I wish the moderators would just ban you for good. If you truly cared about the growth and future of GT racing you would be doing positive things to support it growth. But you choose to live in the past and carry on about how great one race was. Really, you have killed any reasons for me to care about the past or ever even consider using your products. Moderators please make it go away.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Its all good Ty, just keeping it real.

All of the GT chassis are good now and anyone who can set-up & drive well can do well with them.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default PROPS DUE !

Thank you for remembering and your props Bro.
Credit due you 1000% !! And I just saw a set of ipanema tires that my buddy bought from Bruckner recently and all I can say you were really way ahead of the time with that warrior body and 41/47 mm tires !!!..
And Jlock, I fully agree with you on the RTR GT2.. It really is a bullit proof idiot proof 1/8th GT car in size and scale !! Thats why I recommended the OP get the GT2 RACE Spec !! Jeff, you really had the biggest turnout in GT history that day...just look at that drivers list...smh !
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yb2fast
Credit due you 1000% !! And I just saw a set of ipanema tires that my buddy bought from Bruckner recently and all I can say you were really way ahead of the time with that warrior body and 41/47 mm tires !!!..
And Jlock, I fully agree with you on the RTR GT2.. It really is a bullit proof idiot proof 1/8th GT car in size and scale !! Thats why I recommended the OP get the GT2 RACE Spec !! Jeff, you really had the biggest turnout in GT history that day...just look at that drivers list...smh !
No problem Yb. Since my Kyosho GT1 and GT2 are from the original US offerings, I only upgraded the things "down the middle". If you noticed from my description, straight cut ring/pinion, transmission, center CVDs, all the center drivetrain of the car. The engine and pipe were not the expensive, "balls out" stuff that has held its own against the competition. Agreed that the Kyosho could use some updating, but it is still a viable car with the right track setups and driving skills, just like any other offering for the class.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock
No problem Yb. Since my Kyosho GT1 and GT2 are from the original US offerings, I only upgraded the things "down the middle". If you noticed from my description, straight cut ring/pinion, transmission, center CVDs, all the center drivetrain of the car. The engine and pipe were not the expensive, "balls out" stuff that has held its own against the competition. Agreed that the Kyosho could use some updating, but it is still a viable car with the right track setups and driving skills, just like any other offering for the class.
COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE MY BROTHER !! Im gonna build a Black hawk tranny from the parts list posted on the forum and test it.....currently running the race spec gearing in both cars and the evolva bell and pinions on long tracks !
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE MY BROTHER !! Im gonna build a Black hawk tranny from the parts list posted on the forum and test it.....currently running the race spec gearing in both cars and the evolva bell and pinions on long tracks !
For big track/serious racing, the Blackhawk transmission is the way to go. I am glad that Kyosho upgraded the 2-speed transmission from the old finger-style to the 2-shoe, but only one first and second speed spur gear choice?!? At least the Blackhawk will give you more options on your spur and clutchbell gears. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with different diff and shock oils (I have several diffs built with different oil rates to quick change when needed).
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Actually, if you want to run the Black Hawk transmission you must use the Kyosho "VS058" clutch bell that comes with the FW05 chassis. Using the IGT2 layout, you'll also need a pair of the Kyosho IS104 universal center drive shafts from the STR Truggy. (Thanks Mika!)

Your spur gearing options wind up being 49, 48, 47 and 45, 44.
Clutch bell gearing options from the Evolva are 15, 16, 17, and 19, 20, 21.

Get some ABEC rated #5 or better ceramic bearings for the transmission mounts and the second gear. You'll be sporting a nice rig.

Can't seem to attach the instructions, or I would, will try later.
Gotta run, have fun.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking at GT class right now, and the serpent kit is more than the gt2 rtr. I'm liking the looks, and the 400 dollar cost of the on sale gt2 race spec right now, vs a 550 dollar kit that needs another 400 to get it working. I'll slowly upgrade the gt2 as stuff breaks with the cost difference. I'd like to use my transmitter, so a receiver is needed.

Last edited by Dr.Cheap; 02-25-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

I wouldn't recommend a Kyosho GT Race Spec to anyone looking to get into the class anymore. The car requires much more than the Serpent to get it raceable and at that point still don't see them beating Serpents. Go Serpent RTR it requires nothing. We have watched new guys come in with both, some wish they got the Serpent others Race them with zero issues. The Kyosho requires a bunch to match the RTR Serpent. Better to invest in a chassis that is upgradable to today's speeds vice invest in something that has fallen behind.

Don't get me wrong Kyosho guys, it is what started the class and shall forever be remembered as the spark of GT. No hate