R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Tom, Motorman,(Mr.Richey) said that he drove for mugen in 1/8 before.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #332
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

broken rear belt

FORGASS President 2006/2007.2007/2008. 2008/2009

V/P Charlotte R/C Raceway

Team Anchor for .. ReD CuP RacinG ..

Team Driver for TORO Fuel
[email protected]
TrickPonYracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #333
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Congrats to Mike Swauger and Harry Hananouchi for taking the gold.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #334
Tech Elite

Barry used to drive 1/8th for odonell using a kyosho. I think its been a year or two since ive heard of Barry running 1/8th but he i'm sure everybody expected him to make the main.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #335
Tech Addict

i stand corrected. At least I know that he hasn't been a regular in 1/8th lately.

His rear belt broke? I wonder if he had a chance to replace his belts between the B.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #336
Tech Elite

Mike Swauger dominated the event even though he was not TQ. He broke in two of the rounds and broke in a motor during the 5th round.

A power strip got flipped off during the first Outlaw A Main, I was getting a soda, so I don't know how it happened. The Laptop was still up and running on battery power, but the decoder box was not.

60 minutes is a bit much for the Open class, 7 cars DNF.

Congrats to the winners, they worked for it!

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #337
Tech Elite

RC scoring pro thanks for the coverage, It was great to see the times in real time. It also showed that nobody had anything for Swauger.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #338
Tech Addict

I'll have a full race report up at SGrid Online by tomorrow. There's a lot to write about.

Masters didn't go as expected, because of a crash, but Harry drove smooth and consistant, and took home the gold. It was a good race.

Outlaw looked like it was going to be all Paolo Morganti, but a power strip had a problem, power died to the scoring computer along with lots of other things, and the lap counting stopped. Josh told (and was penalized for doing so) the announcer that the race needed to be stopped. Josh was right, and the race was stopped, to be re-run later. In the re-run, Josh and Paolo were just about even, but Paolo's engine went boom, leaving Josh free to cruise to a victory. Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment, Josh's pit crew (Regan LeBlanc) accidentally put rear tires on the front, requiring a second pit stop for an additonal tire change. With Paolo our of contention though, Josh could easily make up the lost ground, and went on to victory.

In 1/8 4WD, Mike Swauger clearly had the fastest car - he proved that in qualifying. Mike not only had the power, but drove a flawless race. Many of the other hot-shots had problems - not that they could have stayed with Mikey even if they hadn't. Josh had a couple of problems, Ralph damaged his car in warmup, and it went out later, Barry didn't last very long, Paolo drove well, but couldn't stay on Mikey's pace. Scott Kimbrow was consistently fast from the get-go, and other than one problem which his pit crew (Rich Browne and company) fixed for him, also had a flawless race. Scott drove every bit as well as Mikey, but Mikey had more horses. It's like each brand of car had lots of "bullets", and off they went to a gunfight. Serpent used up most of theirs, as did Kyosho. Mugen had one bullet, and it lasted 'till the end!

So, which brands did better? Well, half the field in Masters Class ran Mugen. There were four Serpents, and two Deltas, so Mugen seemed to do better at getting the "average joe" into the winner's circle. Mugen TQ'd and won, so that's another boost for Mugen being the best choice for Mr. Average.

In Outlaw, half the field was Serpent, with three Kyoshos and thee Mugens. Josh and Paolo were pretty much equal... I think either of them could have done equally well with any of the three brands. Art Carbonell did very well with his Mugen, but in my opinion Josh and Paolo today are where Art was a few years back. With all three brands being very capable, I'd say people should race whichever one they feel most comfortable with.

In 1/8 4WD, Kyosho dominated the very top, qualifying 1, 2, 3, and doing so with three different engines. That's a pretty strong sell for Kyosho. Seven of the twelve cars were Serpent though, so Serpent did pretty well, taking third place in the end. Mike Swauger dominated the event when it came to speed, but Scott Kimbrow looked as good out on the track as Mikey... Kyosho seems to be the strongest car, taking the most abuse without falling apart. I think Barry would do better in 1/8 4WD if he picked one car and stuck with it, and raced it more often. Barry also has an incredible amount of skill, but people like Mike Swauger race 1/8 4WD so often, that the experience adds up and gives them an edge. Still, when I think over the race results, I like what I see in Kyosho too - Josh is a super-star, like Barry, very fast, lots of support, lots of racing in all different classes. Ditto for Ralph Burch. Scott Kimbrow on the other hand is more like Mike Swauger, just concentrating on nitro. In an hour long race, had anything gone wrong with the lead cars, I think Scott would have been the one to capitalize on it and take home the win, especially with someone like Rich Browne setting up his car.

I should add that thanks to a lot of advice I got at the track, regarding the types of photos people would like to see, I changed my photo coverage somewhat. There will be far more photos of the people at the event, and the body-off shots of the chassis of the A-Main racer's cars, and maybe a few less shots of race cars looking good. I'll try to have them all up tomorrow at SGrid Online, http://www.sgrid.com. Yeah, it does cost $25 to subscribe, but for a year's worth of good race coverage, tech articles, and what I think are pretty good photos, I think it's worth it. Sign up one time, and the rest of the year is taken care of.

Very nice track, nicely painted, excellent driver's stand, and a suitable challenging surface. Having to make tire changes adds to the excitement and the challenge. Photos came out awesome - I think Jarrod and I will have some killer shots to post!

Last edited by mikemyers; 11-07-2005 at 05:49 AM.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 AM   #339
Tech Regular

Well the event went great and I would like to thank everyone for coming.. There were a lot of great drivers mentioned below and the racing was exciting...

Kissimmee RC Raceway will be having some great events in 06' so please stay tuned to our site or this forum
KissRcRaceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #340
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Congrats to Mike and Harry and their 1/8th scale victories...see you guys in December.

Also, hats off to the Kissimmee Club...a lot of guys from our area had a great time their..

Also, I heard Ralph Morella was TQ in master class...great job Ralph, representing Region 1....
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #341
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Carl,
When will I see you at the track again?
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #342
Buyer Beware

Congrats to MUGEN....Congrats for SERPENT for hanging in there!
jpilone,where is the report and pics?....kitty
HELLOkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #343
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Is Barry Baker a done deal with Serpent racing 1/8th 960 from now on...? Or he is just a invitation driver for Serpent in this event...? Cause I don't see Serpent website did a official announcment about Baker's arrival...(just a small message hiding under the thread of this event...)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #344
Tech Addict

Kitty, Jarrod's report will be in RC Driver. Mine will be in SGrid, Radio Race Car International, and maybe some other places - don't know yet. Maybe Jarrod writes faster than I do, but there's no way I'll be able to get mine finished until sometime this evening. Way too much to write about, and way too many notes to sort out and incorporate into the write-up.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #345
Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers
Kitty, Jarrod's report will be in RC Driver. Mine will be in SGrid, Radio Race Car International, and maybe some other places - don't know yet. Maybe Jarrod writes faster than I do, but there's no way I'll be able to get mine finished until sometime this evening. Way too much to write about, and way too many notes to sort out and incorporate into the write-up.
thanks Mike....
HELLOkitty is offline   Reply With Quote