Search

car during idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default car during idle

Hi there,

New to nitro here. Anyway here is the problem,

I have an OS. 12 TR NOT .12TR-T. Anyway i followed the instructions for the needles settings the same as the manual given.

Anyway each time i start the engine on the starter box, it fires up fine however the tires keep on spinning. Isnt the tires supposed to be still, but the gears of both the engine and chassis still spinning? With the tires spinning i put the car on the ground and it stalls immediately.

What i would like to know is if the car is supposed to have its gear spinning but not the tires while it is in idle.

Does it have to do with the clutch engaging too early?

If that is the problem. Am i supposed to loosen or tighten the screw on the clutch?

Tiger
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tiger266
Hi there,

New to nitro here. Anyway here is the problem,

I have an OS. 12 TR NOT .12TR-T. Anyway i followed the instructions for the needles settings the same as the manual given.

Anyway each time i start the engine on the starter box, it fires up fine however the tires keep on spinning. Isnt the tires supposed to be still, but the gears of both the engine and chassis still spinning? With the tires spinning i put the car on the ground and it stalls immediately.

What i would like to know is if the car is supposed to have its gear spinning but not the tires while it is in idle.

Does it have to do with the clutch engaging too early?

If that is the problem. Am i supposed to loosen or tighten the screw on the clutch?

Tiger
yes clutch is engaging too early car should sit and idle without wheels etc spinning. also depending on what type of clutch you have in case of centax/centrifugal style clutch you might not have the clutch bell shimmed far enough away from the clutch shoe, which is causing it to drag or engage prematurely.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dynamite
yes clutch is engaging too early car should sit and idle without wheels etc spinning. also depending on what type of clutch you have in case of centax/centrifugal style clutch you might not have the clutch bell shimmed far enough away from the clutch shoe, which is causing it to drag or engage prematurely.
I think mine is the Centrifugal type, it has 3 shoes with springs. What do i need to do so that it doesnt engage too early?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Tech Addict

I'm not sure about those style of clutches as i've only ever played with centax style clutches in touring cars before.

i guess if you were to use heavier spring(s)? or lighten your shoes?

someone will be able to help you here.

what type of car etc is it?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dynamite
I'm not sure about those style of clutches as i've only ever played with centax style clutches in touring cars before.

i guess if you were to use heavier spring(s)? or lighten your shoes?

someone will be able to help you here.

what type of car etc is it?
its a g4 c class not e class.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

You should have a bit of end-play in the clutch bell. it must be shimmed properly. You should be able to spin the clutch bell and have it turn freely (with engine removed). Look at your clutch springs. You may have installed them incorrectly. They are supposed to hold the shoes tight against the clutch nut. They should also be installed in trailing configuration---look at the flywheel from front. In operation it will rotate counterclockwise from this view. The shoes should be installed so that the tip of the shoe follows the end that is installed on the pin.
Sorry if I've given you info that you know, just trying to make sure.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

if you clutch bell spins freely, and that is not the problem, your idle may be set too high. you really need to just set the idle low enough that it will idle reliably for about 45 seconds without dying, and not any higher than that, otherwise you are putting uneeded stress on the engine and clutch/drivetrain assembly.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Its either one of three things i can suspect:

1. Check your clutch bell free play (engine out of car) - it should spin freely without touhcing the clutch shoe (vertical or horizontally). If it doesn't add more inner shims after the clutch nut.

2. Your clutch nut is way too loose - you should have between 0.9 - 1.2mm from the top of the clutch nut to the tip of the threaded engine nut. sometimes it can get loose even after you have tighten. So use a little medium strength thread lock when tighthening the clutch nut.

3. As mentioned previously - if all the above is in order then you are probably running too high an idle. Adjust it so that it does not engage the clutch i.e. wheels don't spin when at idle on the starter box.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

anyway guys i found the problem and it is due to me not reading the instructions properly haha. the way i attached the spring to the clutch nut was the problem.

ANYWAY, now that this problem is solved, I cant get the engine too start, It seemed to flood all the time i try to start the engine, I tried leaning the high end needle, increasing/decreasing the carb hole size but it still doesnt work.

Tiger
Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Hope you don't screw it up

Bring it too your hobbieshop
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tiger266
ANYWAY, now that this problem is solved, I cant get the engine too start, It seemed to flood all the time i try to start the engine, I tried leaning the high end needle, increasing/decreasing the carb hole size but it still doesnt work.

Tiger
If you describe in further details, how it doesn't start, I am sure it will be easier to show you the way to solve the problem.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ah i got it started, it seemed that either the air filter got too much filter oil in it or it got filled up by the nitro fuel from previous flooding. That prevented air from going into the carb.

Anyway, i tried it at my parking lot in my apartment, the floor seems to have low grip and low traction, and each time i apply half throttle the car goes straight however at full throttle, it spins(rear when out not front) out, Any ideas on the setting of the car to correct this problem?

Tiger