R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

NTC3,MTX-4,R-40 i need help deciding which should i buy?

you guys probably see this question come up alot but i'm stuck on the decision of which one to invest my life savings into !And How would you set it up for competion,Engine,pipe,servos ect.All opinions are appreciated.
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Jye
Tech Regular

out of those 3, you should pick the one that has the most parts available. personally i would say the r40 just beacuse the parts are easy to find and the stock kit allows you to choose the upgrades you want was opposed to the mtx-3. you dont really want the ntc3 if your into competition. how much are you going to be able to spend. also by getting the r40 which is a much cheaper kit than the mtx,just because its not as upgraded at first, will allow to have more money for the engine you want. its easier to get the main engine first with a more stock chassis than to get an upgraded chassis with a temporary engine and then have to get another engine in the future. plus R40 has won roar twice
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Get what your local hobby shop stocks parts for. Ask what racers at the shops use, and what they like.

Probably the best thing to do is go to your local track and see what the majority of folks run.

I personally run HPI because of the HPI challenges, which are factory sponsored races. They come up every now and then, and allow you to race against others running the same cars.
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Well the list is a little smaller now as i'm down to either the MTX-3 or -4 or the HPI R 40 and i'm leaning towards the R-40.More so of the Price and the logic that Jye and Tranced had said aboit parts and support.
But could you tell me one thing why all of a sudden the NTC3 is no longer a favorite with High level competion ?when it first came out people jumped at the chance and Pavidas and Baker have won in the past with the car!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
Tech Regular

The NTC3 is still a great car in capable hands,along with alomost every other car out there.Its all about skill.I think the MTX is an amazing car,very durable.The NTC3 is a bit fragile,but parts are plentiful and pretty cheap.

Im sure Ill get some s**t for this one,I wouldnt touch an R40 with a ten foot pole.I can only think of 2 or maybe 3 people that have done well with that car.Its a lead sled.I live like 1 hour away from HPI and its pretty hard to get some of the parts locally.All the "club" racers Ive raced with dumped them and went with the Mugen.

Personally Im building the RD Mongoose.Nice car,alot of hop-ups in the box.Real good parts support here.Keep in mind its your money.Just do yourself a favor and buy what you like,not what we like.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
Tech Master

Yup...get the MTX 3 or 4. A good competitive car and durability is first class.

Over here, plenty of R40 users have switched to the MTX stable. R40's rear belt are also prone to snap quite often.
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Tech Adept

well i'm looking into getting the best that my limited funds will allow and still try to be competative .I'm not into juststreet bashing !what i end up buying will be what i want.I just appreciate the input !
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

Mugen
Fsturbo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're just starting out, then the NTC3 will be more than capable enough to hang with the big boys. A lot of the guys I race with, run an NTC3 and they're competitive with it. I got third place in my last race, in the expert class. I was running a simple Novarossi CX12 engine, on a NTC3 plus.

Now if you're ready to step up to the elite racers, the MTX3, Kyosho RRR, or Serpent 710, are the top of their class. I personnaly would go with the MTX3. OR, wait for the MTX4 which will be out in September. Its easy to find Mugen parts as opposed to the RRR or 710, or even the R40. The MTX3 prospec with the 4mm chasis, is practically indestructible. It can handle A LOT of abuse.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
Jye
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
If you're just starting out, then the NTC3 will be more than capable enough to hang with the big boys. A lot of the guys I race with, run an NTC3 and they're competitive with it. I got third place in my last race, in the expert class. I was running a simple Novarossi CX12 engine, on a NTC3 plus.

Now if you're ready to step up to the elite racers, the MTX3, Kyosho RRR, or Serpent 710, are the top of their class. I personnaly would go with the MTX3. OR, wait for the MTX4 which will be out in September. Its easy to find Mugen parts as opposed to the RRR or 710, or even the R40. The MTX3 prospec with the 4mm chasis, is practically indestructible. It can handle A LOT of abuse.
even though it may be able to easily find parts for mugen, i would say hpi has even more,if not the most. but hey, maybe its just me.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Oh I agree that HPI has more parts availability than mugen, in general...

But when it comes to the R40, I haven't had much success finding any local hobby shops that stock parts for this car, consistently. Which is why I opted to go for the MTX3 rather than the R40. I have heard good things about the R40 though, and I'd like to test one out someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jye
even though it may be able to easily find parts for mugen, i would say hpi has even more,if not the most. but hey, maybe its just me.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Just get the car your local hobby shop or track carries. I've seen it to many times, where people did not race there car because they were waiting on parts. R-40, Mugen MTX3 and NTC3 are good cars.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

Who cares if HPI has more parts,

it's not like it's hard finding any mugen part, Nitrohouse carries almost everything.

They're plently more websites as well.
Fsturbo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
Tech Regular

For me its not about going to a website to order.If youre in a race big or small and a part breaks a website means nothing.I guess all you can do is have a bunch of parts on hand to fix just about anything that might break.

I know here in Socal Kyosho V-1 RRR parts are hard to come by.Even with my Mongoose,before I bought it I made sure that the track I race at carries parts for it.If not I would have bought a Mugen or NTC3.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
Tech Champion

If you intend to race, parts support should be the deciding factor. If you have the budget and the patience for it, then just order spares of "everything" if you want the Mugen, Kyosho, or Serpant. I've seen people leave the raceday early because they couldn't get repair parts, they were not pleased, and came back next time with either a different car, or a truckload of spares.

I'm biased, having decieded to go with the R40 a couple years ago. Don't let anyone tell you it's anything but a race winning car, because it has...twice!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote