Search

OFNA X3 GT SERIES

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by DRRC
Good to know this
I would not like to buy a kit and have to replace the diff case and carry a bunch of gears
If it is as sturdy as the dm1 the new car is going to be a contender

Congratulations on the podium finish with a rtr 28 on this new car
It is a brute of a motor but does not have the powerband of the other motors
Just shows the capability of the car and driver. Congrats

Anyone have videos and more pics?

If you race GT you always have to carry extra gears and whatever parts wear out. Drive pins,dif and tranny parts on some cars, dif cases on others. No car is perfect out of the box. If you go to a 2 day event EVERYONE just about rebuilds the entire car , hour long mains are not easy on a driver or car., why take a chance?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
If you race GT you always have to carry extra gears and whatever parts wear out. Drive pins,dif and tranny parts on some cars, dif cases on others. No car is perfect out of the box. If you go to a 2 day event EVERYONE just about rebuilds the entire car , hour long mains are not easy on a driver or car., why take a chance?
very true
but never broke my diff case in my ofna and broke a total of 2 gears in my 3 dm1s after racing for more than a year with it and I always have 2 cars ready

just want to make sure the new ofna is sturdy, after its first race looks like I might have to try the ofna again
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

very true
but never broke my diff case in my ofna and broke a total of 2 gears in my dm1 after racing for 1 year and I always have 2 cars ready

looks like I might have to try the ofna again

Thats also a good strategy!! wont work on a plane flight though

Breaking parts depends on a lot of things, Luna hasnt broke a dif case yet and the tracks you run on are slow compared to what we have here. You also do not race anywhere near as much as we do (homestead, Joliet, SWCS, Nova challenge etc etc) At the big events saturday night is "rebuild night" all gears are replaced, most bearings and any other sketchy part that you dont want to worry about. And you know "Murphy's law" is in full effect with RC racing!! When you start running the bigger races you will see, i can understand where your coming from because you havent been exposed to the higher levels of competition yet!

It looks like this X3 is a contender, was it run in stock form besides the tank?

Last edited by MantisWorx; 03-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

i thought it was a cam like the serpent but it looks like a laydown brake with the same cam as the dm1
hopefully we will get more pics soon

http://ofna.com/x3gt-nitro-rtr.php
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That body is Sweet. I know I want one.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

All I was saying is if the new car is as sturdy as the old dm1 which I didnt have to rebuild everytime I raced
that's all

Just FYI the DM1 I used in 2 Nova races in Porter never had a broken part, diff or gear. I just want this new car to be like this, not much maintenance needed.
It doesnt matter if I am not exposed to higher level of competition even if I have raced 2 Nova and 1 Roar race there in Porter. Wanted to go to the airtronics 2 yrs in a row could not get vacation time. What matters to me is if the new car is good, I did not want to offend any other car maker.
I am cautious bec there were cars here, not running as fast and not high level of competition as you said, where they had to replace their diff cases (advised by another racer), change to different gears and put a motor shield (dont know why bec the dm1 diff was closer to the motor) bec they were breaking things
I do not want to do that to my next car. Hence the query of how good are the plastics. That's all.

So hopefully a person knowledgeable on this would tell us how good it is.

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Thats also a good strategy!! wont work on a plane flight though

Breaking parts depends on a lot of things, Luna hasnt broke a dif case yet and the tracks you run on are slow compared to what we have here. You also do not race anywhere near as much as we do (homestead, Joliet, SWCS, Nova challenge etc etc) At the big events saturday night is "rebuild night" all gears are replaced, most bearings and any other sketchy part that you dont want to worry about. And you know "Murphy's law" is in full effect with RC racing!! When you start running the bigger races you will see, i can understand where your coming from because you havent been exposed to the higher levels of competition yet!

It looks like this X3 is a contender, was it run in stock form besides the tank?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

All I was saying is if the new car is as sturdy as the old dm1 which I didnt have to rebuild everytime I raced
that's all

Just FYI the DM1 I used in 2 Nova races in Porter never had a broken part, diff or gear. I just want this new car to be like this, not much maintenance needed.
It doesnt matter if I am not exposed to higher level of competition even if I have raced 2 Nova and 1 Roar race there in Porter. Wanted to go to the airtronics 2 yrs in a row could not get vacation time. What matters to me is if the new car is good, I did not want to offend any other car maker.
I am cautious bec there were cars here, not running as fast and not high level of competition as you said, where they had to replace their diff cases (advised by another racer), change to different gears and put a motor shield (dont know why bec the dm1 diff was closer to the motor) bec they were breaking things
I do not want to do that to my next car. Hence the query of how good are the plastics. That's all.

So hopefully a person knowledgeable on this would tell us how good it is.

Sounds like a plan
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

What happened to the TQ car in the main?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Last edited by MantisWorx; 03-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 184 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
servo saver problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
Center drive train came apart. Looks like some Red Loctite would solve the problem though. hehehe it has a little rattle snake in it too

Car looked great on the track no doubt, I'm sure at the price this car will be very popular and be an even better shot at getting new racers into GT.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Actually some parts down the center where prototype option parts and ended up flexing too much and failing, it was something we were trying to address for the center. So the center was a little too short and broke out, so it went into fwd mode and that was too much for the car on the front and heated the front out. But we have new proto parts come in today and will do some more hard practice runs to work on flexibility. We could have run the stock parts but we were trying to push the edge with more acceleration and lighter parts which would have worked but the stretch was not enough. But Craig did a good job of putting down fast laps.

Craig said this car drives without pushing hard and corners fast with little effort, you can tell by the way the car moves around the corner that the chassis roll is very little. The car does not break lose on the rear and stays on track, at least from what I saw on Friday when the traction was up, others were swaying a lot front-rear and side to side, our chassis roll is just right for corner flex and handling.

80wt oil front and rear for the shocks
We did put the insert hinge-pin holders for further setup to work on toe and caster, caster was changed more than anything else and on Fri he went down on the caster to 15 degrees and more toe out because he wanted more steering. But I think he only changed the caster point.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback. Good or bad it is much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

That is a sweet body and nice wheels with brakes

Sweet price too
Anyone know when it will be available?
Thanks
https://www.nitrohouse.com/mobile/pr...p?itemid=16750
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Steve your car looked good all weekend. I think this new X3 will be a great addition to the GT class. I know I'm going to give that body a try as soon as it's available

Marv

Last edited by Aught-Six; 03-10-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.