R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default I need engine help

What causes the motor to loose compression between the piston and sleeve? My motor is a Megatech Neo .16, I used it on a Tmaxx for a while but now I have it on my Nitro Evader st that is setup for drag. If I need a new motor, is HPI Star .15 P/s good?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

overheating and just plain use. what happens is your sleeve expands when it heats up to running/racing temp. now when the engine gets cold, the sleeve contracts. this so far is the normal process. now, when you overheat the sleeve, the sleeve overexpands and when the sleeve cools down, it will not contract all the way. thus, loosing compression. that is where pinching comes into play. since the sleeve has not contracted fully, it has a slightly larger inside diameter now. that is why when you turn the flywheel over, it is easier to turn. the piston is relatively the same exact size but its going up through a sleeve that is larger and making little to no resistance at the top. now you can pinch the outside of the top portion of the sleeve to give the compression back. a lot of guys do this.
hope this helps.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Didnt work... Plan "B"! Is the HPI star .15 motor good? I just need a cheap motor is this a good motor
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Loss of compression will also occur and be accelerated by a lack of lubrication (running the engine too lean or too low an oil content in the fuel)......dirt/foreign matter getting into the engine will also accelerate the engine wear process (always use an air filter and keep it well oiled)
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the help, whenever I order the new motor I'll check the temp more since I think that was the problem. I used a air filter, do I need to run a fuel filter, I dont run it off road at all. Pure asphault or cement driveway.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Drag nitro evader
Attached Thumbnails
I need engine help-untitled1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
thanks for the help, whenever I order the new motor I'll check the temp more since I think that was the problem. I used a air filter, do I need to run a fuel filter, I dont run it off road at all. Pure asphault or cement driveway.
Always use a fuel filter. It will help avoiding dirt get into your engine. Especially when your refuelling.
Cheers. . .