R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to silacomalley
Clutch shoes, how many?

Is there a different outcome to performance depending on how many clutch shoes make up a clutch?

My kyosho only has 2 but I hear people raving & selling clutch's with more clutch shoes.....whats the difference in performance?
silacomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

will the pro cars with centax set up only have one shoe but thats a differn't story,
you can lighten the shoes in your normal set up to make it rev harder before ingageing, (drill holes in the side of the shoes) or put a heavyer oring or spring around them,
3 or 4 shoes might have more contact area over 2 shoes, with my old car i was running two shoes with a .21 and it lasted a long time with no problems,
i hope this helps
kris NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

With a conventional clutch, the more shoes the more response. The clutch will engage faster, and more power will get to the wheels. There will be less lag when you nail the throttle, and there will be plenty of punch ad a "Street Start" speed. The drawback is cost. You will need a new flywheel to complete the assembly, which really is no big deal when your dealing with the complexities of a nitro vehicle. The centax clutch is the latest installment of the centrifugal clutch. A centax clutch, although more complicated and ecpensive, gives good response, with a huge contact patch, when compared to it's shoed counterparts. The Centax clutch, which was initially designed by Serpent, simply pushed one large shoe forward, to make contact with a cone shaped bell. This design is very efficient, more efficient that normal shoed clutches. Many RTR cars and trucks have 2 shoe clutches, while some RTR monster trucks and 4WD vehicles come with 3 shoe clutches. The end result in which works better is determined by the material used, and the quality with which it was made. The initial design also plays an important role. An intensly researched two shoe clutch, with quality engineering can outperform a mildly retarded 3 shoe clutch, with cheap parts, and bad components.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

I almost forgot longevity! The more shoes a clutch has, the longer it should last. In theory, a 3 shoe clutch will last longer than a 2 shoe clutch. The reason for this is that the force of moving the car is being split evenly between 3 portions, rather than 2. The same goes for a 4 shoe clutch. Just for example, if it takes 1 lb of force to move a car, that force would be divided umong the 2 clutch shoes, so the total force on each shoe is .5 lbs. With a 4 shoe clutch, the total force is divided by 4 shoes, each shoe puts .25 lbs of force to the clutch bell. This doesn't always add up to 4 times the longevity, because the shoes in a 4 shoe setup are often smaller than the shoes in a 2 shoe setup, but there still is a larger contact patch, so the force is divided more sparingly.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

good explanation, im glad you said two shoe clutch, with quality engineering can outperform a mildly retarded 3 shoe
because if its set up right and run in i think it should contact on most of the shoe surface
kris NZ is offline   Reply With Quote