Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advise on travelling to race's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Advise on travelling to race's

I have been thinking of travelling to one of the big races great lakes ft myers etc:.
I live in the pacific northwest and have been going to the Timezone grandprix on a regular basis but we drive there and basically bring everything but the kitchen sink . I plan on going to their race again but would like to try one of the others .
I was wondering if the travelling pro's have any advise on what to and what not to pack .
I will travelling with my wife and she is not a pit person so that is another question .
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default airtravel.....

Originally Posted by fasteddie d
I have been thinking of travelling to one of the big races great lakes ft myers etc:.
I live in the pacific northwest and have been going to the Timezone grandprix on a regular basis but we drive there and basically bring everything but the kitchen sink . I plan on going to their race again but would like to try one of the others .
I was wondering if the travelling pro's have any advise on what to and what not to pack .
I will travelling with my wife and she is not a pit person so that is another question .
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Hey fasteddie......I tried to get comfortable with that concept of packing 'all the right stuff'.......and having the airline (TSA) make me throw something in the trash.

If you are sponsored, you'd have a 'support base' at the track site.

Three different scenarios came to my attention while asking your same question......(1) you can 'ship' your car in a 'Home Depot' type 'tool box' (2) you can 'carry-on' your car and pack the other stuff, minus the kitchen sink and (3) pack car and tools etc. for 'check-in' baggage. Remember that you can't take fuel with you and travelling with any 'lipo battery' may be near impossible.

Good luck.......hope to see that 'entourage from North-of -the border' again at TZGP !!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Lipo batteries are absolutely fine to fly with. They must be hand carried and not in hold baggage. Tape the terminals and put them in a lipo charging sack and be prepared to let the TSA inspect them when you go though the security scanners etc. Its much easier than you think to travel with your RC kit.

Just remember that as above you can't take fuel, additive, motor spray etc and all that can be sourced at the destination. I'd recommend hand carrying your car, transmitter and lipos and put the rest as check-in baggage. Should the worst happen and your check-in baggage does get lost then you'd still be able to race with just your car, transmitter and lipos! Us RC folk are pretty helpful and I'm sure you'd be able to borrow the stuff that the airline had misplaced temporarily....

I wouldn't worry about a pit-person... Ive always managed to find another driver/driver's pit person to help me out at the bigger races where my usual suspect can't come.