R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
aaalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: istanbul - turkey
Posts: 196
Send a message via ICQ to aaalp Send a message via MSN to aaalp Send a message via Yahoo to aaalp
Gear ratios, pinions etc.

Hi guys,

Is there an article on the web which is devoted explaining all these gear ratios, pinions, spurs etc on the web. I don't understand much yet about what happens when I change 15T to 16T or 46T to 47T and what I have to change with what.
For example a question from me to you:
I got a very good acceleration on my car (Impulse running on Novarossi N12LS3) but halfway on the straight the engine reaches the top RPM and therefore the car reaches it's top speed and can not go any faster. I think by using different gear ratios (pinions) or spurs?, the car would have better performance. What should I change and what effect would that have on the acceleration and top speed?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
aaalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

If you need more top speed - Bigger pinion, smaller spur
If you need more acceleration - Smaller pinion, bigger spur

Change the pinions at first, if the difference in ratio is too much (overgeared) try 1 or 2 teeth larger spur with the bigger pinions. You could also try some teeth smaller spur with the smaller pinions.
__________________
JMI Motorsport / Red Bull Racing
HB Cyclone TC - Schumacher CAT SX & Cougar SV
Advanced Electronics - Autopartner.se - Sav÷x - NorthTQ
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicane.
Posts: 855
Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,

Is there an article on the web which is devoted explaining all these gear ratios, pinions, spurs etc on the web. I don't understand much yet about what happens when I change 15T to 16T or 46T to 47T and what I have to change with what.
For example a question from me to you:
I got a very good acceleration on my car (Impulse running on Novarossi N12LS3) but halfway on the straight the engine reaches the top RPM and therefore the car reaches it's top speed and can not go any faster. I think by using different gear ratios (pinions) or spurs?, the car would have better performance. What should I change and what effect would that have on the acceleration and top speed?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Does your Impulse have two-speed tranny ?
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
aaalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: istanbul - turkey
Posts: 196
Send a message via ICQ to aaalp Send a message via MSN to aaalp Send a message via Yahoo to aaalp
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand
Does your Impulse have two-speed tranny ?
Yes. It is running with the standard 2 shoe clutch. The pinions and rear diff. is also standard.

I've also ordered rear axle solid + 46 T for better performance. What else do you think I should buy?
aaalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicane.
Posts: 855
Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaalp
Yes. It is running with the standard 2 shoe clutch. The pinions and rear diff. is also standard.

I've also ordered rear axle solid + 46 T for better performance. What else do you think I should buy?
why would you want to get a solid rear axle ?
solid rear + rubber tires + tc body = disaster.

speaking of the gearing, you might want to get a tooth or two bigger second gear pinion. that should add more top speed on the back straight.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
aaalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: istanbul - turkey
Posts: 196
Send a message via ICQ to aaalp Send a message via MSN to aaalp Send a message via Yahoo to aaalp
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand
why would you want to get a solid rear axle ?
solid rear + rubber tires + tc body = disaster.

speaking of the gearing, you might want to get a tooth or two bigger second gear pinion. that should add more top speed on the back straight.
Would you recommend using the solid rear axle on a high grip track with foam (JACO) tires? The body is Stratus 3.1 from Protoform.
aaalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand
why would you want to get a solid rear axle ?
solid rear + rubber tires + tc body = disaster.

speaking of the gearing, you might want to get a tooth or two bigger second gear pinion. that should add more top speed on the back straight.


Mhhh ... front solid + rear solid + rubbers + good setup = GREAT combination ...
__________________
Patricio "PATO" Concha

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear ratios? mrmcphearson Rookie Zone 4 07-03-2008 08:21 AM
Gear Ratios/ Spur Gear Sparky7B Rookie Zone 2 02-26-2008 10:03 PM
help with gear ratios! moot Electric On-Road 1 03-15-2005 02:43 AM
tc3 gear ratios? kh15 Electric On-Road 3 07-24-2004 02:13 AM
Gear Ratios.... Rain Rookie Zone 4 11-14-2003 07:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net