R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-03-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro touring cars with GTP bodies

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone thought of the new class of bodies for the 1/10 nitro touring cars. Should they be allowed to run with the old bodies or does Roar need to create a new class? If you do not know what bodies I am talking about, they are the lola and nissan GTP bodies.

They can make Turbo .12s legal for this class. Run it just like the .15 open and 1/8th scale.

Just my thoughts what are yours?
rcTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 11:57 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Sadly, I doubt ROAR or NORRCA will ever legalize GTP or Lola bodies for -sedan- racing because they are not -sedan- bodies. There are however many clubs/raceways that will have classes where any body is legal. Most are called "expert" or "foam" or even "outlaw" classes.

I race both types. Same car (MTX2) but completely different handling when a Lola type body is used.
Leet TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 12:06 PM   #3
Suspended

Smile How True!

While it is true Roar and other "sanctioning" bodies do not allow any bodies other than those they choose to allow, we still have the option of running "any"body that will fit.
Just do not try to do so at a sanctioned event.
I personally like to run a Ford Super Truck Body, It really looks cool going around the track!
Jamracing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:09 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I like the idea, but Im not sure it would be practial and it would be the end of the touring car industry. Right now you have a select few companies like Yokomo, Kawahara, and a few others making lola bodies for 200mm cars. I have a Yok GTP body and it gives massive downforce, but I almost dont like it because it takes all the skill and challenge of setting your car up. You can just punch it through most of the track and coast through some. With sedans (which I ran for a long time) you have to worry about keeping your back end tight. If Roar or any other sanctioned body were to accept GTP as a class, you would see people getting board with their V1Rs, MTX2s, Impulses... and there would be a massive move to 10th pan car (235mm) and 8th. Think about it, touring cars are just smaller versions. They are now allowing foam tyres, one ways, 2 speeds, faster engines... I do like the look of the GTP bodies, but they just provide too much downforce eliminating the skill of having a well tuned race car.
Mobil1_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:35 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

is this the one you guys are talking about?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
...I do like the look of the GTP bodies, but they just provide too much downforce eliminating the skill of having a well tuned race car.
I'm guessing the fast 1/12th scale drivers will have some things to say about this!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 11:54 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Well, I disagree that using a Lola body makes tuning your suspension irrelevant. In fact, there are times (given the choice) I would prefer using a good sedan body with a good spoiler.

Lola bodies do give great downforce, and are the best aerodynamic bodies you can have. But on short tracks that is not an advantage, and if you have lots of tight turns you may find all that downforce is causing understeer. So you DO have some serious suspension tweaking under those circumstances.
Leet TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 12:56 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobil1_2001
I like the idea, but Im not sure it would be practial and it would be the end of the touring car industry..
YUP.

1:1 racers have almost the same classes. & there is a reason for that.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:44 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

i just finished my lola for my gt-4 and it looks pretty sic! as for advantage, sure it will be more advantageuos, but i don't think my skills play any less of a factor. you're still gonna have to set it up as well as tune the engine (case in point - ron from the engine tuning thread). what i'm trying to say is that an advantage doesn't necessarily mean a win. i think the influence of 1/8th scale on-road is good. it allows us to come close to the 1/8 scale experience w/o the price tag or the technicality. i'm hoping the lola/gtp craze becomes more than just a fad. for big tracks like crystal park, i think 1/10th scale 4 wd tc will push the envelope of what we are already capable of doing. a step backwards? not really. consider the concept of the dialectic, and you'll see i'm right
diesel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:04 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by diesel31
i just finished my lola for my gt-4 and it looks pretty sic! as for advantage, sure it will be more advantageuos, but i don't think my skills play any less of a factor. you're still gonna have to set it up as well as tune the engine (case in point - ron from the engine tuning thread). what i'm trying to say is that an advantage doesn't necessarily mean a win. i think the influence of 1/8th scale on-road is good. it allows us to come close to the 1/8 scale experience w/o the price tag or the technicality. i'm hoping the lola/gtp craze becomes more than just a fad. for big tracks like crystal park, i think 1/10th scale 4 wd tc will push the envelope of what we are already capable of doing. a step backwards? not really. consider the concept of the dialectic, and you'll see i'm right
um, wow...I totally agree..or something
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 05:59 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Foger Rox

YUP.

1:1 racers have almost the same classes. & there is a reason for that.
But with 1:1 cars the GTP style cars have loads more horsepower then the sedans, and they go alot faster.

Psyco: Point well taken, but having raced 12th scale a bit I know there isnt as much of a challenge getting the back end to stick. I know in touring cars, on parking lot tracks, because often they are so dusty and unprepared it is hard to keep the back end down.

Leet TC3: Downforce in the rear doesn't necissarily mean understeer. If you put harder tyres in the front you will have the same bite in front and neither over or under steer.

It is necissary to change your setup somewhat, but my un-tuned MTX2 was at the front of the pack with the GTP body, and towards the back without it (due to the lack of rear traction).
Mobil1_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

With a lot of the newer cars(nt1,mtx4,v10, and v1rrr) they make a 220 mm conversion
rcuniverse feedback: 46+/0-
rctech feedback: 21+/0-
5crossyourlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I have one on order K1004-1.

http://www.kfactoryracing.com/prolis...10135229-20567
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote