R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help in deciding which touring car

Ok I'm real new at this 1/10th touring car decision. So what I'm looking for is you guys opinion on what car to get. Only cars i have anything of experience with is Serpents when I raced 1/8th scale. So please any info is appreciated and I'd like to do this right the first time out money is no object so I'm looking for top notch kits. I'll prob run the Rody engine if I can find one.

James
22dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

I'd wait for the Mugen Mtx-4, should be a real nice performer.

The RB Rody V12 is a good engine..
Fsturbo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

bottom line is parts support, what do your LHS carry or are you prepared to wait a few days for mail order parts?

all the race level kits out now are competative weiter it be mugen, serpent, hpi, ofna etc etc. it all comes down to your own personal preference. surf the forums and reaserch what catches your eye as well as the compitition.

the driver makes the car not the other way around.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by regg151
bottom line is parts support, what do your LHS carry or are you prepared to wait a few days for mail order parts?

all the race level kits out now are competative weiter it be mugen, serpent, hpi, ofna etc etc. it all comes down to your own personal preference. surf the forums and reaserch what catches your eye as well as the compitition.

the driver makes the car not the other way around.
There is not really a local hobby shop so my parts will be purchased via internet and phone calls no big deal on my end I'll purchase 2 kits when i do and have one as spares and or a backup.

I guess the purpose of asking which car was to get feedback on the cars that set up easier or maybe a bit more user friendly, and what to stay away from due to maybe part shortages or lack of support. I understand there's pros and cons for ea kit but I'm looking for the more pros than cons if this makes any sense. Just like to do this right the first time.

Right now it looks to be either the serpent 710 or the Mugen MTX4

any feedback on either product? I know the MTX4 isn't out yet but how about from you guys that have the MTX3?

James
Old 07-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dasher
Ok I'm real new at this 1/10th touring car decision. So what I'm looking for is you guys opinion on what car to get. Only cars i have anything of experience with is Serpents when I raced 1/8th scale. So please any info is appreciated and I'd like to do this right the first time out money is no object so I'm looking for top notch kits. I'll prob run the Rody engine if I can find one.

James

Go directly to your closest shop and buy a RDLogics Mongoose or Team Magic New G4 Evo ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I currently run a MTX-3. If you cant wait for the MTX-4. I'd suggest the Kyosho V1 RRR
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Jye
Tech Regular

How about getting a kyosho v-one rrr for now, and if you really want to, but your 2nd kit when the mtx-4 comes out. But like someone said, its prefrence really.hpi r40 kyosho mugen rdlogcis temm magic. cant go wrong with any really. if money were no object for two kits, id say v-one rrr and r40 or mtx-3. i say r40 because it seems hpi parts are pretty easy to find, and the car has won roar twice. check out the yokomo car also.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to aaalp Send a message via MSN to aaalp Send a message via Yahoo to aaalp
I'd say go for Serpent 710. I am driving an Impulse, although it's an older model, parts are still easy to find, a lot of information is available about the car, parts and setups on Serpent's website. And when I need parts, I order them through the internet shops, and in max. one week I got the parts at home.
aaalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jye
How about getting a kyosho v-one rrr for now, and if you really want to, but your 2nd kit when the mtx-4 comes out. But like someone said, its prefrence really.hpi r40 kyosho mugen rdlogcis temm magic. cant go wrong with any really. if money were no object for two kits, id say v-one rrr and r40 or mtx-3. i say r40 because it seems hpi parts are pretty easy to find, and the car has won roar twice. check out the yokomo car also.
its all hara baby

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Thanks guys For now to get my feet wet I'm going to get the MTX-3 and when the MTX-4 comes out I'll get that kit as well. Mugen says late Sept. Don't want to wait that long for the kit. If Serpent comes up with something new I may look into it as well. As for RDlogics and the others I'm not up to par on those not any really but never heard of them so for now I'll back off those kits for now not saying they are bad just unsure of parts sources for now.

James
Old 07-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to goosein LV
Default joke

stay away from the r40 it is a sponsored friendly car out of the box the car ways a ton then youll have to spend more $$$$ just to lighten it up & to access diffs is a nightmare ithe car only won the races because of who had it ie hara id say rd logics mongoose or mugen mtx4 mongoose for price reasons weight is 1735 mugen due to the support
goosein LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

My top picks would be: Mugen MTX-4, Serpent 710, V-One RRR WCE, or the Hyper GPX-4 by Ofna.

theyre all great and competitive kits, not sure on the parts availibility of the GPX or the MTX-4, but i know that the S710 and the V-One RRR parts are widely available to any hobby shops that carry parts for the kits. if you decide to get the RRR make sure to stock up on Belts and Rear diff outdrives.

Good Luck on your desicion man. you'll be happy with either one of the cars that i listed above. and there are always people at the track running these cars. so tuning the car wont be a big issue at all for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'd be going with the RD Logics Mongoose (Same as Team Magic G4 Evo). All the parts are available online from www.rdlogics.com if you're in the states.

Mugen seems to only work exceptionally well for the factory drivers and those that can work through all the setup stuff to get the car right and lighten the drive train.

The Mongoose works really well with minimum effort on setup (even I could get it balanced right ).

Either way, it depends on how good an engineer and driver you are as to what sedan you want to run.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 AM   #14
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
My top picks would be: Mugen MTX-4, Serpent 710, V-One RRR WCE, or the Hyper GPX-4 by Ofna.

theyre all great and competitive kits, not sure on the parts availibility of the GPX or the MTX-4, but i know that the S710 and the V-One RRR parts are widely available to any hobby shops that carry parts for the kits. if you decide to get the RRR make sure to stock up on Belts and Rear diff outdrives.

Good Luck on your desicion man. you'll be happy with either one of the cars that i listed above. and there are always people at the track running these cars. so tuning the car wont be a big issue at all for you.
I don't see a Mongoose on your list, what happened? Tired to type?