R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-08-2002, 02:48 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Cooling head for RB 5port turbo X12T

I wanted to replace the cooling head on my RB x12t and I was wondering if someone had any recommendations on aftermarket heads for this motor (Kawahara, Zspeed, Odonnell, etc)....or should I just stick with another stock one?

Thanks in advance!
Evolsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 04:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I run the Z-Speed on mine and like it...
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:03 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Default cooling heads

I have tried several on my Novarossi based engines. The O'Donnell is nice, but no cooling slots on the sides. The Kawahara is a slightly larger version of the stock Novarossi type. The Z-speed is almost identical to the stock Novarossi type, just alot better looking (appears machined vs. cast). The Hardcore Mutant head looks awesome and its huge, but again no cooling slots. Powerline makes one labeled for the T-Maxx, but if you use your stock button it's a direct fit, and it's less expensive than all other options. Just look for something taller (more fins), larger in diameter, with cooling slots for cross ventilation. It doesn't matter if it's 1-piece or 2-piece, and of course color choice is up to you. Any one of these aftermarket heads will reduce temps and allow you to lean it out a little further. Hope some of my rambling helped!
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:12 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys.......what are my options for a direct fit? I do not want to have to modify the button or the heatsink? Will the button that comes with the Z speed fit on my X12T?
Evolsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:40 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

All the heads mentioned in my post are direct fits. The O'Donnell and the Hardcore are 1-piece designs. The rest are all 2-piece. The stock button you have should fit in any of the 2-piece designs, or you can use the supplied button (with exception of the Powerline head for the T-Maxx, the button supplied is for a .15 and cannot be used, use your stock button). The Kawahara head does not include a button, you'll have to use your own. If you want the Z-Speed make sure you specify Turbo or Non-Turbo, you have a choice with this one (the rest are all Non-Turbo). Also, found this out the hard way, if your RB is one of the new short rod Novarossi engines the stock button is thicker than normal to make up for the recessed piston sleeve. If you have the thicker button you must use it with the 2-piece heads. If you don't the head will tighten down to the crankcase but the button will still be loose. The only 2-piece head that works with an aftermarket or older thin button is the Powerline. It's designed to sit on top of the button, everything tightens up right. Prices on any of these heads will range from $30-$60.. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default M-speed

a friend of mine using m-speed head for hsi rb x12..a direct replacement...no modification required...
http://www.mspeed-jp.com
deeno_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:05 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Default M-Speed

WOW! If you can manage to get around on their website you can see some really awesome stuff. Where can I get my hands on their procucts? Do they have an english version of their website? How about a distributor stateside? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:12 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Crazy Nut,

now also makes a great head:

Crazy Nut head
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:05 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

deeno_x, I have a Japanese to English translator, so I don't need the English version of their site. A source to buy from would be great though! Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:49 AM   #10
Tech Adept

You could also use RB's .12 buggy head. It's a "mini" C5 looking head with 11 fins and a little bigger around than stock and also has 2 slots at the bottom of each side to get to the motor mount screws, it's part #1700-004.

http://www.rbproducts.com/rbww/news/1700-004.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1700-004lt.jpg (15.8 KB, 104 views)
ronin8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:02 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

NTC3NUT,
m-speed mod engine are damm fast..can u imagine os tr m-speed modified 3 port non turbo can eat rb,jp,nova 5 port.....The only downside is their price....
Os tr 3 port m-speed modified cost around usd500..same price as rb c5 rody modified...I use altavista translation http://babel.altavista.com/tr page 2 browser their website...some shop here carry m-speed product...
deeno_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Same translator I'm using. Do you have a contact or website I can go to to buy? Do they sell direct, can I buy and have shipped here? I used to do that stuff all the time for my kids with their Pokemon stuff. My turn now. As always any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.