R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Jack, I was at the GLC this weekend and missed you. I had a few questions regarding the new tires. Seems as if the tires are really designed for high bite low tire wear tracks, similar to the GLC. What happens to the tires performance when it wears down to the inner foam?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Hey Jack, I was at the GLC this weekend and missed you. I had a few questions regarding the new tires. Seems as if the tires are really designed for high bite low tire wear tracks, similar to the GLC. What happens to the tires performance when it wears down to the inner foam?
Yea I too have the same question. I race at a track this weekend that wears 2-2.5mm rear left every 10 minutes using 37 shore. Using tires harder than 40 won't work for that track, so how would the two stages work under such circumstances? Thanks.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #78
Tech Regular

I was at the GLC race in Toledo. I was using 40 front and 42 rear 2 stage tires.

They performed great all weekend. At first I was woried about running them so close to the inner core (60-62mm split) but the wear I was getting was unbeleivable.

Great work JACO. The wear was excellent. In a half hour main i had about 1mm of wear!

BTW I finished 3rd in the B Main.

John Rabbito

Question: On an unprepared asphalt surface will they out perform the regular compound? (wear and performance)
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

we ran both wraps non wraps and other brand tires. I can say the wraps were faster but I had to upsize to a larger tire than I uaually like to run. At 60mm the outer shell is pretty thin. no problem with forward bite at that dia but the side bite fell off fast at that dia as the outer core peeled from the inner at the edge.(only on the rear) I went to standard 40 jaco tires for most of the weekend but had an issue with the rears peeling from the rim (tires I bought last year and I know there was some batch issue) so I switched around into some other brands. I ran 61/2 mm wraps in the main and my car was hooked but the electronics fairy decided my throttle servo needed to die. that was frusturation as we thought the engine was out of tune and it just went downhill from there.

Ps we found (thanks to a tip from Mike B) that we needed to significantly increase the rear camber to protect the outer edge of the tire. It helped stop the edge peel at the rear. when trying to run 60 mm tires. for us to run 59/58 for qualifying that just isn't going to happen with the wraps.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:36 AM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
In sedan we TQ'd and had 8 out of 10 (not sure about the bump-up) running 2 stage tires. Josh had a 1 1/2 lap lead in the main, but blew a one-way in his diff. and Paulo from Serpent won (congrats to him, by the way). He was not on the tires.
In 1/8 Josh TQ'd and was in the lead in the main again, but caught a glitch and broke. Paulo won 1/8 too. We had Ralph and Josh testing the 2 stage in 1/8 and they were amazingly fast until the bite came way up. Then we had issues with the inner core breaking down on the rears as a result of the added stress on the tires. The incredible amount of bite they get coupled with the hosepower these guys were laying down was too much for the tire. They did not come apart, but blistered as a result of the base foam breaking down under heat and stress. The 1/10 tires had no such issues and performed great. There were 7 out of 10 in the 1/8 main running our tires.
I would ask that anyone who was at the race and either ran the tires or had observations to post comments. Despite not winning, I was thrilled with both the performance of the tires and the drivers' reactions to running them.
hi,
can you explain to me what the technical effects of these tires are?
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running the tires on my sedan for a couple weeks at Toledo. Two weeks ago the traction was nothing like it was at the GLC and with the old tires I would wear 2mm a run easy. With the wraps the wear was about half if not less. I think (take as you will) the the inner foam makes the tire act like a softer foam and you have much more forward traction. When I switched the car pushed and i couldn't throw it around like I normaly would. I also am thinking that with the more forward traction you have alot less wheel spin comming out of the corners so there is less wear. All I know is that I like them alot and after Fri I was 7th over all and I didn't get a run in on Sat due to lets say technical problems and Sun was worse because I blew up my motor in the last qual. 6gal w/o a rebuild hmmmmmm

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Jaco wraps

I was fortunate this past weekend to try a set of these 1/8 scale tires. There is some very good potential here. I believe with some more testing that these tires will be the choice of many. Like Jack says these tires have more grip and forward traction then non-wrap tires. Thanks for your help and support Jack.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Here are a couple observations about the tires that we learned this weekend: First, you need to run more camber than on a normal tire. This prevents the edges from "ripping" up (the base foam will rip apart from the racing rubber if you run the tires low and are way off on your camber). Barry Baker and Mike Blackstock were having this problem until Josh convinced them to run 4 degrees instead of 2 degrees of camber. Instantly they were faster and had no tire wear issues the rest of the weekend. They were able to run the tires right down to the base foam with even wear and no ripping.
Another thing we learned is that we will shrink the base foam another 1mm in diameter to allow you to run smaller tires on certain cars. We did this on our 1/12 tires and it did not negatively effect the performance.
As far as using 2-stage 40's on the rear on a track where 40's are too hard...I would try it. These tires get so much bite that you can usually go 3-5 shore harder on the rears with no loss of traction. This will result in better tire wear by using the firmer compound.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Thats really good information, especially reducing the inner core diameter to provide additional meat to the outer surface.... Do you know if the existing tire durometers will measure the shore accurately, considering our tire durometer springs were modified based on GRP standards? When will the 1/8th tires be available, as I mentioned it to Tom from Bruckner Hobbies.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #85
Tech Fanatic

I'm not sure what has been done to your durometer. We use a type C Asker which is what the rubber is measured by at the factory. I also have a Paris that reads pretty close to that. The 1/8 tires will not be released until we strengthen the core foam to the point that they are more durable. I would guess that it will be in September sometime. They should be available for the Nats.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Years ago, Ron Paris would modify the spring on the PTR durometers which coincided with the GRP standards...at least that's what we were told.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #87
Tech Regular

I have to say that the wear rate is much better with the Jaco two stage sedan tires.
Like I said before the tires make the car more locked in, and more consistant.
For the 40 min. main in Toledo, I started with 62.5 mm rears and 61.5 mm fronts. After the main they were 60.25 mm in the rear and 60 mm in the front. There was no sign of tire seperation. Also I ran 42 rears and 40 fronts, which is what I ran most of the weekend, I just ran them a little bigger for the main.

Walter
walterhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #88
Tech Fanatic

Actually, the "standards" are set by using a shore type C Asker. The PTC duro is calibrated at the factory to mimic the numbers on the type C. The numbers on the GRP rubber should match the industry standards (as I suspect they do- they make a fine tire) and I am not aware of any special deviation from that scale that is exclusive to them.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #89

Send a message via AIM to Uneke Send a message via Yahoo to Uneke

I ran the stage 2 tires at the GLC and experienced all the same advatages and problems that most others did.

I wish I would have known about the camber adjustment. I gave up on the tires early saturday because of the seperation of the foam.
Uneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #90
Tech Master

For anyone who is interested - Halo Hobbies does have all Jaco tires in stock! Stop by or give us a call if you need anything.

Jeffrey - Normally we run 35-38 shore rear 1/8 tires in Toledo. We were able to switch to 2-Stage tires and run 40-42 shore tires and achieve more traction with much less wear. I think once Jack perfects the construction and materials and we can work with the cars more to get the maximum out of the tires, we will be running .3-.5 per lap faster on them with less wear on any and every surface.